• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i feel earthquakes and lightning; anyone
    Steam rises from her coat in wisps and is swallowed by the fog and the darkness of the hollow in which she stands. She's landed roughly here, fifty yards above the forest floor, and her left wing smarts where it had slammed against the back of the hollow. Flight is difficult between the trees - landing in them is even harder.

The wood at the edge of the hollow is rough and jagged, but farther back is smooth by years of occupation and being ground down by hooves. This is Pteron's nest, but his scent is faint. Weaker than it had been the last time she had checked earlier that morning, but stronger than it will be when she returns in the dawn to be certain he has no returned home during the night.

Darkness is slipping into Taiga - there will be no moon on this autumn night. Lepis knows that she must leave soon or be trapped here till morning. It is not safe to fly in the dark and her own nest is nearly a half mile away.

Her nest.

Just hers.

The crickets begin to sing, and the paint navy-haired mare pulls her wings more tightly to her body. Perhaps Pteron will come home during the night, she reasons. No need to travel in the darkness, back to the hollow at the base of the redwood where her own nest lies. Celina and Elio are visiting friends, and there is no one there to share it with. Better to stay here, she lets herself believe as she drifts off.

Dawn comes, and with it the reminder that her fortnight grows ever shorter. Lepis descends from the hollow in the tree and drifts toward a nearby pond to take a drink, landing with a small splash of her striped hooves into the water.
    Who we are is up to us, it is decided in ever action we take and every decision we make. The world might try to guide us or destroy us along the way but only we are in control of our destiny, which side of the line we find ourselves.

The last few months had been crackling with whispers, rumors, anxiety, fear, and anger around Beqanna. The tension was thick between kingdoms, territories, and herd lands. Beqanna's future was at this moment unknown. Lethy had done her best to ignore the signs, ignore the heated tension. She had spent her days rearing Kalil, her beautiful new baby boy, and Orion, the new girl she had found alone in the forest. But, it did not go unnoticed Aten's ever growing absence - she did not question his loyalty to her or Taiga even now, or even Wolfbane's extended absence - his presence a mighty force leaving the red woods quiet in his leave.

She had searched the night before in the meadows for her friend. Something pulled tight in her chest telling her she needed to find Lepis. She had not been there, worry crinkled her brow as she had settled down for the night snuggled close to her children, kissing each one before sleep took them.

The next morning she had left Kalil with Owin leaving the boys to play while she took to the edge of Taiga. Dawn broke against the dark moonless night as she saw the shifting of a shadow drift from a perch to the ground. Lepis. My friend, how are you? she asked as she joined her leader by the pond. Her amethyst eyes gleamed in the rising sun, soft and gentle upon Lepis before moving to the water. She leaned down to gulp down the refreshing, cool water, waiting to listen.
    forget me not; but never remember
    Lethy

@[Lepis] sorry its garbage but... Lethy's here to be a friend.
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Hooves are always muffled on the soft forest floor, but Lepis’ navy ears swivel back at the sound of someone’s arrival. Too heavy to be either of her children, she knows, and a deep breath catches the familiar scent of Izora Lethia just as the dun mare looks up to see who it might be. She smiles, but it is a brief, weak thing, and the muzzle that she stretches out in greeting is hesitant.

Does she deserve friendship, even? After what she has done? Surely she is as capable of wounding the other mare – perhaps even more so. Just to be certain, she reaches for her magic, and finds nothing. A solid wall. Lepis sighs, unsure if its absence is reassuring or concerning, and realizes that she has left her companion’s question hanging on overlong.

“Everything is falling apart, Lethy.” She says, unable to hold the other mare’s violet gaze as she says it, and instead looking back down at her reflection. “And it’s my fault.” The first time she admitted that to herself, it had hurt, but it had hurt less so the second, and the third. Aloud is a different thing entirely, she finds, and though the words came easy the guilt that comes after pulls hard. “I just wanted…I just wanted everyone to be safe.”
    She watched the light and navy woman before her struggle through her emotions, or maybe lack of? She offered her own greeting in return, worry wrinkling her brow. It seemed the weight of the world rested on her friends shoulders. She knew that when Lepis came to Taiga, taking it from Aten’s hands as if she could simply say and things would be that her intentions were coming from a place of pain, and good. That all she really wanted was for no one to feel what she had felt, for all of those she held near and dear to be safe. The mare confirms this as she breaks the silence with affirmation that her world was falling apart and by her hands nonetheless. That all she wanted was for everyone to be safe.

Lethy stood there for a solemn moment letting the mares words sink into the world around them, sadness gripping at her eyes. It was a tragic thing that happened to you and your family. she said softly thinking back to the first time, a couple years ago, when Lepis had called her first meeting and had told them of their loss. At the time she knew that Lepis was hurting, angry, looking for a way to right that wrong and to make sure it never happened to anyone else again. It is only natural to want to protect the world from those kinds of feelings by making sure they never happen to anyone again. But, Lepis, that war was started by leaders forcing followers to do things against their will. Forcing a nation to follow their will and theirs alone. You can not protect the way you wish by pushing boundaries and expecting others to follow suit without listening to them first. Lethy stopped staring into the duo’s reflection in the water, anxiety filling her heart.

She hoped that Lepis knew that she was her friend always, regardless of their opposing views. She was here now, with her hooves skimming the ponds edge, as a friend first and foremost. My heart breaks for you. You can not control the world, even if your intentions are good. When we try to control the impossible, forces will always defy us sometimes in the exact ways we are trying to avoid in the first place. When rulers bend their subjects to serve them, their subjects revolt. When rulers force their subjects to protect their land more often they scatter in the face of danger instead of standing strong against opposition because in reality it is not their battle to fight. Would it be a horrible things to lay all your cards on the table and tell those who will listen just what your plans are and let us decide for ourselves if we want to be apart of them?

She grows silent, uncertain of how her friend will react to her words. I am here for you Lepis, maybe I won’t agree with your actions or your views and more certain I will defend Taiga and my family even if it turns out to be against you. But when your world is crashing down I hope you don’t feel like you have no one who understands, because I do.
    Lethy

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Lepis has called this place her home for nearly three years, and yet she knows that she has never truly felt settled here. Taiga has always felt like the last step before takeoff, a land from which to launch herself. All that time, she has been anticipating a glorious flight. Yet now she finds herself tumbling, down and down and down again, a failed takeoff tumbling toward disaster. She might have spiraled farther if Lethy hadn’t spoken up then, telling Lepis that Gale’s loss had been a terrible thing.

Gale’s loss? How had she let herself forget that? She has been so busy mourning her own loss that she had forgotten Gale. It is no wonder Bane means to take the rest of the children away; she can’t even bring herself to remember to mourn Gale. She forgets that she thinks of him often – and less frequently with pain, as the years have passed and looks down at the water.

She is not surprised to meet Lethy’s gaze in her reflection, and Lepis holds it as the buckskin mare talks. For a brief moment, she nearly frowns. The last war began because Tephra attacked Loess, and spilled the blood of children. Lepis had stood beside a terrified Tiercel, held unrelentingly by magical vines whose thorns pierced his skin. Yes, she thinks as she turns her almost-frown into a cough. Yes, that is what Tephra did. They’d pushed boundaries, and Loess had merely followed suit. The fire was a little less than Tephra deserves, but Lepis knows the importance of being gracious.

She hardly notices that this unexpected delve into politics pulls her mind from where it had been as she stared at the bottom of the shallow pond.

Pulls it at least until Lethy echoes Wolfbane’s words, and then the ache comes again.

Everyone seems to think she wants a war. That she can’t possibly achieve what she wants without bloodshed. It’s not an uncommon belief in Beqanna (after all, a physical contest over power is even now taking place in the Tephran jungle), and she’d cannot find it in herself to blame Lethy. She’d hoped the peaceful (in action at least, if not emotion) transition of power from Aten to herself and Wolfbane would be indicative of how they planned to continue their reign.

”I want to make Taiga the kingdom of the North. We are fast-growing and thriving, which I cannot say about the rest of the North.” The Icicle Isle was probably never meant for habitation, Lepis thinks, and Nerine is a ghost town with a blue-eyed queen. “I told Heartfire this, told her I had my uncle Castile’s support in doing so. I thought that guaranteeing peace between the North, The South, and the East would be an acceptable price to pay for giving up the crown of an empty kingdom, or that barring that she’d allow Taiga to pledge our allegiance to Loess instead, a much larger and more powerful land.” Lepis looks up at Lethy as she speaks the last, a beseeching look in her eye. Surely that seems like a good place, like a safe plan, her gaze seems to ask of the buckskin mare. “But she still holds the takeover from Aten against me. We did not ask her permission. She told me she’d destroy me if I did not give up leadership of Taiga.”

This is the story exactly as Lepis believes it, but as she falls quietly her mind starts to drift back, and asks the buckskin mare in a desperate attempt to change the subject, accepting Izora Lethia’s offer but reluctant still to tell of her freshest wounds “But tell me of your trip to the Island Resort. Was it beautiful? I hear it is much like Ischia in climate and Ischia is always perfect.”

@[Izora Lethia]
    Their mirrored images quiver in the pool below them as Lepis begins to respond. Lethy’s eyes widen just a tad as she opens up about her plans, mostly because Lethy was not expecting her to be so open like she had asked her to be. Everything has been so tense as of late she expected Lepis to put her in her place and then move on from the conversation and maybe Lethy all together for the day. She was, however, also surprised that Lepis wanted to make Taiga kingdom of the north. She thought back to that first day she had met Lepis. She thought surely that Lepis was leader of Loess the first moment she saw here. The woman screamed leadership just from standing quietly. When she had first arrived in Beqanna Lethy had been a small, meek thing with no confidence but she had always been one to pay close attention. As she thought back to that day she remembered how Lepis had seemed unsettled by Lethy venturing through Loess. Ascending from the cliff face, she held herself rigidly, on alert for any danger. Lethy had seen the same physicality in Lepis as of late, as if she were tense, alert, and stressed all of the time.

She listened as Lepis talk about Taiga’s ever growing numbers and activities. How she had her uncles approval, Lethy crinkled her brows at this. Did Lepis really think that Heartfire would not have viewed this as a direct threat to the rest of the North. The North already had relations with Tephra and her islands. A land that had not so long ago been attacked by Loess. A place Heartfire had agreed to aid and then had watched burn.

Maybe it was not as much about giving up the crown as it was about watching her allies burn and at the hands that now ask her to give up her crown. One could not blame her for being suspicious. Once trust has been lost between you and someone you hold dear it’s hard to reason with them, even harder so when it is someone who does not hold a special place in your heart. She locked her gaze with Lepis. Her eyes answered Lepis’ it was unmistakable that she did not agree with making Taiga kingdom, especially while allied to Loess. However, she added to make sure Lepis knew she would always be there, Just because I don’t agree with everything, it does not mean that admire you my friend. You have strong ambitions and integrity. she offered her a half smile before Lepis asked her about her trip to Island Resort.

Oh, Lepis. It was beautiful. The beaches were bleached white and the trees were thin, spinly beautiful things. The greenest green I’ve ever seen. I am pretty sure I even saw a bird colored exactly like you. she said with a wide smile. It was definitely a learning experience though. It taught me to accept people’s differences in opinions with grace. I have come to realize how extremely different we all are from each other and yet very much the same. she chewed on her lip for a moment in thought, eyes staring out across the small water hole. How were your diplomatic visits? she asked in turn.   
    Lethy

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Despite Izora Lethia’s frown, Lepis did not really expect the buckskin mare to contradict her. Yet Lethy does, offering an alternative explanation as to why the Northern Queen refused to be reasonable. Lepis mulls over the possibility for a moment, and then because it does not align with her worldview, dismisses it as false. Later, when she is alone and her husband’s words begin to echo in her mind, she will think of them again. Perhaps it will be more favorable. As it is, she simply rolls her shoulders in a shrug, as though it does not matter why Heartfire makes the choices she does. They’re wrong regardless of the logic.

Lepis does look a little more agreeable when her companion mentions her strong ambition and integrity, but she does not preen, instead asking about Island Resort.

Her friend seems far more ready to discuss that than the previous subject, and Lepis is certainly more eager to listen. The description of the land sounds like what she has imagined, though from the sound of it, Island Resort has more varied bird life than the neighboring Ischia. Lepis nods as she listens to the other mare speak of similarities and differences. She has learned much, it seems, though Lepis had certainly not expected there to be and sort of difference of opinion regarding the offer that Lepis had asked Aten to extend. Ischia had accepted it wholeheartedly, and Lepis frowns in concern at the idea that the same might not have been true.

She starts to ask, but Lethy beats her to the punch, asking about her own visits, and the Comtesse answers:

“Very well. Ischia has accepted our offer to keep steals and challenges without consequence, and our people are welcome to visit there just as they are welcome here. I think you’d like it,” Lepis adds, interrupting her own line of thought, “It’s rather like Island Resort, from the sounds of it.” Then it is back to the question that has been wriggling at the front of her mind. “Did Island Resort turn down the offer of friendly steals and challenges, then? I’d hoped they would accept it, knowing that we cannot offer a true alliance, with military support.” Lepis had promised Taiga she would not force them to fight against their will, after all, and to ally to another land is to swear their fighters in times of aid.

@[Izora Lethia]
    Lethy offers a gentle grin as Lepis talks of Ishcia, I will have to make it a point to visit someday soon. Maybe some of the kids would enjoy a vacation. A vacation would be good, she thought, to get away from all the tension and responsibilities  for a bit. Lethy has found herself very busy since getting back from the resort, a new babe and another girl brought here from the den, Orion.

Lethy sighed and rolled her shoulders before Lepis continued to talk. She nodded in understanding as she talked about Ischia's agreement for friendly steals and mocks with no consequences. An odd thing she thought, for a land so closely tide to Tephra to agree to such things. She did not verbalize her thoughts, the only markings of her confusion a crinkle in her brow.

Before she could think further on the subject however Lepis steered the conversation back towards her own diplomatic visit. As the question rolled off her tongue Lethy's lips pulled thinly as she thought back to the visit with Ruinam. Well, the talk of friendly steals and mocks did not go far. Aten asked about an alliance, offering our assistance as well as training combat. She thought back to the way Ruinam had reacted to Lepis' name. She had seen the physical change in his stance, his muscles going rigid, and the atmosphere had changed. She had also spent enough time with Aren and Turul to notice the ways companions reacted to their equines emotions. Ruinam's companion was keen on getting Ruinam out of there when just moments before he had retreated back to the cover of trees.

Ruinam became curious about our connection to Loess once he heard your name. to this she winced almost inaudible, not wanting to frustrate her friend further. Aten was truthful with Ruinam and told him that there was no concrete alliance with Loess but we would be of help to them if needed. Lethy stopped for a moment before continuing, letting Lepis take her response in. Ruinam Hope's we can be friendly, but as long as were tied to Loess he does not want any part in diplomatic relations with us. Her gaze remained on Lepis, ready to gauge her reaction. Lethy had been sure Aten had reported this to her when they had returned.

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    There are a great many places Lepis would like her children to see. Many of them she has never seen herself, like the glittering Silver Cove, or the northern edge of the Icicle Isle, where it is said that rainbows fill the evening sky. Perhaps she’ll take them in the future, she thinks, perhaps that will be how they will remember her. That line of thought grows bittersweet after a moment, and she distracts herself by nodding agreeably with Izora Lethia’s mention of taking her children on vacation. There are a growing number of them, she knows. Celina is fond of Owin and the adopted Popinjay, Lepis knows that Lethy has recently borne Aten a son, and she’s seen a brightly colored filly that she suspects is another foundling. Lethy is certainly doing her part in helping Taiga grow and succeed, Lepis thinks, and is due for a commendation. Next meeting, she decides, she’ll make an announcement then.

The buckskin mare answers Lepis’ questions then, and if Lethy’s mouth had been pulled thin, Lepis draw to nearly impossible edge with what the other mare has to say.

Island Resort had been offered an alliance? It is not their refusal that furrows her brow, but rather that it had been offered to them at all. She had been explicit with Aten, she is certain. There was nothing to be gained in such a relationship, and everything to be lost. By all accounts, the island was a quiet and empty place – they have no great military aid to defend themselves, let alone Taiga. What had the champagne stallion been thinking? Had he purposefully sabotaged Taiga’s budding relationship with another land? And if so – why?

Lepis has heard the name of the leader of the island, but she does not know him; they have certainly never met. That he’d respond negatively to her name (she, who as only ever led a land in times of peace, who has publicly sworn off the taking of captives, who has never taken part in any war) puzzles her, but she does not mean to give Izora Lethia a true reason to flinch away, like she does when she shares the news. Lepis make an effort to smooth the lines of her face and takes a deep breath. The sensation of calm is out of reach, like all of her magics seem to be, but she is a well-practiced diplomat, and she nods agreeably. 

“This is all news to me,” she tells the buckskin mare, and there is enough perfect calm in her voice that, after her visual reaction earlier, is a blatant sign that she is forcing herself to react without emotion. “But, I suppose this is not the first time that things have been lost in translation between diplomats. Hyaline once attempt to declare war on Loess for a friendly steal, did you know?” The memory brings a wry smile to Lepis’ mouth, and a welcome distraction to her current train of thought. “I suppose I should use the lesson Kagerus and Solace learned from that incident, and not be too hasty in my own actions.”

Rolling her shoulders, Lepis glances up at the sky, still clearing from the morning darkness.

“Forgive me for cutting our conversation short, Lethy, but it seems I need to make my own visit to Island Resort, and clarify a few things with Ruinam. I intended you and Aten to make him an offer of friendship only, of mock battels and steals with no consequences.” Her words are clipped as she speaks farther, but it is clear from the distant way she looks up at the canopy that her anger is not directed at the purple-eyed mare beside her. That she makes her next request of Lethy is proof of that – she would not ask this of someone she does not still consider trusthworthy and dependable: “Would you mind keeping an eye on Elio until I return? Celina knows he is her responsibility when they play, but I worry he might antagonize her with his gifts.”

With that settled, the blue-eyed mare trots to a wider clearing, and with a few heavy flaps of her golden wings, is airborne and heading Southwest.

@[Izora Lethia]