• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I don't want to stay in the dark

The scaled one, Leilan, is… odd. Mesec’s friendly smile falters for the briefest of moments at the implication made that he had known this was the spot for recruitment, but was feigning his ignorance.

What would the point of such a falsehood be? Are the inhabitants of this continent so unaccustomed to outside visitors? These are some of many questions Mesec might ask, but it does not seem worth the effort to defend the honour of his honesty to this stranger.

It certainly makes choosing the next step easier, though.

Further easier by the description of the surely beautiful but harsh and apparently prone to fire land described to him.

So he finds his smile again, diplomatic. “I have to say, I’m not as hardy as I had once been. I am not sure I could handle the hardships you described.” Especially for his retirement. What Mesec doesn’t explain is that he had lived in a place much like what Leilan describes when he was a foal. He fears the near-constant presence of snow or the dance of the aurora overhead will remind him of the time his sister tried to rip the wings from his body. Or the constant feeling of being other  and apart from the lives of his flesh and blood.

Although his family had made amends, there are some memories that do not fade. They are only suffered - and Mesec maintains his soft smile as these thoughts race.

“So I think I might prefer Loess, or prefer to visit there first.” This isn’t a for-sure decision, after all. He’s fairly sure he doesn’t have to decide the one place he’ll be living in the rest of his days at this exact moment. Though maybe that's another custom this land has set in place. It is, at least, nice to know there is a spot where he can go to just mingle not far from here.

“Thanks for the welcome, though.”

Mesec

going to toss Mesec into Loess. Thanks for the thread kids!

Messages In This Thread
    I don't want to stay in the dark - by Mesec - 05-18-2020, 09:10 PM
    RE: I don't want to stay in the dark - by Leilan - 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
    RE: I don't want to stay in the dark - by Malone - 05-25-2020, 08:08 PM
    RE: I don't want to stay in the dark - by Mesec - 05-25-2020, 08:38 PM
    RE: I don't want to stay in the dark - by Leilan - 05-27-2020, 12:05 PM
    RE: I don't want to stay in the dark - by Malone - 06-10-2020, 11:42 PM
    RE: I don't want to stay in the dark - by Mesec - 06-29-2020, 06:45 PM