• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

If this was a movie; Lepis
    It had been ages it seemed since she had been new to Beqanna full of timid curiosity. The image of Loess' salty lake stood vivid in her mind along with her new friend Lepis beside her. It had been the moment all had changed. In one quick moment the plague had consumed all and then just as quickly leaving, for good. She had moved on of course, she had no intentions in that moment settling down. She had so much life to live and so much land to explore but she would never forget her friend - or so she thought.

She had not forgotten her completely. Much had changed within the many passing seasons. Her life had been completed and stripped apart to many times to count. She had lost herself more than once, placing every good memory, feeling, moment away. It had settled deep beneath her self pity, locked away to be "forgotten". 

During the meeting she had not expected to find the face of a friend starring back at her from the pedestal in the meadow. Lethy had found a home, had regained the confidence she had lost all because of one man who remained a solid constant over the last few months. She had watched all of that confidence of his own that he had placed upon her be stripped away in one fell swoop. The names of those that had taken it from him had graced her ears more than once, but her name along with others had been packed away. She had not in a million years expected that name to belong to her face, a face she could not forget.

After the meeting she waited as Aten left her side, hoping that she could talk to her. She did not know if it would be different now, with the current circumstances but she did not have many friends and she would be kicking herself later if she did not try.

Lepis she said quietly as she moved to find her friends  as she descended from her spot above them. A gentle smile graced her muzzle as her friend came into view.
    forget me not; but never remember
    Lethy

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    The dun mare's excitement at seeing Lethy at their very small assembly had been genuine, and she is equally pleased to find the other golden mare alone. It occurs to her for a moment that they are all of them golden, the septet of Taigans who do not creep in the shadows. Aten, Wolfbane, Pteron, Eyas, Marni, Izora Lethia and even Lepis. A flicker of amusement crosses the pegasus' blue lips as she greets the familiar mare.

"Hello Lethy," she says, using the name that the buckskin mare had given her that day in Loess rather than the more formal. It is not often that Lepis chooses to be informal, but this is an exception. She is home, here in her land. There is plenty to eat, it is not terribly cold, and Taiga is too low in population for her to be at all particular.

Much has transpired in the time since the two mares last spoke. Some of it was joyful, while other parts far less so. For much the same reason that she suspects Lethy does not ask, Lepis remains quiet on the burning questions regarding what has changed in the life of the other since their last meeting.

"I see you're expecting," she says instead, gesturing with a muzzle to where a growing foal swells Izora Lethia's side. Is it Aten's, Lepis wonders? "I am as well," is spoken as she lifts her near wing, the gold and blue feathers raising to reveal that the navy-pointed Comtesse will also be delivered of a child come spring. "What is springtime like here in Taiga," she asks Lethy as she resettles her wing. "Have you been here for one yet?"

@[Izora Lethia]
    Her posture softens as Lepis greets her with her nickname a smile folding out on her lips. Lethy had intended on offering Lepis her condolences but having experienced the loss of a child herself she struggled to bring the words to her lips. It was always easier to put the thoughts and the words away, and so she was grateful when Lepis continued on. She motioned to her swelling sides and and showed her a peak of her own growing belly. Lethy's smile widened as her purple eyes danced in the suns Ray's. Isn't it wonderful? Though, I am ready to meet the little one. I remember last we talked your children were running around causing havoc. the statement was teasing and playful. I am so glad to see you are doing well.

Lethy watched her golden friend, she was as beautiful as the first time she met her, though the woods and it's cover did not seem to suite her quite as well as the open fields of Loess and the shimmering lakes. I have not been here for a spring yet. Aten found me and saved me from the river shortly after last spring ended. I have not been disappointed so far though. she laughs softly, It really is a beautiful home. I am curious to see how you like it compared to Loess. 
    Lethy

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    The pegasus smiles at the amethyst eyed mare, recognizing the softening of her posture and the eager grasp of Lepis’ offered topic. Izora Lethia does not seem as determined as the golden Aten to dislike the new Comtesse of Taiga, and Lepis feels inexplicably grateful. It would be nice to have a friend here in the woods, the dun mare thinks. Her husband and children are good company, but there are times when she would prefer to be alone, or perhaps in the company of someone as uncomplicated as Lethy.

The other mare is playful and teasing in her speech, and Lepis feels no need to color her emotions with false enjoyment.

“The havoc is a little more controlled now that they’re older,” she agrees with a smile. “My oldest, Pteron, mentioned meeting you the other day,” she adds, more as an introduction of her son than any intention to shift the conversation toward him. “Marni and Eyas are here in Taiga as well. Only Tiercel did not come with us.” She does not know where he is, but Lepis doesn’t say that. She still tells herself that he will come around eventually, that he will see the reasoning behind their actions.

Ad she known the other’s thoughts – that she is better suited for the rolling Loesian hills – Lepis would have nodded in agreement. These woods are beautiful in a way she has never before seen, but they are not home The redwoods due not call to her the way the ridges and valleys of her birthplace do. Still, it is the home she has chosen for the time being, and it is the place that she will stay for a little while yet.

“We’ll get to experience it together then,” she says of Springtime to Izora Lethia. “I’m glad Aten found you. I didn’t think I’d see you again, at least not here.” In Hyaline perhaps, Lepis had thought, but she knows well the draw of places and the horses that dwell in the. Rescuer and damsel-in-distress, Lepis thinks with a smile, another aspect to the relationship that she is beginning to suspect exists between her friend and the somber Champion.

“I miss the sky,” The dun mare says abruptly, glancing overhead to where the redwood canopy encloses them. “These trees are beautiful, I do not think I am at heart a creature meant for such close quarters. I’ve always fallen asleep with the stars above me, and they are so hard to find here in the woods.” Between the arching branches and the fog, the winged mare has seen few of the clear nights that she so loves. “It is beautiful,” she adds quickly lest Lethy think she cannot see the good for the bad. “A different sort of beautiful, I suppose.”

@[Izora Lethia]
    She finds herself relaxing into the conversation at hand. Though the manner of how Lepis came to Taiga was a stressed one she was happy that she was her. The woods had grounded her and brought her back from a dark place that had nearly taken her life, but it was quiet. It had just been her and Aten and a handful of others far and few between who took the seclusion of the woods to there advantage and didn't socialize. To have a friend residing in her home was a relief she didn't k ow she needed, even if she was now her leader.

Lethy suspected she would do a great job, after all when they had first met in Loess she thought she must be someone of importance.

Her eyes flickered in recognition as Lepis talked of her son Pteron, who she had met. Though she did not know that was who he was when meeting. It makes sense now.

She smiled lightly at Lepis and nodded in agreement that she was glad Aten had found her and that they could experience spring together, and with the new life inside of them Lethy smiled a little bigger at the thought especially after both of their losses.

The sky is indeed hard to reach beneath the cover of all of Taiga's growth. Her eyes shifted following the river remembering the path Aten had taken her on when she had first come to
    Taiga. A path that was level for the most part and then shot up a rather large hill that opened up into clear, untouched space where you could look out and down on a beautiful waterfall. Their special place to get away from it all.

Lethy did not think it would hurt to give Lepis, her friend, a small hint on how to reach the sky. Though she was not particular on someone coming in and taking Aten's place she did not want her friend to be uncomfortable while here. It is not completely hidden, the sky that is. If you travel far enough up you'll reach it. A most beautiful place indeed. her gaze shifted back to Lepis.
    Lethy

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    “Bane did find a place where we can see the sky,” she tells Izora Lethia when the other mare mentions the growth. “I think he means to find more places, or perhaps even to make them.” Her husband is ambitious, she thinks with a soft smile, always planning. They are a fit pair, and her smile is fond for a brief moment before returning her attention back to her companion.

“Perhaps when I am better prepared to travel far though, you might show me this place you speak of?” Lepis says, gesturing with her navy muzzle to her own wide belly; she has not felt inclined to do much moving with this pregnancy. The idea of seeing the open air more often does appeal to her. The dun mare has grown more familiar with the redwood forest in the time since her arrival, but she is far from knowing all the secrets of the territory. Knowing that Izora Lethia has not been here much longer than Lepis herself, the dun mare returns the topic to one that she has wondered since she first saw the buckskin Lethy appear in response to her and Wolfbane’s summons of the Taiga.

“So what have you been up to since we said goodbye at the salt lake?” Lepis asks. She does not mean to pry and so leaves the question wide, sure that Lethy knows she is curious only of the details that the other mare is willing to share. “Other than being saved from the river by a handsome stranger, of course.” Her blue-grey eyes brighten in good humor and perhaps a bit of harmless teasing.

@[Izora Lethia]
    Lethy's eyes crinkled with worry for only a moment, so briefly that she hoped Lepis hadn't seen it. Make space? In Taiga. What did that mean? Was he planning on removing the Redwoods or at least some of them? She would hate to see the forest stripped of it's natural foliage. She would definately need to show Lepis her and Aten's spot. She would show her all of the open land if she had to, maybe they wouldn't feel compelled to upheave the redwoods if they knew they had enough open space.

Her thoughts returned to the conversation as Lepis asked her what had happened to her since the salt lake, and though Lethy did not like to talk about it she was grateful for the change of topic. I met a man, his name is Raed. A wayward soul never bound to one place. she started a small smile creeping across her muzzle at the way Raed made her feel when it was just the two of them, but she moved her story in quickly. We had a filly, she did not make it. Details were not important, Lepis would surely understand her pain on the topic. I ventured to the mountain and the fairies told me to seek out 3 immortals. I..... I've been procrastinating on this. You see I am not so sure that is what I seek. Immortality. I hide from others, and myself. I lost hope... and then Aten found me and brought me here. she smiled softly at the thought. Aten would always be there to protect her, always dependable in his ways. She could not ask for more, this was certain.I would never of expected you to end here either. her brow raised slightly, How about yourself, what's your story?
    Lethy

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    The worry that she had seen in Lethy’s eyes does nto go unnoticed. Lepis makes no mention of it though, recognizing well the attempt to keep it veiled. There is enough in her own past that she does not feel comfortable sharing. She does’nt intend to pry where Izora Lethia does not wish. And she is not long left in quiet contemplation, for the buckskin mare soon begins to speak. The Comtesse listens with interest as the other mare recounts the happenings. The naem Rae is not one she knows, but the small smile arouses some curisoty. Lepis thinks she knows that look, but it does not mesh with the assumtpion that she had made earleir about Lethy and Aten.

Then Lethy mentions having lost their child, and Lepis makes a soft noise of empathy. There is a black pitted stone on the beach of Loess, after all, where Lepis visits each spring in memory of her stillborn firstborn. There is nothing that quite numbs the ache of losing a child that had never even lived. There are things that make it forgettable – like the fire of revenge for the death of their younger sibling – but nothing makes it vanish entirely. She doubtd it ever will.

Once again, she is grateful for the chatter of the buckskin mare, for the mention of immortality brings a faint smile to the pegasus’ face despite the tone in which it had been mentioned.

“My mother is immortal,” she tells Lethy. “She never spoke of it much, but when we met for the first time in years, a few months ago, she looked more like my daughter than my mother.” Lepis is not old herself, barely a decade, but she is past the perpetual range of five and six in which the immortals seem most often to remain. There might be advantages to it, the tobiano thinks, but it is not a thing she would ever seek. Lethy smiles fondly at her next mention of Aten, and Lepis does the same, glad that the other mare seems to have found some semblance of contentment here in the Taiga.

That she would never expect Lepis to be here either brings a light chuckle to the navy-pointed mare.

“I wouldn’t either. The forest is not my favorite environ, if that wasn’t obvious.” she refers to her love of the sky that she’d recently mentioned, and gestures toward the canopy once more for good measure.

“After the Plague was cured, my family and I returned to Loess from where we had been staying – the Brilliant Pampas.” The quiet herdland was known as a refuge from the illness, and most of Loess had gone there during the worst of the illness. “Then the war came, and though it is ended now it was not without casualties. My son, Gale, was one of them.” She had mentioned their loss before, she knows, and does not linger on it longer than she must to include it in her tale.

“I am going to make sure that no other mother loses her child in such a way.” She says. “And coming to Taiga, even taking it from Aten, is part of how I mean to accomplish that.”

@[Izora Lethia]
    She thinks she can see the speculation cross Lepis' eyes at the mention of Raed. She could understand the confusion, because she herself was confused. She was grateful for Aten. He saved her, he was good for her, he was her safe spot. He held a tender spot in her heart. One that was love but not the crazy, passionate kind that makes your blood boil and turn with passion. It was a soft, tender love. One that she could grow comfortable with and depend on.

Raed had been a hitch in time itself. A passionate moment, two moments, that were filled with nothing but jumping nerves, and lingering touches. He was the kind of man that came and went like a summer storm, leaving all in it's wake numb and alive all at once.

She acknowledged Leps' empathy returning her own. When the pegasus turned the conversation towards her mother Lethy found herself attentive to her words. What would it be like to outlive your children? It did not seem right to her that one would keep that youthfulness for ones self. She did not want to look down on Popinjay and Owin one day to find that they were twice her age, that their bodies where failing them while hers wouldn't allow itself to age a day. No, she could not do that to herself, her childen, or even Aten.

She had been there in Loess with Lepis when the plague let lose consuming all. It did not discriminate, old, young, pregnant, barren, healthy,  sick, everyone. She must have been just returned from the Pampas. What shit luck to leave home for safety and then to come back and become sick with out any choice.

The war she had stayed away from. She had wondered in those days. In fact, it was not long after that Aten had found her. She did not ponder on the whispers as she wallowed in her own self doubt and grief. It was no concern of hers, but since the news of Lepis and Wolfbane's loss had been made known to her she almost felt guilty that she had not been there. She was sure that even if she had been there she would not have been able to change the outcome but still it settled in the back of her mind.

I am going to make sure that no mother loses her child in such a way, and coming to Taiga, even taking it from Aten,is part of how I mean to accomplish that. Lepis said. Lethy peered at the mare her purple eyes shadowed by her thick, black lashes. She could understand where Lepis was coming from. The lose of someone who is essentially apart of you is devastating. It changes people, forces them to do drastic things, things they wouldn't do normally. She hoped what ever she had planned was really for the good of Beqanna as a whole, not just for herself, not just for her family. The anxiety of her uncertainty was there, change had never suited her. She reached out in a gentle touch, I really hope you find what you are looking for here in Taiga, I really do. Just know if you ever need an second opinion or someone to vent to I am always here. and by always she really ment that. Taiga was her home and she hoped it would remain the peaceful sanctuary it was.
    Lethy

@[Lepis]
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    Lepis smiles over at the other mare, her blue-grey eyes bright. The idea of having a friend here in Taiga means more to her than she had expected. She’s not entirely she she has ever had a friend before. Family, acquaintances, subjects, kings, and husbands she has had her share of, but not friends. Rey might have been her friend, Lepis thinks, but the cameleon mare had not shared a home with her and their interactions had been surface-level at best.

So when she says to Lethy: “Thank you,” she means it more than she does most things she says. “And the same goes to you.”

There is a shift in her midsection, one that she knows well by this point. Birth is still a long way off, but her body has begun to warn her of its arrival. And end to this overlong pregnancy, she realizes with relief.

“I’ve got to leave now, but thank you for seeking me out.” They will have to get their children together, she thinks. It will be nice for Celina to have friends in the woods as well.

@[Izora Lethia]
    wrapping this one up so babies can be born! Smile