• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Lepis;
    and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    As expected, Lepis comes to the sight of him. The acrid stench of smoke still clings to him, but it is fading with each day that he is not in possession of his fire. Underneath her scrutiny, he shifts, feeling practically naked in front of her although he has never had a need to flaunt to her. But the first word that slips from her mouth – Uncle – melts him and the stoicism that flattened his expression. A deep breath sighs from him and his eyes flash with comforting realization that even as friendships crumble away, he still has her. ”Niece,” he murmurs in return, quickly omitting formalities even as a distant haze coats her. Something broods beneath her calm surface, but he doesn’t yet dive into it. Instead, he closely listens to her while corralling his own thoughts to the forefront of his mind.

It doesn’t come as a surprise that she never wanted Taiga. Loess has always been her home, her power. It is the source of her passion and the core reason she fled to overtake the forest. She wanted to expand its reach; she is a slave to her true home.

A feeble, lopsided grin plays with the edges of his mouth. ”Thank you,” he offers in the quiet solace of the woods, nearly offering her a crown next to him in Loess. The only downfall is that his kingdom would have one less alliance. He almost elaborates, almost reiterates the reasons behind his gratitude and presents his offer, but there is really no need yet. Thank you for being loyal, thank you for being trusting, thank you for being family. The words drift like clouds in his consciousness as he looks at her, reading the mild disappointment painted on her face. He shrugs because she speaks the truth. The domino effect exploded at her expense, but he isn’t entirely sure why still. ”Heartfire would not give me a reason as to why Nerine should remain a kingdom when it is weaker and less populated than Taiga. I do not think she can bear the truth. I do not think she can accept that Nerine is struggling underneath her fist, so she recruited Litotes and Vulgaris to her side in attempt to intimidate me. They are quick to threaten war but blame it on us.” It could have been an easy transaction between kingdom and territory, but Heartfire is desperately clutching to what remains of her crown.

Truthfully, Castile cannot entirely blame her.

For some odd reason, there is a twinge in his heart when Lepis asks her final question. Her tone is bitter, like bile in her throat, and Castile quietly shakes his head. ”It does not matter. They know how loyal we are to each other,” he dares to reach toward her and endearingly press his lips to her poll. For a moment, there is a sweet, intimate moment of reassurance before he breathes and inches away. ”They want to see us as tyrants, as conquerors, though we’ve not given them great reason,” Loess has otherwise been quiet and rather content, not even stealing away foreigners. Yet, still they stomped and yelled at the edge of his home, threatening him in his own kingdom. A ravenous flash in his eyes reflects his disdain of the memory. ”I have half a mind to be what they fear. If they want to see me as a warmonger, then I may as well burn everything in my path…” he trails off, distantly peering through the shadows to see what would become of the world.

And all he sees is ash, falling like snow. 

castile

@[Lepis]

Messages In This Thread
    Lepis; - by Castile - 11-02-2019, 04:00 PM
    RE: Lepis; - by Lepis - 11-03-2019, 05:18 PM
    RE: Lepis; - by Castile - 11-08-2019, 09:09 AM
    RE: Lepis; - by Lepis - 11-08-2019, 10:49 AM
    RE: Lepis; - by Castile - 11-08-2019, 11:56 AM
    RE: Lepis; - by Lepis - 11-08-2019, 09:48 PM
    RE: Lepis; - by Castile - 11-08-2019, 11:06 PM
    RE: Lepis; - by Lepis - 11-09-2019, 04:35 PM
    RE: Lepis; - by Castile - 11-11-2019, 11:05 AM