• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'm an ancient soul in a cascade world; hourglass
    Aureus

oh, these wings, they flicker and my feathers stir
    'til I'm an ancient soul in a cascade world

Time has been kind to Aureus. He has grown in the months since he has seen the girl of glass, although he is still coltish in his build. He races past a year old and his body has grown more muscular in that time, his tail lengthening, the coltish softness of his face beginning to bleed away. He is nearly adult in the way that he walks, but it is the changes in his mind that are the most profound—the ones within him.

His fathers have taken him and his sister to the island, and he has grown there.

He has swam along the shallowest edges of the shores and raced his sister down the beach. He has spent nights with his father and Astrum, watching as the stars begin to dapple the night sky, turning their silvery light downward and washing them milky in their glow. He has grown more confident in that time, although never quite broken through the shyness; still, he is more studious than panicked, these days.

When he finds her, it is as he wanders through the meadow, the sun hanging at its peak.

It always feels strange to travel without Astrum, but when the sun catches the glass of her, he cannot deny that a part of him is grateful to be without the jealous star. He would explain to her later how he met the girl of glass again; he would let her pout when they were by themselves.

Instead, in the here and now, he feels nothing but a quiet joy warming his chest as he walks toward her.

“Hello again,” his voice is deeper, but still quiet, his eyes nearly hidden by the swath of forelock.

“What are you pretending today?”

He says it without thinking and then pauses, wondering if calling back to their earliest days of make believe was a childish thing to say now. Embarrassed, he falls quiet, although the smile doesn’t leave.

and I'm quick with the bullet when it comes undone
    I got a head like a turret with a mouth for a gun

She has grown, too, and she is almost surprised by it. She half expected her glass body to splinter and break as it shaped itself into svelte curves and delicate lines, she had almost thought that maybe bodies like hers were not made to reshape and reform. But the magic here is endless, and of course it is fitting that a girl of glass finds herself on the cusp of adulthood instead of shattered into shards on the ground.

It further feeds the notion that maybe she is invincible.

The sunlight is warm where she stands in the meadow, glinting brightly off the red glass – sharp and vibrant, like fire, before it bleeds into the glittering spiral on her chest. Her eyes are closed in a rare moment of quiet for her; she was still just as lively as she had been when she was much younger, the harshness of the world having not yet dimmed her glow, but she was learning to appreciate the serenity of just letting her mind be empty.

She almost does not recognize his voice, but the warmth that spreads through her veins when she opens her eyes to a familiar face is unlike anything she has felt before. “Aureus,” she exclaims in a breathless laugh, rushing forward to curl her neck around his without hesitation. His skin feels cool compared to the heat of her glass, and she pulls away hastily, afraid that she might burn him if she touches him for too long. But the smile does not falter from her face, and she laughs again at his question, and it immediately brings back memories of fireflies and knights and jealous stars. “I was pretending to be calm and relaxed, but, it’s actually kind of boring.”

Her eyes return to his face, and she can feel heat rising to her cheeks when she realizes that he has become handsome. Suddenly overcome by a foreign shyness she casts her eyes to the ground, swallowing the feeling away before looking back at him and asking softly, “How have you been? I’ve missed you.”

I don’t believe that anybody
    feels the way I do about you now
    H  O  U  R  G  L  A S S