• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

and i heard your voice ringing in my head; any
    She is nestled at the base of a primordial Redwood. The tree is massive, impressively so. The sheer size of it dwarfs the slender mare who rests beneath it. The daylight comes spiraling down in ribbons, created by the sway of the canopy above. The leaves dance in a sweet summer breeze and with each breath of wind, the sunlight can come shimmering below.

Her first thought that the morning is so impossibly bright.

Blue eyes open and they are momentarily blinded. When the white light finally recedes and gives way, Lilli can make out the other trees around her. They are large masses of slightly auburn shadow, meshing together until they finally form the large trees that Taiga seems known for. Blinking the last of the sleep away from her eyes, she finds her hooves beneath herself and rises. All it takes is a quick shake and she sends the dust and debris that settled upon her in the night away. It’s a gesture that doesn’t feel the most.. graceful but instead of being embarrassed, Lilli’s soft smile finds its way to her crimson mouth.

The promise of a laugh is there, is almost emerges out into the early morning light but Lilli holds it close to her heart instead. There it glows and warms, dances and shines.

It is the first solid night of sleep she has had in weeks. Perhaps unfamiliar Taiga should disorient her, maybe the woods should taunt her for everything she doesn’t know. Beqanna is one massive puzzle that she is trying to piece together. But those thoughts don’t bother her this morning. Instead, it is a gift that keeps her this day. With one last look back to her tree, she tries to ingrain its location in her mind so she’ll be able to find it in this maze of woods later.

Lilli looks back to the open path before her and moves ahead, feeling brave and confident enough that she should be able to find this spot later. Even if she can’t, she decides there are worst places to be lost than Taiga.

Her eyes take everything in with wide-eyed curiosity, often slowing in a certain spot to stop and admire the trees. Lilliana knows its a foolish thing to wonder about them. There is no magic or immortality in these woods but her dreamer heart can still imagine, still wonders about the scenes that have played out beneath these branches. Her dream comes back to her then, the reason why she had woken with a smile on her lips. It had been a gift, something from Orani. The dream had come in pieces and fragments, the scenery blurred but the laughter, a boyish tenor, still rang lovingly in her russet ears.

He was bigger now. The foal was now a yearling, his body more robust and sturdy than before. He was gangly and uneven as yearlings sometimes are but Lilli would have known that blue roan colt anywhere. His laughter was imprinted on her heart, a most beloved sound. Precious Jacob, perhaps the closest she will ever come to having a child of her own. There had been so much misery that spring. Lilli had almost drowned in it. Jacob had been one of the few bright things that had helped bring her and (she hoped) Orani back to life that summer.

Her eyes glimpse a small patch of sky, a promising blue that peaks through the evergreen. Thank you, she wishes. She doubts that Orani will ever know how grateful she was for those small glances, for knowing that they were both alright.

But still, the dreamer in Lilli tries, sending silent prayers on a gentle summer breeze.
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind
    As of late she had been spending quite a bit of time roaming the large redwood land, her home, Taiga. She and Owin, a golden buckskin duo of mother and son with the occasional appearance of Popinjay her ward, had been becoming accustom to the ins and outs of Taiga. She had been here for a year now and knew these lands like the back if her hoof, but Owin was only born last season and she felt he needed to become acquainted with his home.

On this particular day they trailed lazily around the large redwood trunks playing a sort of game. Lethy would show Owin a distinct spot and then they would walk for some time before she'd turn back to him and ask him to show her the way back, so far he was doing quite well.

Her purple eyes watched her bouncing blue gold boy dance off infront of her as she followed him towards a patch of berry bushes they had been to.

The fog of the early morning was still present on the ground and it twirled around her fetlocks rising higher infront of her as Owin kicks up his hind legs before turning and rushing back to her. Mama, I feel someone new. Can we go? Please? he begged her tirelessly until she gave in. She instructed to boy to lead as they moved in and out and completely around the large trunks. Eventually they wandered into a path that seemed to form amongst the redwoods and there down the way she saw a dark woman wandering the redwoods alone.

She smiled softly as her and Owin nickered in greeting, moving to close the space. Hello, and welcome to Taiga. Are you enjoying the view? she said softly. Her voice carried sweetly, tenderly, and motherly no matter the circumstance. It was a voice one could trust immediately and befriend.

Owin, in all his blues and golds, came up and shoved his brown nose into the strangers shoulder softly. Hello. I'm Owin. This is my mom Lethy. Whose Orani? he said scrunching his nose up as he squeaked at the girl, blue-purple eyes glistening with curiosity.
    forget me not; but never remember
    Lethy

@[Lilliana]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Aten had a lot of things on his mind since his recent conversations with both Wolfbane and Lepis, and it was... a game changer, so to speak. He had taken some time to go off and think on his own while awaiting his orders, his mind racing.

To ensure his privacy, the stallion made his way to one of the small glens hidden deep within Taiga's redwoods, settling in to graze and allowing his thoughts to wander. He eventually laid down and rolled around a few times, getting on both sides of his body and turning over to help stretch out his back muscles. It had been a while since he relaxed like this, even such a meaningless activity, and it served to not only relieve the stallion's aching muscles but also to help release the negative tension that had been building ever since he met with his fellow protector and the Queen.

He had a lot to think about, but it seemed another matter needed his attention. Turul's voice cut into the stallion's thoughts, informing him that he spotted Lethia and Owin tailing after a stranger on Taiga's southern side. Aten's interest was piqued, and even though it didn't seem to be a dangerous situation based on Turul's assessment, he decided to go check things out.

Galloping out of the glen, Aten's strides propelled him over the meadow grass and through the redwoods like a ghost through the early morning fog. It was easy to spot the dun colored mare he cared very deeply for next to her colt of identical coloring, and it took a moment to spot her against the redwoods, but eventually, he spotted the other mare as well.

Lethia greeted the stranger in a friendly manner, something that made Aten happy and proud of her. He wanted to go see what was going on, but decided to hang back a moment. He wanted to see how this would unfold, how Lethia would handle the situation without some horse hanging over her shoulder. Turul landed in a tree above the stallion's head, confirming his presence by alerting his friend, and Aten glanced up quickly to nod before looking back to the mares.

He could only hope that Owin wouldn't say anything, for Aten now knew of the colt's special gift. He hoped the colt understood...

Otherwise, who knows what Lethia might start thinking if Aten appeared every time she decided to go meet a stranger first.

@[lilliana] @[Izora Lethia]
    Perhaps she should be longing for an open sky. 

It hadn't crossed her mind yet to find a place where she might find a place to view the stars when the midnight brushstrokes of the evening would come calling. Maybe when her mind has cleared and Taiga doesn't seem so overwhelming, she will find a place to thank Orani's beloved stars and to send her thanks where they might stand a chance of reaching the blue roan mare. It's an outlandish, wild thought but then far weirder things have happened in Lilli's life.

The little patch of sky she has found, where she sends her heartfelt gratitude heavenward, is enough for now. The blue is vibrant and encouraging, already holding all the charm of a summer day. The smile that graces her crimson mouth is soft, still new on her face as Lilli stares searchingly through the canvas of leaves to the firmament above. So intense is her gaze and her scrutiny of the heavens above that she doesn't notice the mare and foal until she hears Owin's eager nicker. An ear swivels in their direction and Lilliana tears her silver-blue eyes to greet the pair. Her gaze warms as it moves from mother and child and Lilli takes a step forward, dipping her head to address them.

"It's hard not too. The trees seem more massive each time I see them," she muses. While Lilli responds to the mother, she somehow misses the son and the sensation of touch at her shoulder sends her looking down. Her expression changes slightly - it softens to the little boy's curiosity. "Hello Owin," she murmurs as her head dips lower better to address him. For a moment, blue eyes flash up at she glances back to his mother. "And Lethy?" she asks as to affirm everything the colt has told her. "You can call me Lilli," comes out with the beginning of smile that only pauses at the mention of Orani's name, something she hasn't heard out loud in many months. 

She stares, confused and wondering how this little boy knew her friend's name. The stars maybe? A message to follow suit on the wings of her dream? Her mind reels through the millions of possibilities as to how he knows about Orani. There is nothing malicious in his question so Lilli decides to give him the truth. Her smile beckons, letting the colt in on a secret. "Orani is my friend. She's a dream walker and she sent me a dream last night so I was thanking her." The sound of approaching hoofbeats breaks the spell of words between the crimson girl and her new friend. Her head rises and Lilli looks to Lethy first, trying to see if there is any recognition on the other mare's face before she addresses the stallion.

@[Izora Lethia] @[Aten]
    The wind had shifted just right to bring Aten's scent wafting down to where they stood and she smiled softly at her protectors presence though she didn't think it was necessary right now. She watched the other mare with kind eyes as she talks of the massive trees, a smile tickles her lips. Her eyes glance the space of a nearby tree from ground to sky as the chestnut greets Owin and then her gaze falls back as she says her name, nodding to approve. Lilli is a very pretty name, it suits you. she says before the woman goes on to indulge Owin in his question. His face lights up in excitement as she tells him of her dream walker friend, and he pauses only a moment in his dancing to apologize, No, I'm sorry I don't know of any stars that deliver messages. I.. he continues on bashfully, I got a gift from my father, I hear people's minds. Mama tells me I need to learn boundaries. the apologetic mood does not last long before he finds himself invested in a near by frog clinging to one giant red wood. His attention is pulled to Aten's location for only a moment, a smile being his only indication that he knew he was there before returning to inspect the frogs mind.

Lethy chuckles a soft laugh before addressing Lilli again, It is really nice to meet you. she offers along with her muzzle. So, you have been here before then?I only ask because you say the trees get bigger. she moves to stand beside the chestnut mare her gold complimenting the women's darkness as they walk side by side.
    Lethy

@[Lilliana]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Nature could sure be a hard force to bargain with, not that Aten had ever tried. The golden stallion had secretly prayed that, in addition to Owin not using his gift to inform the two mares of Aten's presence, the wind would be on his side and not give away his scent to either Lethia or the stranger's keen sense of smell.

Unfortunately, it was the stranger's head going up that told Aten he had been discovered, even if neither mare looked his way yet. Subtle signs that were signals of an equine's instinct was all Aten needed to see he had no need to hide anymore. He couldn't hear what the mares were saying from here, or Owin for that matter, but Aten smiled when the colt broke from Lethia's side and investigating a tree frog he had sensed nearby. The colt's curiosity was insatiable and entertaining, something that Aten found brought a spark of joy into his life.

Lethia seemed to chuckle as well before addressing the chestnut mare kindly, saying something else before moving to stand and walk beside her as an equal. Aten decided to at least come out and greet them before handing the matter off to Lethia if it seemed she had everything under control.

He approached the two mares with a calm cadence to his gait, his lips curled back in a friendly smile. He observed the chestnut mare a moment, with her bright amber coat, her three sock markings, and her brilliant blue eyes that stood out against her beautiful features like a black horse against the winter snow.

"My apologies for intruding ladies," he began, walking up to Lethia first, "I had meant to be in passing, but my friend informed me of a new arrival and I came to investigate. Though, I seem to think he intends on telling me every time whether or not you have the situation under control," he joked with the creamy buckskin mare, running his proud muzzle along her neck and cheek.

"May I ask the name of the stranger who has come to Taiga?" Since he hadn't heard the mare introduce herself to Lethia, this seemed like a fair question to ask.

If she was capable of blushing, she would. Lethy's kind words cause her eyes to avert elsewhere, to look at the base of one of Taiga's Redwoods. It is a brief glance and doesn't take her long to turn her attention to the colt at the mare's side. His face is lovely in youthful excitement and Lilli can feel her own smile grow, lighting up just for Owin. He keeps speaking, mentioning the lines of thought that had been inside her head only a moment before. It is then that she understands - he is reading her mind. Her gaze is quizzical until he becomes shy and Lilli laughs gently, giving a slight shake to her crimson head. 

Her blue eyes sparkle and she looks to the little boy, keen to share another secret. 

"Did you know they could?" she asks, inviting him into a whole new realm of possibilities. "I'm told that the stars are where our dreams go when we no longer remember them. They keep them safe for us," she adds. Blue eyes glance up momentarily to meet Lethy's eyes, coming warm and hopeful to the other mare. And then Lilli glances down again, softening to Owin's admission. "That sounds like a lovely gift, Owin," she says. "How lucky you are to have a father who would share it with you." Kindly she adds, "I'm sure you will learn them. All it takes is practice." With that, she winks playfully to the colt and lifts her head, ready to respond to his mother.

"Not long," Lilli says carefully. With a growing smile, she replies. "They just seem so impossibly big."

The years that it must take to become such a sheer size seem almost overwhelming.

But beneath the woods that grow to imperial sizes, Lilli finds herself becoming at ease with her new herd mates. Owin is enthralling in the way that all young children are to Lilliana, hopes and dreams and experiences yet to be had. Lethy is kind and considerate and the chestnut mare is grateful that she is among one of the first acquaintances she has made here. She is about to tell her so when the stallion that she thought she had spied among the trees approaches and Lilliana rocks back slightly, glancing towards Lethy as he makes his way toward her first. Aten greets Lethy in a way that tells her they have done this before, that they are comfortable and know each other well. Her blue eyes drop and she offers them the courtesy of privacy for a moment as she looks away.

She hides beneath her crimson forelock and spies Owin. Lilli shares another smile with him until the golden stallion directs the conversation back to her. The mare lifts her head and can't help herself. "I think stranger has a nice ring to it." Her smile broadens, brightening until she gives him what he asks for: "Lilliana."

@[Izora Lethia] @[Aten]
    Lethy was lost in the overpowering size of trees that made up her home a soft finite caressing her lips a simple mmhm in agreement with the chestnut mare.
    Her ears cocked at the sound of Aten coming to join the trio and her face followed shortly. She had grown very comfortable with their greetings, leaning in softly to his affirmations. She pulled away shortly after and laughed softly, Well, I hope the times I don't have it handled fall far and few between those that I do.

She watched Aten and Lilliana exchange greetings before Owin bounced his way to Aten's side. Good morning Aten. Did you k ow that stars can deliver messages and hold our dreams? It's a secret though so don't tell anyone. he said with a wide, toothy grin before directing himself to Lilliana. If you think the trees are big from up there, you should see them from down here! I bet they hold alot of secrets too they're so big.

Lethy chuckled at Owin's proclamation before asking a question of her own, So, Lilliana, do you plan on sticking around. Taiga has alot to offer, aside from it's massive trees.
    Lethy

@[Aten]
    @[lilliana]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Aten chuckled in response to Lethia's words, offering her one of his charming smiles, "I'm sure that's the case; you have learned well and so have nothing to worry about."

Before Owin could race over, Lilliana decided to greet Aten in turn upon his arrival, offering a joke about what he had referred to her as prior to giving him her actual name. It was a rather pretty name, one that made Aten smile in a friendly greeting.

"Good to meet you Lilliana. My name is Aten, and I now formally welcome you to Taiga."

Owin was the next to greet the golden stallion, bouncing over to Aten's side and unable to hold still as he spoke within the latter's mind. Aten couldn't help but chuckle at Owin's enthusiasm, lowering his head when the colt made his proclamation about how the stars could deliver messages and contain the dreams of the equines they watched over while they slept.

"Really now, is that so? Well, no fear; I will keep it a secret, even from Turul," he whispered. The falcon, as if sensing he was being talked about, flew over to the group from where he had been in the trees, landing on Aten's withers. The golden stallion twitched his muscles against the falcon's razor sharp talons, laughing when the raptor insisted he be let in on the conversation.

"Sorry. I promised Owin. You want information, you'll have to get it from him."

Turul, offput by this, decided to have a little fun with the colt while the adults talked. Flapping his wings so he was off Aten's back and now hovering over Owin's, he reached down with his talons and gently plucked at the tuft of mane growing along the colt's crest. With a playful cry, Turul flew a bit higher out of Owin's reach before flying away a few yards, trying to entice the young equine to play.

Aten watched his friend, rolling his eyes in fond exasperation; Turul could be such a foal sometimes, especially when around the young ones. Hearing Lethia talking next to him, Aten decided that the falcon would be fine watching over Owin, and as such turned back to the mares, not wishing to show Lilliana any disrespect by not listening to her.

Her eyes glance from the champagne stallion to the buckskin mare, a small smile forming on the edges of her crimson mouth. There is a familiarity in their words, in the way that Lethy teases him and it makes the smile broaden. The chestnut mare manages to hide quiet chuckle though part of her longs to release her laughter into the autumn air at Lethy's words. The two banter and the chestnut glances between them, not wanting to disturb their conversation. It's easy for her to fall into silence and to consider them both - Lethy who is kind and giving with her words and there is something in Aten that reminds her of her own champagne father.

When he turns his attention to her, she gives the stallion a polite nod. "Well, thank you for the greeting, Aten. It's a pleasure to meet you," she answers and then looks to Lethy. "Both of you." And then Lilli can no longer hide the mirth that resides within her. She grins, "You make quite the welcoming pair."

Her attention comes to rest on Owin then, her features softening as he bounds around them. The colt is a picture of youthful energy and Lilli can't help but compare him to her own nieces and nephews. Hearing the repetition of her words being shared warms a dark place within her, the place where jagged edges and broken things dwell. But hearing his proclamations, it is as close as she can get to summoning Orani and Jacob and to share them with others is a gift. In this moment, it brightens everything until- 

She doesn't startle at the bird but his arrival his unexpected. She lifts her head to better study the stallion and the bird, realizing that they are tied together. The bird lifts off Aten's back and then engages Owin in a game, still leaving Lilli slightly stunned. The mare continues to watch and almost forgets Lethy's question. She blinks and then apologetically looks to the other mare, "I think so. I have a cousin in Hyaline and so we've started making it a habit of visiting. I'd like to be in one place long enough so she knows where to find me." She smiles at this and marvels at how easy it is to say those words now. 

So many homes in so few years. So much change and upheaval and she sums it up in one careless sentence.

"Have you both been here long?" she asks, wondering what their own personal relationship is with Taiga and its woods.

@[Izora Lethia] @[Aten]