• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  | Let the moment break you, Luster |
    Nashua is the one who never seemed to find himself alone.

His twin, Yanhua, was the one who always seemed to find himself lonely. But for now, that was alright. He preferred to linger in quiet solitude most days since their mother had been taken away from them, an effort to ride out the spastic headaches and general body pains ‘maturity’ had brought on. He’d been a tender youth as it was, acutely aware that his sensitivities arose from the gift of feeling memories his mother had passed on to him, but lately the growing pains added in had driven the growing yearling further into himself and simultaneously further away from the normal company he’d seek.

Mother. Nash. Brazen. They, along with a smattering of new names who’d come into the picture recently, (an attempt to fill in the gaping hole his mother left when she’d been stolen) could do very little to offer him relief, so the chestnut colt sighed to himself and walked alone among the roots and through the ferns until he began to feel a little better.

It was kind of hard not to. When his thoughts weren’t so bent on the anguish of losing his mother and dealing with the idea that he and his twin brother might be growing in separate directions - two branches of the same tree - Yanhua could start to feel the faint echoes of Taiga around him. The history of this place… it was so much more than words to him. Taiga had ghosts, and the memories they left behind were faint auras he could more or less sense as he trod along a little deerpath. Fresher memories, the ones left by those who lived here currently, often showed themselves as little glimpses of moments: laughter only he could hear, the hushed affections of lovers. Warm, sensational pricks of sunlight that touched his heart.

The older echoes were much more subtle, and yet they left the same warmth all the same when he focused in on their energy. The past lives drenched every fern, permeated every tree, rolled in and out with the fog. If he was quiet enough, calm enough, Yanhua could focus on that warmth until it dulled the ache in his bones. He paused in a single, slanting ray of light; somehow the brilliant dash of gold had broken through the canopy overhead, and in its pleasant glow Yanhua beamed, literally. Fire danced across his skin, sparkled as a yellow flame in his mane and tail, and gave him an almost touchable glow. He seemed less awkward and with both eyes closed, totally at peace.

But a few seconds later the moment broke.
    A cloud cut across the light, and Yanhua’s mysticism faded. He was back to being the leggy, awkward youth, his face clenched with a tired sort of pain. A stronger echo touched him, acrid and bittersweet. Sadness. It swept into him like a tide and under the dark waves, he saw blue tears and the face of a beautiful mare focusing sharply against a background of black. “Ahhh…” He groaned aloud, and then he opened his eyes once more to find that the border of Sylva was looming in the distance.

She stood there, the beautiful face under the dark ocean. He watched her quietly and then Yanhua blinked his long, blonde lashes over a set of warm blue eyes before asking her, “Would you like me to go? I’m sorry… if I intruded on your solitude.”

Sadness sought out solace. He knew that.
    He knew that well.

ooc: whaaaaat no i did not just ignore pressing plot replies to make something for @[luster]
    Here's the debut of Yanhua <3

come to me in the night hours, i will wait for you

She is as much a ghost as the memory of the man that lives inside her thoughts, as empty as the hole he left carved out of the pulp of her broken heart. There is no place that feels like home, because home had become the touch of his lips and the way it had felt to be loved by him. So she drifts through different places with different memories, letting each one wound her because at least in these wounds the past feels nearer. Feels close enough that if she just closes her eyes and drift to the dark, she could disappear inside them once more.

He would probably think her a stranger now, probably not recognize this dark that brews inside her chest and leaves her empty and lost beneath the stars, beneath a sky that feels too big and too deep when once she had thought it so beautiful. But now she looks up and wonders why gravity even holds her here, why she doesn’t simply come untethered and fall away into a never ending doom of cold dark stars.

Maybe she would be happy there with nothing that lives inside her chest.

But she is already so lost to a darkness of her own making that she doesn’t even notice the boy, or that muscle memory has her walking along the border of Taiga and Sylva. One the home of her parents, the other the place her heart broke for the very first time. Still, that pain seems dull compared to the rest. Stillwater was never hers, though she’ll always love him and the moments they spent together.

She blinks at an odd sound that tries so hard to pull her from her quiet reverie, taking several stumbling seconds to recognize that the sound is a voice and the voice belongs to a boy who watches her in a way that reminds her of someone she loves. Of her Merry. Though, physically they are truly so opposite, one all dark and shadow, and this boy bright like the reflection of sunshine trapped in copper ore. She frowns, because it seems that’s all she remembers how to do anymore, and then frowns again because she wishes she hadn’t.

“This isn’t solitude.” She says finally, and her voice is so quiet and a little chaffed from so little use, and all the starlight has faded from it. He might be confused by her answer since by all definitions this is solitude. A woman alone in a forest. But it is only because he cannot see the ghosts that stand with her. “It’s harder to find than it used to be.” She drifts closer, and she isn’t sure why, because others always ask too many questions and make her bring these old agonies to life again. But there is something so gentle in the way he watches her, like he knows she is fragile and so close to shattering apart. Or that she already has and now he has to be careful not to crush all the pieces scattered about.

“Should I want you to go?” Her voice is still so quiet, but something about his gentleness gentles her too.

Luster
         i can't help but love you
    even though i try not to
    Any other horse might’ve felt a hard twinge of rejection at Luster’s bitter response. At face value, the words sounded clipped and unwelcome - as cold as the chips of ice that washed ashore on Taiga’s rocky beach during the winter. They were quiet but not lacking that edge of warning to them, and even though Yanhua is but a boy he’s a young colt raised in manners and decorum. He’s wise enough in his youth to understand when not to speak while being spoken to, but to listen and reflect on what was being said. He found that oftentimes what was unspoken granted him a deeper insight than if the space between breaths was just filled with empty words.

What goes unsaid by Luster is something deeper and much more riveting than anything she could’ve spoken aloud. It’s true: Yanhua is young and fresh-faced, hardly out of foalhood and nowhere near an expert with his powers, but he is probably one of the few in Beqanna who could truly, earnestly empathize with the blue roan mare. He nodded his head gently, understanding her comment about one’s personal ghosts, and tried his best to accept what she was telling him without getting caught up in the emotion of it - but for someone so unpracticed, a thing like restraint was hard on him.

Harder still when she drifted closer, and even more hard to ignore because of the strength in her feelings.

“Of course not.” He assured her, dropping his head with acute agony. It pained him to cause her unrest, but her unrest also began to cause him pain. The sensation of just being near her… it made him breathless, truly. He felt hollow and dead, and what had once been a dull headache now felt like a stabbing migraine. The sheer intensity of her depression! It was, to him, flashes of Lilliana leaving Taiga and being forced to break their family apart by necessity. It was glimpses of Nashua racing off without him, flaring his brilliant wings and taking to the skies where Yanhua couldn’t follow. It was everything sad and horrible he’d been trying to forget recently, but intensified until he thought it might completely overwhelm him, body and soul.

“I can hardly stand to brush away flies.” He managed to smile, squinting as he looked up into her mesmerizing white-and-silver face. How could he, when he knew their pain like it was his own? “I’m about as threatening as-” The young chestnut bit his tongue and clenched his eyes shut.

He hated to offend her in any way, but he couldn’t stand it any longer. Yanhua bit back the flood of hot tears threatening to break loose and drug his cracked, worn hooves backwards a few paces. The effect wasn’t exactly ideal but it would do for now. He could at least catch his breath and open his eyes again, glancing at Luster with an expression of innocent humiliation.

“Sorry, I’m so sorry.” Came the rushed apology. “It’s not you, it’s me. My... powers.” The emotionally distraught colt did his best to explain. “Sometimes I need my space.” Yanhua shrugged and regretted the movement immediately for the discomfort it gave him. “That’s what I’m doing out here all alone.”

ooc: again I skip all other replies to give attention to this beautiful thread <3 #worthit
    @[luster]