• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open quest]  Summer school 2019 - geography and music
    Geography&music

Welcome, class of 2019! I see I’ve gained a little fame last year as a teacher, with a full class this time. Hopefully, you’ll all be able to put your intellect and creativity to good use this summer, and shine – like most of last year’s students.

Please note that this year’s classes will last five days instead of the previous seven. That means that next week our class will be held on Wednesday, and the week after, on Monday. I’m sure you’ll all be able to organise this and will have no trouble preparing your assignments, so long as you start on time.

This assignment covers the subjects geography and music (the best of arts). I know what you’re thinking, what on earth is this teacher doing with my subjects, scrambling them all? But have no fear, I’ll explain it to you shortly.

Each of you will be asked to pick a Beqanna land and describe it without naming it. But simply describing it’s layout, inhabitants, or climate, is too easy and honestly a bit boring. I want a unique song (poem) from each of you: two couplets and a refrain should do it.

I have divided all of you in four groups, so that your pool of lands to pick from will be smaller. Please make sure that no land is sung about twice – we wouldn’t want them to let the fame rise to their heads. You can discuss amongst yourselves who sings about what, or make all three songs together and publish one each. As long as each of you ends up performing one song by next week, I don’t mind either way.

North (Nerine and territories): Cyprin, Nolin, Ruinam
    East (Pangea and territories): Lepis, Bethlehem, Aeolus
    South (Loess, territory/herd): Sevda, Peregrine Jude, Elaina
    West (Tephra and territories): Olver, Lilliana, Cassian

*Assignment due Wednesday, August 14th, 1PM CST (13:00)
    *Pick a land from within your group (one post per horse)
    *Write at least 12 lines of a poem (‘song’ of two couplets and one refrain) about it, without using the land’s name or part of the name/direct translation. Songs may be longer, but keep it at a reasonable length. Your character shall perform this song in front of class, and being out of breath ruins the performance.
    *It should be clear from the poem which land you are describing
    *Be aware of the cadence of your song; it should be sing-able
    *Tir may not have said it, but as any good teacher, he frowns upon any forms of shaming, bullying, et cetera. If he becomes aware of any references meant to be as a personal shot, your grade will be affected accordingly.
    *Geography is a subject that can be population-based and/or land-based (physical geography).

Good luck!
    (to the tune of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Ov5jzm3j8)

The things his boredom has driven him to do.
    He’d hoped to learn, perhaps.
    He certainly had not realized that this would be part of the process.

He has never been much for singing. Or talking, even.
    Certainly he has never been one for performing. He grits his teeth as they are divided into groups.
    It is not embarrassment that courses through him so much as agitation, frustration at being put on the spot. For someone who has spent his entire life alone, it’s a tall order. The three of them, Aeolus, Lepis, and himself, choose their lands and set to work.

When they are done, the three of them gather at the front of the classroom to perform their piece. There is some small part of him that delights in how easily he fit into the fold of things, how easy it had been for him to include himself in a group project. Perhaps this is merely something else for him to learn.

The three of them sing together:
    ”Oh, oh-oh,
    oh,”

They each suck in a sharp breath and then continue in unison:
    ”Yeah, I'm gonna take myself to an eastern land
    I'm gonna run 'til I can't no more
    I'm gonna take myself to an eastern land
    I'm gonna run 'til I can't no more “

And then Aeolus and Lepis fade out, leaving him to sing on his own. He sings with his eyes closed:
    ”In the earth there is a crack
    Where the river cuts a path
    Careful, don't lose track
    The wind blows hard and fast
    Livin' in a gorge, ha
    The land there has a force
    Don't you dilly dally
    Only Carnage would endorse, now.”

He is quiet then, opening his mouth only to assist in the choruses between the remaining two verses.
    Aeolus had thought he had learned it all. Living in Ischia felt like that surely. He had spent time with his mother as she taught him the different species of plants and animals of both land and sea. Anything he could imagine, he wanted to know more about. It seemed his seahorse mother knew it all, even singing too.

The young colt was eager to attend the first day of school. He wasn’t exactly sure how it all would play out, but he figured he would get the gist of it. Aeolus was confident enough in his ability to excel (though not in an arrogant way of sorts).

When the first say of school comes, they are split into a group of three. The assignment is about geography and music. Aeolus simply wore a smile the entire time the assignment was explained. He felt comfortable in his knowledge of music, but geography was another. Certainly, he had no idea about the lands his group was assigned. The three of them set to work through.

The day of performance comes. He stood at the front of the classroom with Bethlehem and Lepis. Aeolus joins in the opening of the song and into the choruses. He sings with ease, perhaps inherited his own mother’s musical talents. He then quiets, along with Lepis, as Bethlehem takes over and sings the first verse.

All of them join in again for the chorus again:
    Can't nobody tell me nothin'
    You can't tell me nothin'

Bethlehem and Lepis fade out in the background as Aeolus continue into the second verse of the song. He sings in tune with the song, hitting every note perfectly (or so he thinks):
    Mountains in the springtime
    Beautiful all in my time
    Colorful trees on the craggy
    You can go and see the cherry tree
    My life is so equine
    Crystal clear lake and water so pristine
    Seeing bottom from the top
    Standing on my mountaintop

Lepis and Bethlehem join back in for the chorus again. They all sing in unison:

He then continues to sing along with the rest of the song when needed.
    She follows behind her teammates, and there is amusement dancing in her blue grey eyes. Singing for her children is an everyday occurrence for the navy-haired mare, and while the assembled class is not her children, Lepis has never had a fear of crowds. Everyone watching them will be singing themselves sooner or later, Lepis reminds herself, and her team simply has the good fortune to go first.

While not an exceptionally skilled aongstress, Lepis is still able to hit her notes. They picked a good song, at least, one with a catchy beat and words that are simple and easy to remember. Her team mates take their turn, singing the verses they’ve crafted on their own, and then they come together for a refrain:

”Yeah, I'm gonna take my self to an Eastern land.
    I'm gonna take my self to an Eastern land.
    I'm gonna run 'til I can't no more.”

She takes a breath before launching into her own verse, the final verse,

”In moonlight, water’s bright, it’s shinin' like a new star
    Spend a lot of time by this salty reservoir
    Pony's got ta see it: sterling shore and those high mountains
    Soft hills, lush greens, too many rocks for countin’
    Cured the plague, when it tried to attack
    It’s the Eastern’s own lounge so they kick on back
    Wish I could go right back to that Eastern land
    I wanna run 'til I can't no more.”

Lepis continue to sing, but her navy striped hears turn toward Aoeleus and Bethlehem, knowwing that they are joining her for the final hook and refrain. Her alto voice lifts into a harmony with the colt and stallion’s carrying of the tune:

“Can't nobody tell me nothin'
    Yeah, I'm gonna take my self to an Eastern land.
    I'm gonna take my self to to an Eastern land.
    I'm gonna run 'til I can't no more.”

Their voices fade into silence and she glances over at her teammates with a satisfied smile, before turning to the assembled class.
    Music? This was a subject Olver dreaded with every ounce of his being. He had been excited to enter school, having been teased for his lack of vocal abilities he thought it would be a good transition into society once again for him. Little did he know he would have to do the one thing he could never do, and no doubt he would have to do more as the summer session played out.

He had no problem forming a song, in fact he had formed many inside his head in the quiet years he had spent alone. His problem was that he was mute, and he had only ever befriended one single friend who could understand him with out words, Persea. Olvers eyes brightened as teacher let them loose to conquer their assignment and with out hesitation he dragged Lilliana along with him to Persea's home so that she could translate his thoughts to words.

When they finally got there Persea, Lelliana, and himself worked tirelessly together to form the perfect performance. When they came back to class on performance day he sat quietly as the others performed. When they were done he slowly headed for the front with Lilliana, turning around to open his mouth for nothing to come out. Suddenly he started to strike one front hoof against the ground preparing his beat.

Lilliana started of singing the first couple chords dolce in at a piano volume.
    There's a place that I know,
    where a Jungle may grow.
    A volcano it keeps,
    as her lava creeps.

She sung the chorus crescendoing into it at a forte volume.
    Strength in her bones, as she regrows from the ground.
    Her passion holds her steady as the ocean beats its sound.
    Nothing can break her, this much she proves. Strength in her bones, so much strength in her bones.

She decrescendos into the second verse coming back to piano volume.
    She houses twin islands, just there in the west.
    While ferns and redwoods put her to the test, as her jungle trees compete in the east.
    Being her, is no easy feat.

Finally, she ends the song in a repeat of the chorus at a larghetto, pianissimo volume. All the while Olver kept beat with his hooves swaying and "dancing" in rhythm with the music he had created. The ensemble stood quietly for a moment when the finished before returning to their original places.

Occ: permission to pp Persea and Lilliana via discord.
    BQolver
    She's no singer, no great songstress; but she's witty: clever even and perhaps good with words. So when they come to ask her- when they come to see her present... there is a hesitation in Sevda before she opens her mouth and before she speaks. Beat dropping and something entirely secular ablaze as she kicks into not song and not poetry as it stands; but rap.

[ Insert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLWVghYuIYY ]

Quote:"I know this place in Beqqy,

(Beqqy, Beqqy, Beqqy)
    It’s all kinds of empty.
    (Where you at?)
    Ain’t seen no trees or rocks,
    Cause that’s what Santa Fe got.
    (All this fucking rain)

But this place is a bop,
    Always been, yeah.
    Southward with the Herd and I bounced off the plain.
    Carnage- man.

This place is so hot, Semiarid night drops.
    What’s that? Oh that? Just hail.

Rainfall, Foxes, Hail, Screamer, and a Steppe.
    Wildfires, a burning man.
    Thunder but ain’t scared ‘bout it.

Blue muscari and Hyacinthe.
    Noah done had a fight about it,
    Aodhan thought he gonna get a slice.
    Saw her tryna end a life.

Suited up and takin’ to the Fields.
    Gotta get to the Herd right?
    Sleepless and waiting for the fight.
    He talk big but; She hits just right.

Judges voices, she won right?
    Saw her while on the way.
    She sees me and I’m on time.

I know this place in Beqqy,
    (Beqqy, Beqqy, Beqqy)
    It’s all kinds of empty.
    (Where you at?)
    Ain’t seen no trees or rocks,
    Cause that’s what Santa Fe got.
    (All this fucking rain)

But this place is a bop,
    Always been, yeah.
    Southward with the Herd and I bounced off the plain.
    Carnage- man.

This place is so hot, Semiarid night drops.
    What’s that? Oh that? Just hail."

And she thinks to herself, as it ends that... perhaps she should have avoided some areas; but never. History is history and so is geography and song: and the battle had been musical.
    (Lyrics to Bad Guy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsFlbMS7UIc)

Ruinam had never thought he would need to sing anything in his life, especially with so little time to practice. At first he is a little nervous as he steps away from his group, looking around at the other horses with a grin 
    "Ahem" 
    The ivory-white stallion starts the beat by tapping his foot on the earth, creating a quick tempo to sing to.

"Redwood now black, these bloody ghosts,
    creepin' around like no one knows,
    earth is so old your grandma knows,
    Thinks she's so criminal.

Bruises, on all these trees cause you,
    can't stop fighting for all this pine,
    faeries had to obtrude to your,
    lack of common sense.

So you're a tough land,
    like it really rough land,
    sometimes hot and cold land,
    Trees always so tall land,
    It's the scare land,
    Spook your grandma bad land,
    Make other lands mad type,
    Might seduce your land type."

The stallion quickly kneels down and his companion fox runs up to him, tapping the stallion's throat with its small paw to create a rippled effect in the stallion's voice
    "I'm the bad land, Duh!" 
    He finishes, quickly jumping up and returning to his group so they could take over.
    I'm the best land, Duh!
    ruinam-500px
    Tongue 
    [Set to the tune of Loch Lomond https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNo9Xo-vl5g]

She has never been a great lover of drawing attention to herself. Lilli would just as happily blend into a crowd than stand out in it. However, this assignment requires otherwise. There is a tentative smile plastered on her face as they have been split into groups by their teacher. The crimson girl sends one fleeting (almost pleading) glance to her golden cousin and then goes to greet her teammates. Lilli agrees to help Olver where she can and tries to keep the young Cassian on task (though he doesn't seem to have singing on his mind).  They pick their lands and set about creating their different songs.

Olver has a unique request and of course, Lilli obliges. (Does she ever say no?) The pair head for Tephra. Lilli does what she can for Olver and when her business is concluded there, she makes her way to Ischia to learn what she can. It's a quick (but interesting) lesson and the chestnut makes a note to visit the islands again when she has more time. As she returns to Tir's class, she decides on an old tune that she once heard a friend sing a lifetime ago. With an air of determination, she puts verses together in what she hopes is an acceptable song for her first assignment.

When she returns and after she has performed Olver's song, she finds enough courage to sing her own. Lilli has never been known for her singing abilities but the mare exhales gently as she stands before her class, an attempt to release the slight anxiety she feels. One more breath and her voice comes out soft yet clear:

"Farther north and beyond the shore,
    Lies a place of nautical lore.
    There legends and sea creatures do dwell,
    In the crystal waters that rise and swell."

Another short exhale and she moves into her refrain.

"At its heart, unable to hide,
    Lay the isles exposed by the tide.
    In sultry heat and beneath the summer sun,
    Jungles are vibrant and the springs do run."

Just when her nerves start to rise, another breathe and she moves into her final verse with a soprano lilt.

"'Twas there I did glance a magical sight,
    The beach was aglow with lovely blue light.
    Against the backdrop of midnight hue,
    Its eerie brilliance I did view. "

One last breath and the crimson girl offers a shy smile to her classmates, relieved to have this assignment over with.
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind
    Elaina knew exactly why she was doing this. She wanted to represent her kingdom, to learn all she could and bring something positive to Hyaline. She wanted to make Kensa proud of her. Elaina has never desired fame, nor glory, but she wished to be apart of something bigger than herself. And, maybe, Hyaline, with Kensa leading them, this could give Elaina what she is looking for. She had decided to summer school and see what she could learn, hoping to better herself in the process, as a herd member and as a scholar.

There is hardly anything threatening about Elaina when she arrives. She is small, pretty, there is something about her that is almost dainty looking. When she receives her assignment in class Elaina begins her work, trying to use her limited knowledge of this new land and basing it off what she has heard from others. She thinks of her mother’s voice, Beylani had sang like an angel. But the songs her mother had sang had been her own family’s history and how they had lived, she knew that this would not work in this situation. It is then, surprisingly, her father comes to mind, and the little riffs he would jokingly sing. Thinking of this then, Elaina sparks an idea and looks to her group members to confirm she had it just right before she must step forward for her own performance.

The golden girl takes a deep breath, calming her nerves, before diving in, knowing the best way to experience life is jumping in head first.

(set to :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-VnjtQhKc0)

(Gotta be cool, BQ, know what I’m saying?)

She feels the rhythm in her bones and smile reaches the corners of ash dusted lips. She continues.

Drop down your wings in the middle of the trees
    You know where you already be
    Go ahead, go ahead
    You gotta walk up to the lady, mind reader
    I like them boulders, bigger than a pony
    Go ahead, go ahead

Now this place is so dang beautiful, trees
    look like the autumn season
    And they colors not about to start changing, no
    What where is the sunlight? Go ahead
    It used to be ruled by a hound and his
    Queen dressed in a shade of pastel green
    They tried to fight back in a war and now they sitting banished
    as nomads
    Ah, ah, go ahead, yeah

She dips into the chorus, the smile rising to her face. She is just hoping that

Now let me see this terra wurk
    terra wurk, terra, terr terr terra work
    Go ahead, go ahead
    Now let me this terra wurk

She manages to make it all the way through the song, stopping with a smile continuing to hug her face as she can almost picture her father standing beside her, laughing and joining in. Wondering, perhaps, when it will be next they can write a song together.
    She then steps back towards her group, ready to assist where it is necessary and support her fellow classmates.
    Music AND geography? The pale stag nearly rolls his eyes, singing? This is not what he expected when he enrolled. He looks around nervously as each group starts to sing, he was a cool guy (or at least he thought he was) and singing was not a good look.

But he didn't want to fail either and as Ruinam fades out from his verse Nolin moves forward a pace.

(Tune is to this song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJdK3grm5w)

He glances around one last time before forcing the words out.

I'mmmmmm a horse full of fur
    It keeps me from going burrr
    I'm a horse full of fur
    It keeps me from going burrrrrr

Ruinam and Cyprin sing along with him, as the verse ends he is left to sing on his own.

I knew they said the north was cold
    They warned the summer was better
    But mannnnnnnnnnnn I can't tell when winters over
    I tried to visit the icy home
    but it left me unable to feel my body

I just wanted to see the nothern lights
    They swear, it turns blue
    Surrounded by waterrr
    I wonder if its really worth the swim
    Is it?

His voice wasn't the best, but he was at least able to stay on beat and remembered the words! As a small smile tugged at his mouth he finishes up the song as Ruinam and Cyprin join in again.

I'mmmmmm a horse full of fur
    It keeps me from going burrr
    I'm a horse full of fur
    It keeps me from going burrrrrr