• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open quest]  they all go into the dark, round II [MATURE]
    There is no color here.

There is a faint buzzing in her ears as Frenzy blinks hard, trying to force the colors back into the world. It only takes a glance downward to realize that color is gone - the galaxy patterns on her legs are muted, the blues and purples faded into grey and white swirls. She trembles, panic flooding her as she looks around to the others, praying to find a familiar face among the other newly dead. Unlike several of the others, however, she doesn’t recognize any of them. Perhaps that is for the best - if any of her family had ended up here with her, she thinks it would drive her to the brink.

There is a thick white fog in the distance, and even without the dark God’s prompting, something draws Frenzy toward it. She notices the others moving into it as well, but quickly they are swallowed up in the distance and Frenzy can hear none of her plights. She only knows that there is something dark beyond the fog, something that drags her forward almost as if she no longer has any control over her limbs. The buzzing begins to grow louder now, but it is still gentle enough in her mind to push to the side. It is unimportant. All that matters is this fog, and the <I>thing</I> that awaits her on the other side.

She is alone for the first part of her journey - there are other souls here as well (of course there are, this is the Afterlife!), but she is able to ignore them for the most part. Most of them don’t even manifest as anything more than faint balls of light in the distance, but every now and then a muted grey mare smiles at her or a dark stallion pins his ears and turns away. It is unsettling, but Frenzy doesn’t mind the silent company.

It is the one who follows along, pleading at her heels, that has her twitching irritably and holding back tears.

“Frenzy,” it calls, the voice deep but familiar, “look at me. Please.” There is a warmth in it, but Frenzy cannot turn her head to look at the horse.
    A horse that in life, had been known as the golden mare. Her coat had shone like a newly polished penny, but now it is a dull grey that reflects no light at all. It seems as though death has not settled well with her at all, as her scars from life have refused to heal. There is a new one as well, still weeping blood, from the teeth of Frenzy’s half-brother. Her guardian. The one that had sworn to protect Frenzy for her life, and yet had been forced to destroy the one thing Frenzy needed most of all.

Her mother.

Cress is crying, pleading, but Frenzy only picks up her pace, praying to put her dam behind her. The buzzing grows in her head, fighting to drown out Cress’s cries, but nothing seems to overpower the mare’s pitiful whimpering as she begs her daughter to stay with her, just for a moment. “Please,” she says, anguished, and Frenzy can’t decide if she pities her mother or despises her for the way she is crying, “please, stay with me, my dear. We never got to know each other in life, but we can know each other now. Please, my daughter.”

It is that word - daughter - that trips Frenzy up, and she turns to Cress, flames building in her throat as colorless tears flood her cheeks. <b>“Stop!”</b> she screams at her dam, tongues of flame tickling her gums as smoke curls around her face.<b> “You are dead! I’m not supposed to be here! Just leave me ALONE!”</b>

She accentuates that last word with a burst of flame, but the half-hearted attack backfires on her. Flames explode in her face and pain engulfs her as she is burned yet again by her own fire, but Cress has gotten the point. Blood drips from Frenzy’s ruined faces as the once-golden mare disappears back into the fog, her sobs growing quieter as pain takes over all of Frenzy’s senses. Carnage had said they cannot die again - they’re already dead, after all - but this pain is nearly as bad as being burned from the inside out, and Frenzy wonders what will happen if she falls unconscious here.

But she cannot stop moving through the fog.

Slower this time she continues on, the buzzing continuing to grow in her head. She is crying freely, begging to be freed from the pain, but eventually the buzzing drowns out even the agony of her ruined face.

She doesn’t even notice the fog anymore.
    Just the buzzing.

<b>“Please, stop,”</b> she begs, eyes closed against the buzz of a trillion cicadas, ears pinned flat against her head as if that will help drown out the sound. There is nothing in the world anymore aside from the buzzing - not the other unfortunate souls, not her mother, not the fog, not even Frenzy.

She just wants it to stop.

Eventually her legs cease to exist as well, and she doesn’t even notice that she’s stopped moving and the fog has faded before a large cliff. It is here that Carnage, maybe, will find her, curled up tight on the ground with her head tucked firmly between her forelimbs.

Only, she doesn’t exist. This doesn’t exist.

Just the buzzing, incessant enough that it is all she can hear and feel. It almost has a taste as well, but that could just be the blood.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: they all go into the dark, round II [MATURE] - by frenzy - 08-14-2020, 07:52 PM