• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

oh, my siren won't you call; any

love is my religion. i could die for that.

Despite his storied heritage, Aegean himself is not particularly inclined toward politics.

He was born a Prince and yet has never once hungered for power. He was raised in the East during the golden years—saw it at its peak and then watched as it crumbled into something new. He knew that his mothers prided themselves on their role as Queen Caretakers and the influence they wielded because of the way that they could use it to help others and yet he himself has never sought to see such a thing.

Still, he has enjoyed his home within Hyaline and he appreciates the vision that Kensa has painted for the land. He finds that he can stand behind such an idea and enjoys the freedom that she weaves around each of them as easily as his mother manipulated dreams and he has come to control his own illusions.

So when she asks him to visit the forest kingdom, he does not deny her.

Instead he turns his nose toward the horizon and begins to make his way to the forest, his amethyst hooves digging in the soil and his antlered head swaying back and forth as he takes in all of the sights along the way. When he is near to what he believes is the border, he pauses, hesitating, and then lifts his head. He knows that he should use his voice to call for whoever calls this place home, but it seems dull.

So rather than reach for such a gift, he closes his purple eyes, the glow around him intensifying as he pulls into his power. He grabs onto it and lets it spark into the air above him. It stars as a ray of silver light that explodes into silver fireflies and then rains down as comets—harmless illusions that splash against the forest floor as raindrops and absorb soundlessly into the mulch. His lips curve and still he says nothing.

i could die for you.

aegean is here and ready to be weird.
    Her laughter bursts forth in an explosion of delight.

What is Popinjay doing so close to the Hyaline border? For that matter, what is she doing across it? The terrain is rockier and the evergreens smaller as the soil grows poorer and the elevation rises, and the dark filly is nimbly rock-hopping with the recklessness of a bighorn lamb, but not quite the same amount of skill. Scuffs and dirt smeared on her coat tell the story of her spills, and the broad star on her forehead is stained red after being sliced in a tumble down the hill.

But it isn’t that bad. Probably. She can’t actually see it, but the pain has ebbed away and she has returned to her games immediately, conquering the feet of the foothills and exploring the shallow caves. She is in one of these caves when the pale stallion passed by, glowing in the light, while she is all but invisible in the mouth of the cavern, only her star and the glint in her eyes to give her away. At first, she thinks he is an elk, although she has never seen a white one before, and that is what pulls her attention to him, but she sees quickly that he is not, rather another of this land’s odd horse-beasts, still, a fascinating one. Her nostrils flare, then crumple with his scent, he smells more like the rocky hills she has been playing in than the loam-and-leaf odor of the Taigan forest, and she steps deeper into the shadow with a scrutinizing gaze. Never mind that she is the actual intruder here, this stallion does not belong here. Small ears pin and she stamps her foot in irritation, thudding dully against the dirt floor. Where does he think he is going?

When he has passed and continued on his path, the filly finally peeks from around the end of darkness, curling her neck around the warm, grey, rock, pressing her small chest into it to peer after him, and – so slowly! – she steps out and begins tailing him. She wonders if he is as ornery as the bull-elk he resembles with those great antlers atop his head. Her steps slow a little more, but it is not hard to follow him, because even as the forest grows thicker and the light dims, he glows and is easy to find. Thus, Popinjay follows a stranger back to her home.

He stops, and she does as well, her own small hooves settling into the deep pockets made by his amethyst feet, and she watches in suspicious silence for a bit, waiting curiously to see what he will do. The Stranger seems to also consider this, a moment of indecision rippling around him, and then…

There is no sound to the explosion, but suddenly, silver fireflies dance and whirl, falling deftly to the ground like sparks and embers from a burning tree. She dodges them at first when they threaten to land on her, but, too slow, one strikes her nose. It flares up, silver and bright, and feels like nothing, but her vision temporarily darkens, except for the glimmering starfall and the moon-glow of the stallion. Unable to see anything else, she stumbles blindly toward him from behind.

Popinjay
    She was not quite what you would call refined
    Aegean

I should have loved a thunderbird instead
    at least when spring comes they roar back again

He does not expect that when he will be greeted, it will be from someone behind him.

Curious, he angles his head to see the girl stumble forward and he frowns, wondering at what would cause her to behave in such a manner. He looks around and sees the brightness of the fireflies around him and it suddenly occurs to him that they could have frightened her. He doesn’t feel guilt or fear but he doesn’t hesitate to absorb the illusion, letting it fade and leaving the only light the glow from his body.

“I’m sorry,” he says, his breathy voice genuine for whatever may have caused her sudden stumbling forward but not apologetic for the magic itself. “Are you okay?” His dark purple eyes sweep upward and catch the blood smeared across her forehead. “Did you hurt yourself?” He has no way to try and heal her; he has no way to ease her pain, but he asks anyway, feeling the empathy of it race through him.

Aegean has not spent much time around fighters and was not a particularly rambunctious child so he doesn’t know what it is like to injure so casually and he feels the faint twinge of worry in his chest.

“My name is Aegean,” he offers as an olive branch—wondering if he has perhaps ruined the diplomatic mission before he had even gotten a chance to talk to another. (Kensa would never trust him to represent Hyaline ever again.) “I come from Hyaline and simply wanted to see how things are going in Taiga.”

He wants to ask her more—does she live here, how does she like it, why does she stay—but he feels like he has already said and done too much so he remains quiet, watching instead and letting the silence stay.

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead
    (I think I made you up inside my head.)

When the lights fade out, Popinjay is left in darkness, with only the broad side of the white elk-stallion to guide her, and she steps clumsily into him, pressing her nose against his flank for bearing, no longer concerned about the danger he might pose. The blindness was only ever temporary, and, slowly, her eyes recover, the dim forest becomes sharp again to her dark eyes. She blinks twirling stars from her vision, small ears swiveling to catch his apology and word of concern. She has already forgotten about the cut on her forehead and the blood on her face, that happened so long ago, years ago, why would he even bring it up? She shakes the last of the darkness from her eyes. And what a ridiculous thing to ask, where Taiga is going, Taiga isn’t going anywhere! Does he thinks the trees are just gonna get up and walk away?

Wait, can they get up and walk away?

Popinjay decides to store that question away for later. It suddenly dawns on her that the Dangerous Stranger she was following so carefully, is actually close enough to touch. In fact, she had touched him. She squeals and skitters away from Ayjay of Hyena, hopping the rotted remnants of a nearby tree stump so that it stands between them, a small mound of black, wet, wood and moss that even the youngest foal in the Taiga could easily conquer, and fixes an appraising eye on him. He doesn’t look like a hyena, but anything seems possible.

“I’m Popinjay! I heard that hyenas laugh a lot, so you must be awful funny. Oh, oh! Tell me a joke, okay?” Her face brightens, tail flipped over her haunches, as she steps forward eagerly, into the dark mass of soft wood at her feet. She is, neither the diplomat Aegean needs, or the one he deserves.

Popinjay

@[aegean]
    Normally, a species of animal attacking their own for the purpose of food and survival was not high on any list save for a select few. In this case, a Gyrfalcon in particular, one that was most unusual among his kind since he hung around the creatures of the ground rather than those of the sky more often. Turul was a solitary creature by heart though; he appreciated the freedom the skies and his own life allowed. He had friends he could talk to and depend on, a place to call home, and the freedom to do what he wanted.

There also may have been something on the more... promiscuous side going on, but only his closest friend knew the truth. Only time would tell if something miraculous came out of it next spring, since he'd only recently met this new friend of his.

But on this day, true to his nature, Turul was flying in the sky alone, on the hunt for his next meal. The large bird of prey was soaring over Taiga's redwoods not far from the border when he spotted a small sparrow just above the tree line, low enough that it wouldn't detect the falcon unless it looked straight up. So Turul followed after the little bird for a while before he decided he was in the clear and good to dive.

Tucking his wings, the falcon headed for the ground at a very rapid speed; the impact would surely kill the little bird if Trull's claws didn't. His beak was closed and ready to strike, claws poised even though his feet were extended behind him... his wings tucked against him, increasing his speed...

And then the unthinkable happened. Seconds before Turul could catch his prey, a bright light erupted from trees below the falcon and sparrow. The little bird dove off to the side, while Trull's eyes were overtaken by the light. Shaking his head to rid his sight of the sudden onslaught of vision, the falcon came to just in time to see the tree right in front of him. He dove to the left and opened his wings to slow his descent to a glide, the irritated raptor letting out an indignant caw at who had interrupted his hunt.

Banking right, he turned to go investigate the source of the light, having missed the shower display when he was trying to get his eyes to work again. When he came near the edge of the tree line, he spotted a lone horse, a crystal white being that easily stood out against the redwoods. He didn't appear to be dangerous, but the falcon couldn't trust appearances alone.

He would've gone to find Aten, but the falcon was hungry and wished to hunt again. He settled for alerting the golden stallion before turning away from the lone horse, not sticking around to see Popinjay arrive before Aten.

The golden stallion was not far from where Turul almost hit the tree, but his body was facing away, so he did not see the light himself. When the shower itself started, Aten was left curious and turned to see what it could've been, figuring it was either some display of magic by the fairies, or a stranger that had entered Taiga's border. But why make such an entrance? Was their arrival not supposed to be a secret? After all, the stallion hadn't heard a call.

When Turul let him know what was going on, Aten made a move and went to investigate, though not in a huge hurry since Turul didn't seem particularly bothered. When he arrived, the stallion's demeanor changed, seeing that there was indeed a strange horse there, but that Popinjay was there as well, unguarded and willingly so close to the other.

Aten did not charge onto the scene, for he did not wish to alarm the other horse. Turul had said he wasn't dangerous, and there was no reason to go starting a fight. Instead, he walked up calmly, looking at the other stallion a moment before speaking to the filly.

"Popinjay, are you all right? You seemed a bit dazed when I arrived," he offered, not having heard her speaking to the other stallion about hyenas.

Then Aten turned to the stranger, "If it was you who set off that display earlier, I must admit it was an... intriguing method, if not entirely wanted. A vocal call would've been preferable." He would not let the stallion know that his light show had hurt Turul's eyes, for the damage was not fatal anyway.

"You are not from the Taiga I take it, for I would have met you by now. You smell of Hyaline; are you an ambassador from there? Visiting on behalf of Kensa?" Aten didn't know much about the mare, but gossip among horses in the community lands was a powerful weapon.

@[Aegean] @[Popinjay]
    Lethy and Owin had not been to far off for when Owin felt Popinjay's mind pull away from Taiga he may have insisted to his mother that they go see how Popinjay was. Lethy simply sighed, knowing that Popinjay was a force of her own always wandering off and getting into mild trouble. So far, thankfully, she had not injured herself or anyone else to badly. And so she followed Owin as he followed the familiar tug of Popinjay.

They moved at a leisurely pace, until Owin was close enough to peer into Popinjays mind and had read her thoughts of a "dangerous stranger" and soon they were no longer moving at a leisurely pace but one of upmost importance. It did not take long for them to come upon the unlikely trio. Owin had told Lethy along the way that Popinjay must be fine because he had felt Aten and Turul's familiar minds as well. 

Finally, seeing them with her own amethyst eyes allowed Lethy to inhale and exhale a sigh of relief. Popinjay, there you are. she exclaimed moving closer to her with Owin putting space between her and the horned stranger. No more than she stopped she noticed the scrape and dried blood smeared across her forehead and she rolled her eyes briefly. You need to be more careful. she said lipping at the girls dark forelock. Your star is not shining so bright right now. her attention moved to Aten and the stranger before Popinjay could object to her motherly touches or her light hearted scolding, she knew the girl would not be happy for hers and Aten's interruptions in her adventures - but better safe than sorry. Hello, she said to the stranger in Taiga and then shifting her purple gaze, not much different from the strangers, to Aten, Aten, is everything okay? she said softly, concern settling in her eyes as her gaze shifted back to the strangers to stay.
    forget me not; but never remember
    Lethy

@[aegean] & @[Popinjay]
    Sorry. I cant get it to change users on my prev. Post.
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Aegean

I should have loved a thunderbird instead
    at least when spring comes they roar back again

Aegean has never thought of his gift as anything but magical. He was so detached from the idea of cruelty that the idea his gift could be perceived as a threat had never occurred to him; in much the same manner, he had never once thought that his gift could do harm. What danger was there in illusions? So, even now, when faced with the brunt of consequences of his actions, he does not piece it together.

Instead he blinks slow, his smile a flirty thing around his velvet mouth.

As the child stumbles into him, his brow rises just slightly and his expressions takes on something of mild amusement, but he doesn’t move away. Instead he just stands quietly, angling his head in thought as she begins to spout what feels like nonsense. Luckily, Aegean has always taken great delight in nonsensical things and he laughs, low and throaty. “I am not very funny,” he admits, not quite understanding why she would think that he is. “I could show you things or tell you of the stars, but jokes are not my niche.”

It is then that the duo is joined first by the bird, then the golden stallion, and then mother and so duo. He watches as they interact, taking no offense when the last stallion to join separates himself from the young girl. Shaking his head and remembering Aten’s words, he brings his attention back to the stallion. “Oh, I wasn’t aware that vocal calls were the preferred method of communication. There are so many ways to communicate nowadays, are there not?” He smile doesn’t waiver and if his ignorance is surprising given his raising and heritage, he doesn’t think on it. “I will make sure to remember that next time.”

Aten goes on to question him and if Aegean is distracted by Lethy checking on the child, it is only for a moment. He nods at her introduction and then addresses them all. “Yes, I was just letting Popinjay know,” he smiles at her again, that youthful glint in his eye before continuing. “My name is Aegean and I do indeed come from Hyaline. She has asked me to simply visit and see how Taiga fares.”

There was more to the visit, he thinks, but he has long forgotten the purpose.

Especially when faced with such an intriguing and unexpected greeting as he has elicited.

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead
    (I think I made you up inside my head.)

@[Popinjay]
    She doesn’t notice Turul banking sharply after the display, her attention is heavy on the softly glowing stallion's words. The filly sees only him, and when he admits to not knowing any jokes, her brow crumples slightly in disappointment, disappointment that quickly sheds with his offer of more magic, and stories of stars. But just as she opens her mouth to ask, Aten arrives, tall and stern, stepping forward into the small clearing and signaling the end of childish questions. She ducks her head, lips closing, and cranes her neck to peer upwards at Aten towering above her. Then, a flood.

“There were lights! Did you see the lights? He made them!” She turns back, bright gaze landing on the pale stallion once more, “And then one hit my nose so I couldn’t see for a minute, but I’m okay! And he was going to tell me a joke, but I guess he doesn’t know any, so he was gonna tell me about stars instead! But, probably you don’t wanna hear about stars?”

This last question is angled back at Aten, just the faintest hint of hope lingering on her tongue that perhaps Aten is interested in stars and magic. One ear turns, catching the sounds of two horses approaching with some haste, and she turns just as Lethy appears between the trees, Owin in tow. Immediately, her view of the Hyalinian stranger becomes obscured, and she dances back a few steps as the mare blockades her protectively. When Lethy scolds her, a roguish grin settles over her and Popinjay leans forward, pressing her forehead and the dimmed star against the space behind the golden mare’s shoulder.

“I’ll be more careful next time.” Though her murmured voice sounds contrite enough, dark eyes find Owin’s and flash conspiratorially.

Popinjay
    Popinjay ambushed the golden stallion with a barrage of comments before the stranger could say much himself. Aten glanced down at the filly as she spoke in rapid fire, asking Aten if he'd seen the lights before saying that the stranger had caused them, how Popinjay was hit on the nose, and that apparently, the stallion had a joke to share before wanting to talk about stars instead.

The filly's eager question left Aten momentarily stunned since he was still comprehending everything she had said. He almost didn't know what to say, since Turul gave him a head's up that Lethia and Owin were on their way as he'd seen them from the sky while hunting. It didn't give Aten a lot of time to think, of a way to distract the filly at least.

"Well, I do enjoy stories of the stars and sun in the sky. Perhaps our visitor would be willing to share those stories, after we have a moment to become acquainted with each other."

Before he could make progress with that, Lethia and Twin arrived on the scene. Lethia immediately came forward and placed herself between her filly and the stranger, Owin on her tail. She warned the filly and greeted the stranger before asking Aten if everything here was all right. The golden stallion nodded, smiling at the mare as he took one step sideways to be closer to her.

"My answer will depend on the reason that this stranger is here," he said, turning his gaze, "But so far, it seems that you are not here for any ulterior reason."

The stranger introduced himself, as well as confirming where he came from and why he was here. Aten's first thought seemed to be correct, but first impressions could always be deceiving. He would continue to withhold his judgment on this stallion until he proved otherwise, especially if he planned to be here for a while.

"Well to meet you Aegean," Aten greeted in return. "I go by the name Aten. This is Lethia," he motioned to the mare, "I am afraid that neither of us may have much information to share however. Beyond Wolfbane and Lepis being in charge, what is it that Kensa wishes to know about Taiga? Never have we had a visitor who came here simply to check on the state of things."

@[Izora Lethia] @[aegean] @[Popinjay]