• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Stars and shadows ain't good to see by [Eurwen]
    Darkness curls around her as her anxiety deepens, the shadows growing so thick that they nearly become objects themselves, with body and substance, and even the bright light of Nerine does not cut through them Her bright coat darkens beneath them - the shadows cast shadows. Eurwen's words are incomprehensible at first, but the word 'sister' falls on her ears like the first glimpse of sun in the morning, brightening the blue dusk of dawn. Like dawn, she fades back to gold suddenly, anxiety wiped away by shock, and she lifts her head high atop a long neck, curled ear tips kissing together while dark eyes search the spotted mare's. 

"Sister? I--" Her words cut off abruptly, stopped up by ringing clarity. Not the child of her missing mother, but of Leilan. His true daughter, one of his blood, and Beryl bites at the inside of her cheek, intrigued, excited, guilty. She had never even considered the family he might have out in the world. The distant loss of her dam feels suddenly smaller. Sister. But there is a strange note of reproval in Eurwen's voice before she says the word and the young palomino is quick to grasp at it, as she often does, holding strong to that negative emotion.

"No," there is a soft sadness to the smile that treads lightly across her face, "No, not quite" Not quite sisters, she wonders if that will make it better or worse for Eurwen. Beryl is desperate for connection, but the rose-gold woman doesn't seem as eager, not at first, and so she pulls back, "He found me, on the Isle, half-drowned and mostly frozen through."

It's not a day she often chooses to remember, though one that certainly she remembers more often than she would like, and one that has left an indelible mark on the bright and happy child she had always been before. The risk of losing herself to the fear and pain of that day is strong and Beryl curls her neck, her nose pressing against the dancing colors of the galaxy that drips down her shoulder, staining the yellow with blue and red and purple. The sun-warmed skin there grounds her. "I was very young, and I was dying, and he saved me."

A deep breath. She is not frozen. She is not drowning. The sunlight is bright and clear, and the young mare looks up again. Eurwen has changed the subject without her noticing.

"You... you want me to move the rocks?" Her brow crinkles, confused, brown eyes turning to the pebbles piled not far away, and then back to the spotted mare. Back to her sister, "Yes, I could."

But why? her silence asks.
    Image by Kharthian

@[Eurwen]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Stars and shadows ain't good to see by [Eurwen] - by Beryl - 07-04-2020, 12:46 PM