• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I have never been nothing; lepis, any
    i feel
    a bad moon rising
    She can tell the moment Dracarys sees her, the moment that the searching look in the blue mare fades. The emotion that replaces it is unexpected, and Lepis does not disguise the brief flicker of her ears in uncertainty. There is no need to hide her perplexion, not from a fellow Loessian that she does not have reason to doubt. Still, Lepis does not return the hard scowl or anger that she sees flashing in Dracarys eye. Instead, when her ears flick back forward, there is nothing but a narrowing of her eyes and a puzzled purse of her lips.

Something had clearly happened, but what? Castile had returned smelling of smoke and fire, but alone that was not uncommon for a dragon. His delay in returning had been all the prompt she had needed following her conversation with a certain white mare. Seizing control of the kingdom was necessary; a place floundered when leaderless. Floundered more than they could have handled, the dun mare knows, especially in their already weakened state. She’d done what was needed, and had hoped that Dracarys would have news of what had happened in the far north when she returned.

Dracarys scoffs at Lepis’ gladness of her safety. Lepis does not reply. Instead, she waits, for she is certain there is much more the younger mare has to say. Lepis is correct, of course, and the blue shares a tale that finally wipes the mild confusion from Lepis’ face.

"He…what?" she begins, and then cuts herself off. "No, no. Of course he did." She mutters softly, profanity barely audible, and then shakes her head as Dracarys asks her fourth question. It’s not one that Lepis can answer – what the dragon king can and cannot control are not known to her. Are we just tyrants now, Dracarys asks, and Lepis shakes her head more firmly.

"Certainly not." She answers the younger woman. While she is more greatful than ever now for the quick actions she had taken following the piebald’s leave-taking (at least Loess is not responsible for the actions of a man that was not their king) that does nothing to mitigate the damage that was done. "Your grandfather was trapped as a dragon by the fairies," she tells the blue mare, but her tone is not one of apology or excuses. This is simply the truth as she knows it. "I can’t claim to know what it is like to be such a creature, but he had become progressively more unstable in the last few months. So much so that when he left, I assumed the worst."

Assumed that he would not return, she thinks, but at least if he’d had the courtesty to die in whatever fire he’d created Lepis would not be in this predicament. No, she thinks. No, she does not really want him dead. She wants the past to not have happened, but that is as fool a wish as it has always been.

"He said nothing of what happened when he returned yesterday." She continues, and though her grey eyes narrow it is in thought rather than consternation toward Dracarys. "What land did he set afire?" She asks. "Were there lives lost, do you know? Was anyone hurt?"

@[Dracarys]
    n | l

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I have never been nothing; lepis, any - by Lepis - 04-04-2020, 10:17 AM