• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    light a candle, cast a shadow, Leilan [pt.4]
    You’re uncontrollable
    and we are unlovable
    He’d told himself not to attach himself to anyone any more. No more horses would enter the circle of family and friends (whom he, in rare cases, also saw as a form of family), the ones that deserved looking after, the ones that needed protection, all long gone. His children were old enough - the ones he knew, the ones from before leaving and returning - and any others he may or may not have sired more recently, those had mothers to help them fend for themselves.

In fact, he really hadn’t done so well with Yuki at the time, in retrospect. Sure, it probably had been better than staying with her mom, seeing as how the woman hadn’t had much of a spine and the girl clearly did - an ice dragon trait probably, or just one of the many things that no descendant of his mother’s ever could lack.

But the girl is near dying, all alone, hungry and cold and most of all, nearly frozen to death. He may have let ice creep up his heart and bloom all over it, but this… he thinks he was due a little defrosting - slowly, carefully - like Ice fairy had set him up to.

Then why does it feel like she shatters that wall of ice so easily?

She stands; a miracle on its own, though perhaps any foal’s first impulse. The way they survive the world when they’re young is to be able to run from danger within hours, even if their dam doesn’t make it. She can’t speak, but her pleading dark eyes are enough for him to mimic - the original chocolate showing briefly as their gazes meet - then wrap his strong neck around her as much as he can, lifting her back into a standing position when she keeps stumbling.

There is a moment of insecurity - what to do with such a tiny foal? - but he decides that her first need is shelter and warmth, something he can hardly offer out here. ”We’re gonna need to move a bit, okay?” he murmurs, a breath into her neck following in an attempt to warm her just a bit. Her scent is mostly ice at this point, though something recognizable is faintly mixed in, as well. It is the scent of a feline predator, though at this point his mind is too much focused on getting her to a shelter and helping her warm up, to really focus his mind on it.

Blue eyes scan the horizon, and find the path with the least wind, between the wind-blown dunes of snow and where most of the way he’s her barrier against the icy wind. It’s not much, but the movement and shielding, as well as the support and occasional corrections to help keep her on her feet, might just be enough.

and I don’t want you to think that I care
    I never would, I never
    could again
    Leilan
    no. 7 | ice forged in fire

@[Beryl]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    RE: light a candle, cast a shadow, Leilan [pt.4] - by Leilan - 11-03-2019, 03:11 PM