• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

If my heart was a house, you’d be home - any
    We got older and I should have known
    that I’d feel colder when I walk alone
    Life on the Isle had become routine so easily: treading back and forth along the border, visiting the heart-shaped lake and the only tree there, when he needed to think (knowing full well only three could or would follow him there in winter). Caring for his son - the youngest replacing the oldest, the cycle continued - and now Breckin had retreated once more. This time, even he couldn’t quite know where she was exactly. It worried him, and for a long enough while his mind had been so occupied.

But lately it had occurred to him just how silent this Isle was - and subsequently remembered that the diplomatic visits that had been planned in the last (and first, and thus the only) council meeting, had never been followed up upon.

Thus, today he followed up himself. Way too late, but late was probably better than never. And perhaps he’d postponed the visits because it would be weird, to go to Tephra. But he’d figured that sending anyone else here instead would not do his relations with them any good, either.

Not because the Isle was particularly important. But because the last he’d heard of his daughter, said she’d “fled” here.

When he arrives, he’s glad that it is autumn. He’s never climbed the volcano before, and quickly decides that due to the ice magic in his blood, he probably never will.

After all, he’s climbed the Mountain quite a few times now, and figures the volcano’s heat is not worth the view to an ice-drake.

He calls out at the border, even if it’s an open land - he is a foreigner, not a traveller or one looking for a home and so he deems it polite. Right now, he’s simply hoping to only speak with Magnus today.

Not that life had even been simple for him, though. It would be just his luck.
    Leilan
    no. 7 | ice forged in fire
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Magnus may have not been impressed the last time that he ran into Leilan, but he was hardly the kind to hold grudges—or, at least, hardly the type anymore. Perhaps it was the wisdom of having been alive for a few hundred years, but the golden King was finally learning the lesson of letting go. So much so that he doesn’t even show signs of his previous annoyance when he walks toward the draconic stallion on his border. Instead he walks forward, that faint golden glow pulsing around him, his smile warm.

“Leilan,” he greets, angling his head, he walks through the flowers and trees, some of them beginning to change colors in the coming autumn and others locked in a perpetual state of emerald. All of it was beautiful to Magnus, in their own way, and were he to have more time to himself today, he would be content to walk through it. Perhaps find a flower or two to bring back to Isle. She’d like that.

Regardless, today is not a day without responsibility, and he lets such fancies slip from his fingers.

Instead, he comes to a stop several feet from the ice dragon, tail flicking and crooked grin widening. “What brings you to Tephra today?” There is a mischievous hint of humor that flickers across his features, enough to tease at the edges of his smile and spark in his gold-flecked eyes. “Rhaegor has been busy lately, but I am sure I can hunt him down if you’re feel like a paternal lecture is in order.”

Just because he didn’t hold a grudge, didn’t mean he couldn’t enjoy the humor of it, after all.

It wasn’t every day that a diplomatic visit went off the rails for a family squabble.

MAGNUS | I don't belong to anyone, but everybody knows my name

@[Leilan]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    We got older and I should have known
    that I’d feel colder when I walk alone
    Magnus - way better than his own daughter, perhaps he is lucky and she takes to roaming as much as he did when he was younger. The man greets him with his name, earning the buckskin a return nod in greeting.

The scaled stallion smiles a bit when asked why he is here. ”I figured maybe I’d try my hand at something new before being buried in the snow.” Diplomacy wasn’t his strong suit, but he’d rather like to learn a thing or two. All jolliness aside, he shrugs at the old man before him (he can call him old, right?) and asks him a return question. ”Did Heartfire visit?” She sure knows just about everything, with her spy-glass eyes - but does that mean she can just sit tight? Not as far as he’s concerned. But he’s willing to do the walking for her, he supposes. Make the effort of greeting kings and queens in person or whatnot.

Actually, the Isle is a lonely place, he supposes. It could do with some allies, and it could do with some changes. After all, the South is a place of constant change, too.

When Magnus starts about Rhaegor, Leilan’s eyes widen slightly before bursting into a short laugh. ”Oh, he knows what I’d say. There’s no need.” And that’s that. He wonders a moment what the youngsters are up to (not that young any more, but his daughter will always be young to him). ”But if you happen to see my daughter, tell her I’ll no longer worry about her going before me.”

A bit too cryptic, perhaps. But somehow he’s sure she’ll latch on sooner rather than later. Maybe she’ll be angry, but he doesn’t think he really cares about her being angry with him any more, as long as she can just live her life.

Returning to Magnus, he smiles a bit. ”What’s the west up to these days? Just being a sa-“ A cough overtakes him, and he turns away. As he feared it would, a large patch of icy cold comes with, resulting in a small ice patch beside the two men. A snort follows as he turns back his head to regard Magnus. ”Sanctuary?” As if nothing really happened.
    Leilan
    no. 7 | ice forged in fire

so I figured this is set between round 2 and 3 of the Cure quests :)
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

but she's bringin' the moon and stars to me -

Despite the fever that burns low and hot within him—despite the aches and the coughs and even despite the ill-fated meeting—Magnus does not mind having the ice dragon on his border. He may enjoy teasing the other, enjoy giving back what Leilan so easily doles out to others, but he does not think the stallion a bad man. An overprotective father perhaps, but Magnus isn’t a perfect father and has no leg to stand on.

So he merely relaxes, flicking his tail at his haunches and rolling a shoulder. “And here I was thinking that you secluded yourself on that block of ice because you found it entertaining.” His inky lips pull into a smile, “It’s good to see you again, Leilan. I’m glad you’ve managed to keep yourself alive.”

After all, anyone with a mouth as quick and loose as Leilan was bound to run into trouble.

More trouble than a bemused soldier with a kid in love at his side.

Still, Magnus rolls it off and takes a step back, beckoning Leilan further into Tephra. “Heartfire has managed to make her way over.” The eagle-eyed Queen certainly didn’t waste any time in firming up their alliance, ensuring that the relationships remained steady throughout the passing of the crown. “It was a good visit. The relationship between Nerine and Tephra will remain solid moving forward.”

He angles his head slightly, looking out of the stallion out of the corner of his eye and keeping his face impassive, even when Leilan coughs up a chunk of ice. Concern touches him briefly, pinches his mouth in the corner, but if the other stallion didn’t feel like commenting on it, Magnus wouldn’t either.

“The West remains quiet, like much of Beqanna, but we are safe and peaceful.”

If only Magnus was to know what would occur in the coming days.

- Magnus

[Image: gqYjsHr.png]