• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Things Have Changed Once Again (All Kingdom Residents)
    There would be many days that he would doubt he was ever truly fit for a position like this... his ability to protect his loved ones... the strength he would need to make the necessary hard decisions to help Taiga prosper... the time he would need to devote to keeping the kingdom running, recruiting new horses whether they were in search of a home or something more...

He worried certain areas of his life would suffer by taking leadership once again, but even as a protector, his love and their children had been there for him. He certainly hoped they would continue to do so, even though his love's youngest was now growing into a young adult, and his own blood son, Kalil, was turning into a fine young stallion himself as well. Their daughters were becoming beautiful young mares, and, of course, Lethia was just as gorgeous as the day Aten first met her. She had been the rock that even the proud, mentally stable stallion needed on some off days, especially after Wolfbane and Lepis had first arrived and uprooted everything.

But he'd let his hatred go... he buried his anger, his discontent, and now would focus on bringing Taiga into the bright future it deserved. He knew there was trouble out brewing on the horizon, especially with Wolfbane on the loose, but he knew there were horses who would stand beside him.

Not long after he had spoken with Pteron, Aten had done some thinking on his own, what exactly he would say, before deciding what he needed to do. The stallion, one early morning, made his way to Taiga's gathering meadow, and let out a call to the residents of Taiga and asked them to meet him before the sun proceeded to crest the halfway point of it's journey in the sky. He waited patiently was Taiga's residents trickled in, his eyes overlooking all who had decided to remain in the protection of the redwoods.

Aten normally would not stand atop one of the bigger kopjes that littered the meadow, providing him a greater vantage point, but in this case, he made an exception, if only so all the horses that gathered could see him. He walked atop one smaller-sized kopje, but big enough to support a stallion of his size, and cleared his throat before speaking to the gathered residents.

"I wish to thank all of you who have answered my call to come and meet me here, for I have news I feel it is imperative that I share." He hesitated a moment, "Following a careful discussion with Pteron, it has been decided that I will inherit his position as Taiga's leader. I will not treat it any differently than I do my position as a protector, for all I wish is for those of you here to live out your lives in peace, to know that Taiga is a peaceful kingdom offering a home and sanctuary for those who are searching for one.

"However," he continued, "I will not sit idly by as I did in the past while I tried to figure things out on my own, as I know there are a great number of you here who will be able to provide not only unique perspectives, but also good council that I will gladly accept so it may help me make decisions that could hopefully only positively impact Taiga's future. For those of who who appreciated Pteron as a leader, and his dam before him, please know that I did as well. I was sad to see Lepis depart, for she did what a leader would and protected her home while she was here. I did not doubt Pteron's intentions to do the same, even if some of you may have thought otherwise in the beginning."

It was not exactly a secret how Aten felt about the family that ruled before him, but he did not further comment on it.

"Therefore, while we are gathered here today, I wish for those of you who wish to say your piece, whatever it may be, to do so. If you wish to keep it a private matter, I will gladly adhere to that as well. For now though, whatever opinion or suggestion you would like to offer, please, know that I will listen."

OOC: Terribly sorry I disappeared everybody! I meant to get this up sooner, but there was a sudden incident in my family and I was away longer than I thought! I am happy to be back!
    finger trips across my cheek----------------
    ----------------kiss me until i can't speak

The conversation he’d had with the champagne stallion has not been at the forefront of Pteron’s mind. He has had other worries, other, larger things to occupy his time. As the soft warmth of summer turned to blazing heat, and then to fall, and finally grows cold and near-winter, Pteron has thought little of the position he left.

The sound of Aten’s call on this last autumn morning abruptly jars him awake. Has danger finally reached them, his waking mind thinks? But no, Aten does not sound concerned, and the summons is not rushed. He complies, paying attention to political matters for the first time in nearly a half year, and finds Aten in a central meadow just before noon.

The rest of the land is gathered too, but Pteron does not waste his time looking for Reia and their daughter. They won’t be here, not where he could so easily find them. He listens to the stallion explain that his rule as Comte will be the same as it was as Protector, which is the same as it was beneath Lepis and Wolfbane, and so the same as it was when he ruled Taiga alone. Nothing has changed for the champagne stallion despite his title, it seems.

Even if some of you may have thought otherwise, Aten says, and at that the stallion’s olive eyes tack abruptly toward him.

The blue haired stallion takes a quiet breath, one he exhales as an equally muted sigh. This is not his concern, he thinks. There are things more important than his place in Taiga. Spilling of bad blood and sharp words are not his intention, at least not between himself and the champagne once-again leader. Pteron has had his fill of conflict. More than his fill if he is honest, and the reminder causes him to shift the still-healing bones of his wings in discomfort. From an outsider’s perspective he is merely adjusting his wings, and Pteron bites his tongue as the man in front of him continues to speak.

Pain makes him bitter, but the blue-haired stallion has a lifetime of disguising his emotion to hide behind. He does not roll his eyes like the champagne stallion had when witnessing the previous monarchs stand at a higher vantage point to better address the assembled horses. He does not do anything but listen, and listen quietly, and draw no further attention to his battle wounds and the absence of his daughter and his wife. Former wife.

Even when Aten asks them to speak up, Pteron remains silent.

He looks away from the leader after that, his olive eyes taking in the others gathered. Or rather, taking in those that are gone. Wolfbane, Lepis, Marni, Eyas, Celina, Elio, Reia, Adarra. His family, once gathered beneath the shelter of these woods, is scattered. The bulk they added to the territory is missing, the drive and motivation. Where are they now, the man thinks to himself, what are they doing? His mother’s recent visit, following her trip to Nerine, had not covered trivialities like emotional and familial well-being. Instead, she had left him laden with facts and information, which might have been helpful to a leader, but Pteron is a leader no more.

Should he share what he knows in private, he wonders? Or will the knowledge be diluted and muddied by multiple tellings? The indecision is paralyzing for some time. Pteron clears his throat at last, and speaks up.

“I have information, not an opinion, but I think everyone needs to hear it.” Pteron’s olive eyes flick back to Aten, but though he acknowledges the man who holds his former position, he does not wait for his permission. “Pangea is rising, sending out thieves and monsters. The king of Loess is losing himself to his dragon nature, and a cursed and violent creature has taken over my father. There are more dangers in Beqanna than I have known before, and I fear this territory - for it is a territory and not a kingdom, despite my mother’s efforts – is unprepared, as is Nerine, which should be its protector. I hope that the gift from our newest residents, Craft and Anatomy, can provide some safety by giving us an early warning of danger.”

Pteron does not add that he is leaving, and with him the last member of Taiga’s army save the golden leader himself. That is best said in private, he knows. Anyone he might had bid farewell to has already left themselves. He does glance at Ruthless and Lilliana but only for a moment before moving toward Aten’s family – Izora Lethia and their two children. He certainly hopes the champagne stallion is up to the task of their physical defense if the time comes. The blue-haired piebald rolls his shoulders once more, winces at the pull of knitting muscle, and then straightens to hear what other might have to add.

-- pteron --

She has spent many days this autumn traversing between Nerine and Taiga.

Aten’s absence had been noticeable from the start and the Taigan mare had been worried. It wasn’t like him to be away from the Redwoods - in Lilliana’s mind, the champagne stallion was as much as part of the forest as the forest was of him. Her world has always been one of change and upheaval. The Protector is one of the few constants she allows herself; she trusts that Aten will always be in these woods.

And when she hadn’t found him, fear had crept into her mind. With everything that had happened of late, she had worried that Aten had somehow found himself amidst all the turmoil. If their Protector - her friend - was injured, what was in store for the rest of them while dragons rampaged and cursed creatures roamed the land of the sunrise?

Lilliana tries to do what she can for Taiga. When his scent had grown faint and it had become harder to track him or Lethia down, Lilli had taken to patrolling the northern border. (What exactly she could have done if she had encountered trouble, she doesn’t know. As the last of autumn is fading away, her sides have swollen visibly with her pregnancy and so with it goes the last of her familiarity with herself.)

There isn’t a word to describe the relief she feels when on one of these patrols, she hears him. Aten calls from a central point in Taiga that Lilliana knows - the open Meadow where Lepis had once ceded leadership to Pteron - and the copper mare strides as quickly as she can with an ungainly body. As she steps from the treeline, she feels a burden lifting off her slender shoulders and the expression on her face is an open and honest one: she is glad and comforted at the sight of him.

She stands not far from Pteron and pricks her ears forward, listening to what the golden stallion has to say.

More change is coming to the Northern Forest. Pteron stepping down and Aten resuming his former role of leader. Lilliana blinks at that and casts a quiet glance towards the blue-haired stallion. Her attention returns to the Taigan leader as he continues to speak and then back to the pegasus stallion as he shares his part - Pangea rising in the East, Castile succumbing to a dragon body and at the mention of Wolfbane, she stiffens.

There are some things best said in private. Perhaps what she has to add contains some of those things but as she stands with Aten and Lethia and their family, with Ruth and Pteron, they are the closest relationships she has to family. Many of them have known her since her arrival in the Redwoods almost five years prior. And it is with that thought that she adds, "We have the Pangean heir in custody..,” (the ‘we’ being Nerine and Taiga), "hopefully that should alleviate some of the steals in the interim.” It hadn’t all been Ghaul though - there are rumors of a red-eyed stallion sneaking horses away in the night. Lilliana had hoped that the steal of the Pangean prince might incline the East to release Brine and Brinly but like so many of her plans, this one has gone astray.

And then she looks to Ruth, remembering the last time they had seen Wolfbane. A cursed creature. A violent creature, his son says. For a moment, she considers adding to what Pteron has spoken.

It’s all ash on her tongue. What she wants to say is burned away by her shame and she has to look away from the golden girl. "Last I had heard,” comes her soft reply, "Wolfbane had stolen the leader of Icicle Isle.” She had tried to help Jesper too - someone else she had failed. "Aten,” she tries, "for the changes that are coming, that could come here, Pteron is right. We are unprepared. Our numbers are small and even with Craft and Anatomy…,” even with the two magical mares, their numbers and resources are limited.

"We either need to make a plan or-,” Or what, Lilli? It suddenly feels as if Beqanna’s borders encroach on all of them and yet doesn’t exist at all. Their densely wooded home could be completely overlooked or razed to the ground and as always, Lilliana hates the uncertainty. 

LILLIANA
    and its harder than you think
    telling dreams from one another
    art by the day of shadow
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind
    Neverwhere steps out of the mist that drifts through the redwoods, the thick fog that invites stories of ghosts haunting the forest, and draws close to Aten, standing slightly behind the new leader of the ancient woodland. She is quiet while the others speak, this is not her day, but it is important for her to be there, to stand beside Aten, a physical representation of Nerine's support. Her cloudy eyes drift from face to face but settle on Pteron, briefly considering the stallion - so like each of his parents. He is of an age with her, and she wonders if things have changed in Beqanna as much as he believes. A history of plague and wars makes her doubt it.

"There are many threats in the world. They have always existed, in one form or another, and anyone who claims to be prepared to fully defend against curses and magicians and rampant dragons is lying, to you and possibly to themselves, as well. I fear we are all unprepared for what is coming, lulled by a few years of relative peace. Regardless, Nerine stands with Taiga. It's people are our people, and it is our connection to Beqanna, so perhaps warrants a more vested interest from the kingdom than it has been used to. "

Lilliana mentions the horn-eyed stallion Ghaul and Neverwhere chuckles at the thought of the creature, burning his way through the wind-swept kingdom. Yes, they have him, for the time being. To what purpose or effect remains to be seen. She is not convinced that there was any plan beyond venting the red mare's frustration, and she has little desire to babysit him and make sure he remains prisoner among their cliffs.

"Nerine's rabbits will be pleased to see the back of that one, I think." She shakes her mane so that the tangled tresses fall to the other side of her neck, "I would not depend on having him captive as a reasonable defense." She has already spoken more than she intended to, this is Aten's day, and his meeting, and so she end by again turning to Pteron, "You will always be welcome within Nerinian borders. You led Taiga admirably, if only for a short while, and Nerine owes you a debt for that. If I can be of service, find me."

Neverwhere
    A number of horses gather with him today, save for a few faces he was not surprised to know had left. However, the knowledge that Pteron remained in these woods was actually a welcome thought to the champagne stallion. He knew the stallion would one day eventually leave, whether to be with his family, or of his own accord to find his next journey in life. But, while he was here, Aten would listen to his opinions and ideas just as he would any other kingdom resident.

Pteron is the first of the residents, and the news he brings is grave. Aten was not going to bother giving permission for Pteron to speak; the stallion could just do so if he wanted if the information he felt was important enough. He tells the residents that Castile is losing more than just himself to the dragon's nature inside him. Aten knew a bit of how that felt, but it was nowhere near Castile's level since Aten's own hadn't yet reached that far. He also speaks of Wolfbane, and what he is losing himself to, or rather, what is causing him to lose, and Aten almost feels sorry for him.

Almost.

But he holds little remorse for the stallion that uprooted so much when he first arrived here.

Pteron is correct about Taiga not having sufficient protection, and as much as he hates to admit it, he knows the stallion is right. He never wishes to say anything like that... for it meant that the residents would be in great danger if Aten couldn't provide them protection. Aten knows he has to do something about this, and right away, in fear that those he called his friends would suffer.

Lilliana is also here, and gives some interesting news. The Pangean heir is in the custody of the northern lands... that wasn't how Aten may have gone about things, but, well, he hadn't been the leader when that happened. How could they use this, without bloodshed and negative rumors being spread that might lead to war between territories?

What was he saying? They were already there considering they'd kidnapped a royal.

Neverwhere has also arrived, and speaks in regard of Pteron before stating that Taiga has the support of Nerine. Despite those warm words, it is not yet enough. They need more...

"I thank all of you for sharing what you have so far. And Lilliana," he looks to the chestnut, "You are correct. We do need a plan, and to help protect those among us, we need a good one. Of course, that is easier said than done, and despite what they have given us so far, we cannot rely entirely on Craft and Anatomy."

He steps down from the kopje, "Pteron. Despite having served under your mother, there is little she actually told me about the politics when it came to alliances if I was not assigned to them myself. We did not have much luck with the West, but there is always the chance that they may change their minds if we offer different than we did last time. We need the support of other kingdoms as well, for not even three combined, leaders or not, may be able to stand up of what is coming should it be as mighty as you all say.

"Pteron," he looks to the stallion again, "if there is anything you do know in regards to the other kingdoms, I will take any insight that you have. Right now, I see our only main option is the western lands since Loess and Pangea have the south and east under their hooves. Perhaps there are some in those lands who would ally with us, but I will not send any of you there without knowing what you may face so you are not put into unnecessary danger."

@[Pteron] @[lilliana] @[Neverwhere]
    finger trips across my cheek----------------
    ----------------kiss me until i can't speak

Though he is eager to be away, the green-eyed stallion remains. This is his last responsibility, this passing of the torch, this witnessing of the first gathering called by the new leader. He is grateful that Taiga is no longer his burden to share, and that becomes even more true when Lilliana speaks of the actions taken to alleviate steals.

Taking an heir?

She is either mad or brilliant, and if Pteron knew that the heir she speaks of were Ghaul, there would be no question that it is the former. Not his place, he reminds himself. Pangea’s wrath will fall on those who have taken their heir, and that is not Pteron. That reassurance does not lesson the twist of discomfort he feels, the sensation that he is shirking his duty. It lessons, just a little, as Lilliana speaks of Wolfbane’s theft of the Icicle Isle leader. What his father might want with Jesper is beyond Pteron. His mother, he might understand, but not Wolfbane. So he says nothing, just listens to the copper Ambassador reiterate the warning he’d given.

The bald-faced mare that appears behind Aten is not someone that he recognizes. The wind and fog serve to keep her scent from him. She speaks like a sage, he thinks, and is not surprised to hear that she is from Nerine. Vested interest, the Taigan’s leader promises, but not protection. Pteron is unsurprised, but there is disappointment on his pale face, even when she tells him that he is welcome in Nerine. There is nothing for him in the North anymore, he thinks, and while her mention of a debt does not go unnoticed, the dun stallion cannot imagine a time he might need it. Nerine had been a constant disappointment to his family during Pteron’s life, and his distrust of this newest leader (for sure that is what she is, given how she speaks?) is surely merited.

He is distracted by the sound of his name from Aten’s lips, and turns his green eyes back to the older male. Lepis told him little, he claims, and Pteron frowns.

It is not in doubt – he knows that his parents did not share much with the champagne leader. Rather, it is in confusion that Aten might not understand why that was so. The one diplomatic responsibility he’d been given was so badly fumbled that Lepis had to repair it herself, something that even a much younger Pteron understood had grated on her.

No bad blood he reminds himself, and decides to keep the sharp truth hidden, where it cannot damage Aten’s fledging reign.

“Ischia might offer sanctuary,” he answers, “But surely allies will expect something in return. Does Nerine have the warriors to stand against Pangea? Against a dragon? Against a shifter?” This he directs at them both, the dappled mare and the new leader she stands behind. “Because Taiga does not, and if Jesper is truly stolen, then surely the island is empty as well.”

This is what he had wanted to avoid, this demand that he have answers and insight at the ready.

Pteron sighs, and the sharp bite of his broken wing adds to his scowl even as he speaks.

“As far as a plan…I’d suggest choosing the worst of the threats, and offering them…something. Something that makes leaving Taiga alone and keeping the other dangers at bay worthwhile to them.” What that something might be, and who the worst of the threats is, is a decision that he leaves up to the leader. Not his responsibility, he reminds himself, and once more laments the slow healing of his wing that has kept him here.

-- pteron --

if you do not have shadows,
    you are not in the light

She remains in the shadows for a while to observe.

Amber eyes settle on Aten and his noble stance. She envies the way he holds himself, even in what some would compare to utter chaos; comparable to Fiorina even, without the hostile aura and blatant thirst for blood.

Pteron is soon to follow, his vibrant blue mane hardly lifting with the subtle breeze that the open meadow offers. He is quiet, and advertent without seemingly interested or intrigued. He has written off Taiga in the same way Ruthless has written off hope, and it reminds her of Larva that day.

His realization obvious that evening after tentacles had flared and Wolfbane had become unpredictably ugly. She had never witnessed such a horrifying reality before, not till that moment.

Now it seems she continues to relive that feeling.

Lilliana is also (unsurprisingly) early to arrive to the call, her warm chestnut glow warming even the coldness of Ruth’s heart that had started to set in. Our golden lioness—even at the remembrance of that same warm, copper coat settling into Wolfbane’s side with ease and comfort—couldn’t stay bitter at the same mare that opened her heart when Brine had closed it.

No matter how confusing and complicated it got.

Another mare aligns with Aten and Ruthless’ curiosity peaks at the new face, her warm chocolate coat similar to the ebony bark that Brine would seek out on suffocating hot summer days. The ebony bark that grows deep in the forest sees the least amount of sun, it’s sometimes still moist from dew. Lean up against it, Ruth. Feel that?

Feel refreshed?

She would feel refreshed, leaning against the cool bark. She would smell the fresh scent of nature and hear the soft call of birds closer to the field. For a while it felt like a world only they existed in. As if all these other horses hadn’t been fighting these battles and fearing these monsters.

It makes her kind of angry to know they could have been making a difference all along, but all Brine knew to teach her was about the ebony bark and it’s temperature.

So Aten is now leader? She isn't surprised, knowing the sad and distant expression Pteron had worn since she met him. There was an ominous air about him that foggy day, and his consistent talent in thinking before acting had left a lasting impression on her.

They continue to go back and forth, unaware of the light breeze that wafts their words into her ears to let them sit and stir in the pit of her stomach. We don’t have the numbers, we aren’t prepared, dragons, magicians...

Fine, but what can we do knowing all of this?

Lay here?

Fight?

Waltz knowingly into Wolfbanes arms and just give in to his tantrum?

She walks slowly at first, emerging from the protection of the redwoods and silently praying Kalil is just beyond her sight. Maybe he has been hidden by the withers of another, taller equine. Or, perhaps Aten has him doing something else entirely.

It dawns on her she hasn’t spoken to her ocean-crush since their frolic in the bay. He had captured her there, with his care and concern. She had fallen into the net he had laid out so carefully for her, as if waiting for her to give into his kindness and soft words.

And she did. She hasn’t left the net since.

He isn’t here, and part of her feels almost relieved. If he was here, and Lilliana spoke about the field episode, then he might be upset he hadn’t heard it from her. And she wants it to come from her.

“Nerine has warriors,” she offers, arriving next to Lilliana but not daring to look at her, “I want to learn. I want to fight. I want to teach others how to do the same.” A voice so strong and stark, it almost sounds fake in comparison to the youthful yearling Aten had meant only a year or two ago. But, it’s there with all its genuineness and honesty.

Part of her hope it hits Lilliana like a kick—to know that the sun-child had been forced to grow a lot since that day in the field. Another part of her hopes that Lilliana understands that Ruthless doesn’t blame her for what transpired, she just wants to protect her.

This little warrior is just tired of forced compliancy.

“We aren’t prepared, but they haven’t attacked yet. We have time to prepare as best we can,” she flickers to Aten, hesitant to overstep her boundaries but frustrated to know that this may be just another thing to surrender to.

And she isn’t ready for a third round of hopelessness.

Ruthless

Hope it's alright I pop in (sorry I am late)! @[lilliana]

As always, brilliant or insane, Lilliana shares freely what she knows with those she considers her friends.

(At least when it comes to kingdom politics.)

There is something akin to a softening on her copper face when @[Neverwhere] steps from the shadows. Leadership isn’t something that she had associated with her bald-faced friend in the beginning but as the mantle of Queen has started to settle comfortably around her, Lilliana thinks it suits her well. There is a brief nod of agreement with what she says (and Lilli is reminded of another day with Aten, with a mare recently returned from the dead where the crimson mare had expressed similar sentiments). War, change, upheaval are all fluid parts of life - their coming is inevitable.

It is how those changes could affect these Redwoods that calls them together now.

Lilliana finds relief that Neverwhere has come because what could the Northern forest lose with support from Nerine? It might just be their path forward. (And in truth, this is what Lilliana has hoped. As an Ambassador to the Taiga and a Diplomat for Nerine, she had wanted to hone both sides of that blade to a shine that might bring a bright relationship for both kingdom and territory.) The chestnut isn’t entirely oblivious to the disappointment that registers on Pteron’s pale face and she wonders what more could he have wanted? Loess, perhaps. He was - had been - a soldier for both kingdoms.

Perhaps his allegiance to the South offset any future bonds he might have made with the North.

Her blue eyes look back to Aten as he steps down from the kopje and she smiles at him, finding an admirable quality in him that he would rather discuss the options with them as an equal rather than lord above them. The champagne isn’t giving orders; he is discussing and weighing the options with them. It is a dream she once had for Taiga and to see the gold Guardian implement it is something that makes her more sure that he is the right choice for this wood.

When the pegasus stallion mentions Ischia, Lilliana thinks of Aquaria and what she had said that day they met. That the beach territory was a refuge for those worn out by the world. If it came down to it, they might seek shelter there. Where Pangea was building a reputation for chaos, an alliance with the West could be plausible but the chestnut mare finds her mind going North. Why not take advantage of the resources here, of the relationships and bonds here?

When Ruthless comes, it seems she shares a similar sentiment. The blonde girl doesn’t look at Lilliana (and she knows why, the brutal truth chills her like the winter wind that blows past them) but speaks of wanting to be a warrior (and she wants that for you, Ruth. She has looked at you and seen the faces of those she loves in another lifetime - proud Elena, fierce Brielle - she has looked at you and known family from almost the first moment).

Looking at Ruth, an expression of pride warms her features and then she turns to Aten, her mind still thinking over what Pteron has said about what they could offer the other kingdoms.

All the things he says seem to be not only a Taigan problem but as Neverwhere had said, it is a problem for all Beqanna.

"If the threat became desperate enough,” (perhaps it already is) she considers with her blue eyes dancing between the two leaders, "perhaps we could move those willing to Nerine?” An evacuation isn’t really a plan but there if there is one thing that Nerine has is plenty of space. There is also an unspoken message in the silence here - that if the situation truly became so dire, Taiga could perhaps be a 'common' land of the kingdom until such a time permitted that whatever dangers lurked had passed. "And as for preparing, perhaps both the residents of Nerine and Taiga could both engage in diplomatic training and mock battles.” The numbers of Taigans are limited but there are some (her mind goes to Kalil and Owin, to herself and Ruthless) that might want to learn how to fight and defend their homes. Nerine brings the images of Brazen to mind but even gentle Eurwen was capable of defending the clifftop kingdom; the bond between kingdom and territory could be strengthened and residents of both places could gain the needed skills for navigating through the tumultuous times that always seemed to be looming ahead.

As she looks at the pair in front of her, she thinks that there might be a chance for both places to build a reputation and a future together. Nerine had been a great power once - why couldn’t it be again if her territories were willing to work in harness with her?

It would take time - perhaps their enemy in this - but it seems a good place as any to start.

LILLIANA
    and its harder than you think
    telling dreams from one another
    art by the day of shadow
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind
    What Pteron may need from the northern kingdom might someday change, nobody at this gathering should be surprised how quickly things can change, when they finally do, but she will be just as happy if he never comes to collect on that debt. She listens lazily to the other speakers, allowing her eyes to wander from tree to tree like sparrows flitting between the branches, only focusing back in when she is questioned directly by the former Taigan, and then her eyes find his again as the dark-winged youth jumps in, answering rashly.

"You see? We are defended." There is a wryness to her voice as she says it, ears flicking, amused. He is being quite serious, of course, and it is an important question, one that must be dealt with, but she doesn't intend to discuss those details with him. Not when he barely contains his wish to be gone, not when he has so many reasons not to help them - on the contrary, his loyalties lie largely with Loess, though perhaps his interests are elsewhere. She does not attempt to stop Aten from gleaning information from his predecessor, but she will not actively participate in this exit interview.

Lilli's suggestion brings a frown to her lips and she turns appraisingly to the red mare with a shake of her head. Lilliana has been tight-lipped and vague about her past, but the bits that the silvered mare has gleaned from their conversations are riddled with a family torn ragged by war. She should know better than some what will happen if the Taigans evacuate, and running north will be a poor option, may only trap them with the sea at their backs and wolves nipping at their noses.

"Anyone fleeing conflict may come into Nerine, but abandoning the redwoods won't bring safety. Anything that threatens Taiga threatens us all, it would not be something to ignore."

The danger isn't a passing pack of predators, it is political enemies and agents of chaos, they will not simply "leave" because the forest is empty. If it comes to a fight, they may all have to fight. Easier said than done, she has rarely been called to blows in her life, her bullish demeanor usually enough to back enemies off, at least long enough for her to get away. The life of a nomad in that respect is simple, running comes naturally, but now she navigates a different world. It does not settle on her as easily as Lilli might think, but Neverwhere is used to going into situations blind, it is, perhaps, her one advantage.

Neverwhere

@[Aten]
    Thankfully, or perhaps out of pity since there was a lot Aten had to deal with, Pteron offers an idea about Ischia, and a flash of hope lights the fire in Aten's heart. It was there for all of a brief moment, however, when he realized Pteron was correct. Very rarely, if ever, would a kingdom perhaps offer another assistance where it was needed without some form of a reward in return, no matter what it may be.

A memory burned in the back of Aten's mind, his older sister. She'd been traded away in much a similar circumstance, as an alliance between two leaders. Aten would never engage in such a practice with his own children, much less the kingdom residents. They deserved the right to choose their own paths in life, not have it stripped away if they were a bargaining chip.

This was a difficult coin to flip though. It seemed that no matter what side it would land on, Aten was stuck, to a degree. Those who lived here may have the will, the spirit, to fight. But against the powers of their enemies, their gifts... even with the ones Aten possessed, and his son as well, and others here that had talents...

Would it be enough to stand up to a dragon shifter? Physically? The power the beasts of the sky held was immense. Turul didn't speak much of what he feared, but there was one thing he always shared. Whenever one of those creatures took to the sky, every raptor was careful to duck between the trees to avoid being it's next meal.

So Aten has more to ask, to say to the younger stallion.

"Perhaps I will think of my own things to offer for the other leaders should we pursue an alliance, Pteron, but I would like to know. What do you refer to when you say 'something' to offer to those we ask for help? It may be along the lines of what I may think, it may not. But no matter, what would you offer in turn? You say we do not have the numbers, the warriors, that another kingdom may expect us to offer. What other things do you believe we can give them to hopefully receive what we need in turn?"

Before Pteron can answer, Ruth cuts in, stating that Nerine has warriors, and that she, like Kalil is learning to do, will do her best to study how they fight to help protect their home. Preparing in any way they can is a good idea, one Aten will not disagree with in the slightest. But if the enemy got wind of what they were doing...

He doubted it would stay completely out of their ears to begin with. They would find out, somehow, he knew. So all they could do is prepare, and hope they would be ready when the time came.

Lilliana also offers her two pints on the matter, saying they could also engage in diplomatic training for those who would be sent to appease other kingdom leaders. Neverwhere says that Nerine will provide sanctuary to those who needed it, and that they will work to protect the redwoods as well. Aten is touched by her offer, grateful, for he knows there may be those out there who, for their own reasons, would wish to avoid fighting.

He himself would, if it was possible, but he would stand ready to defend his kingdom.

Aten stepped back from Lilliana, Pteron, Ruthless, and Neverwhere, so he could address the others gathered as well. However, he did not step back up onto the kopje, simply speaking with a louder voice so every horse could hear him.

"There are matters that must continue to be discussed, but at this current time, I would like to say something important to every horse here. Taiga has appreciated your loyalty for whatever length of time you have lived here, and I sincerely hope that you will continue to do so after everything has resolved. However, I will not ask you to fight, I will not force you to do so if you would rather stay away. For those who wish to avoid what may come, you may venture north with Neverwhere and seek shelter within Nerine's territory.

"For those of you who would stand and fight, you have my eternal gratitude. Along with those who will stand beside us to defend our home, those of us here will engage in training, both with words, and fighting. Those who would like to first help with seeking assistance from other kingdoms once we decide our course, you will train with Lilliana and Izora Lethia. Those who would learn to fight first perhaps, or refine their skills, will train with me. If you perhaps don't wish to train in either manner, but wish to continue helping in your own way, all I would ask is you work to gather whatever information we can use to help us prepare for what is coming."

He took a breath, "I know I am asking a lot of you, even if you would stand beside Taiga without me even requesting it. However, seeing you all here before me, however you wish to help, please know that you will forever hold my eternal gratefulness, along with Taiga's herself, and those who live here. We all need to stand together, not only to protect Taiga's redwoods, but to give each other the strength we will need during this trying time."

@[Pteron] @[lilliana] @[Ruthless] @[Neverwhere]