• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

so show me where my armor ends; wolfbane
    The soft light of the full moon colors the shadowed hills with an apricot hue, reminding the dark-eyed mare of the filly she’s seen with Pteron a time or two. She does not know the girl – Wander – but her family seems settled in the Brilliant Pampas. Not the highest born, she thinks, but Pteron is not either – at least not anymore. He’d been the firstborn son of the Southern Empire, and now he is just a foot soldier in the Loessian Army.

What does that make her, Lepis wonders?

She does not question the necessity of their flight from Loess after the Plague nor from the Pampas after the threat of Wyrm, but the navy-haired mare has found that she was far more attached to the certainty of her position than she might have imagined. It is not the wielding of power she misses (though there was certainly pleasure in that), but rather the firm foundation with which it had given her.

Contrary to the informality of so many monarchs, Lepis has always identified herself first as a queen and secondly as an individual. She enjoys the view from the height of the world’s stage, the thrill of moving about the pieces at her whims. Yet despite her newfound safety and return to Loess, she cannot help but feel as though something is missing. How convenient it would have been to be handed Loess on their return, as Wolfbane had intended by placing Vulgaris at the helm.

Yet her home is now in the hands of a dragon rather than a snake, and her husband seems happy to carve out a new place for himself rather than settle where they’d left off. She has not said anything (she knows how she will likely sound) yet as the months drag on and her children grow older she has grown more and more restless. No magical solution had presented itself; there’s been no slow down in the tumultuous spiral of emotions that she experiences.

Her thoughts quiet themselves as she presses her face to Bane’s golden chest.

She takes a deep breath, inhaling his familiar smell, laced once more with the dust from the hills. It hadn’t been quite right in the Pampas and in the Beyond, but here – at home – everything settles as it should. When she pulls away she is smiling, both in contentment and in amusement at how easily he can read her.

“I don’t know what to do with myself,” Lepis admits with a smile that is almost bittersweet. “It doesn’t feel right to be without responsibility, but I’ve no interest in following someone else’s orders.”

@[Wolfbane]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: so show me where my armor ends; wolfbane - by Lepis - 05-04-2019, 02:38 PM