• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  take me to where the devil won't go

Mondrian

Hi!

A transparent ear twists back at the voice behind him before he can stop it, but Mondrian keeps his gaze resolutely forward, on the dark filly's blazing horns, on the damp that clings the second filly's skin. He does not look behind him.

Hello?

No, he desperately ignores the bit of shade that tries to get his attention, offers the foals standing in front of him a soft, perplexed, expression. No, the Flaming One says. What are you, the Wet One asks. Neither girl takes notice of the second child-sized wraith standing in their midst.

I know you can hear me. I saw you hear me!

Mondrian's heart might skip a beat if it weren't as still as the ice he left behind. A touch of panic blooms within his belly though, and he screws his eyes shut tight.

"I didn't hear you!" He cries out suddenly, his own words contradicting him as he leaps away from the dead child and towards the little xenomorph girl blindly, "I can't hear you!"

His body falls right through her, as she might walk through smoke or fog, and then he stumbles, trips over his own feet or the memory of someone long-dead, the memory of a rock or a stick - one washed away, rotted away, eons ago - that once tripped some other child. Memories can be perilous. He falls at the sea-serpent's feet, landing half-buried in the earth without disturbing a single grain of soil. The denied ghost child has faded but he can feel her sadness on the air like a sigh.

Guilt burns in his chest, joining the fear, and then, a flood of embarrassment. He wonders why these emotions follow him into the Afterlife when nothing else does. What were they talking about?

"I mean... Uh... I can hear you. And, um, I'm a boy?" He offers them what he hopes is a convincing grin.

Nailed it.

Photo by Greysen Johnson on Unsplash

@[Nasrin]

Messages In This Thread
    take me to where the devil won't go - by Derelict - 09-10-2020, 05:55 PM
    RE: take me to where the devil won't go - by Aldrich - 09-15-2020, 09:06 AM