• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Never under estimate dreams and the power of the spirit - Magnus; any
    Jakub followed the King in mostly silence, only stopping to ask questions about the territories. He observed the lands they traveled through and the residence that inhabited them. He memorized as much as he could, taking in anything that may be helpful in his future endeavours and out of the curiosity that was bound to accompany his young age. 

As they passed the Loess he inhaled deeply taking in the vast greenery of the land. A place of tranquility if he so needed, he thought. They replenished at a fresh spring before moving on to the land named Sylva.

The forest was dense despite the Autum season beginning to claim its cover. As they passed through Jakub could feel the stiffness in his muscles begin, this wasn't the unavoidable tiredness of travel that made it's way through his body. It was more of a sickness, something small he picked up along the way? Jakub shrugged it off and kept following his new King to his final destination. 

As they made their way to the heart of Tephra Jakub because more aware, pushing past the relentless exhaustion that finally claimed its territory. 

So, this is your kingdom? he said matter of factly. What do I need to know of your land to be all I can? he continued shaking his head to clear the drowsy from his eyes. This too, whatever it may be, he will fight through. Weak was not in his nature.

@[magnus]
    Tephra inhabitant (Alpha)

In this moment, Magnus can almost remember what it is like to have questions about the land around him. To not know what each kingdom means, to feel that fresh energy that can only come with youth. Even with the new lands—so different from those of his childhood—there is a familiarity that eases any potential uncertainty like river stones. He slides into each day, despite the uncertainty that lingers around the plague and what is to come, comforted by the fact that he knows this like the back of his hand.

He does not fear the unknown the way that he did in his youth.

Still, he is glad to answer the young boy’s questions, feeding his curiosity eagerly as they move through the other kingdoms and lands back to home. When they arrive, Magnus is quiet for a moment, looking at the lush kingdom as it spreads before them. There was nothing like Tephra in all of Beqanna.

Others may have their forests or their cliffs or their lakes.

Leave him the humid tropical land and all of its exotic beauty.

There is a hint of pride in the curl of his lip as he turns back to Jakub. “This is Tephra,” he corrects kindly. “It doesn’t belong to me. It belongs to everyone who calls it home.” That included the colt now. “You should know that we’re a friendly kingdom in that we keep an open border. Any and all are welcome to come live among us should they so choose.” He smiles as he watches a few stir around the kingdom. “Still, we keep an eye on who comes and goes. Just because we are kind does not mean we are weak.”

Turning back, he studies the boy’s face for a second, noting the signs of fatigue.

“Would you like to rest? It’s been a long day.”

MAGNUS | I don't belong to anyone, but everybody knows my name

@[Jakub]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    Jakub nodded as Magnus talked. A place for him to belong,  a smile curled at his lips momentarily and disappeared almost as quickly.

Jakub was young still, and as much as he hated to admit it he had a desire to please others. The King may not be his father, in fact he was nothing like his father. His father had been old and weak minded Jakub reminded himself, he never accepted me always thought of me as a threat when he was anything but. Magnus, Jakub was convinced, was worthy of his loyalty and he wanted to please his King.

Would you like to rest? It's been a long day. Magnus offered Jakub, probably noticing the weariness he had been fighting against. Jakub thought for a moment as he took in the lands of Tephra one more time, I would like to learn from you, Magnus. Jakub said turning his face towards the stallion My father never took interest in me. He was scared to teach me how to lead, and always held me at a distance when it came to his herd. He was worried that instead of supporting him and devoting my loyalty to him, I would rise above him. I want to be a great leader some day don't get me wrong but I believe that to be a great leader I must follow a great leader. I want to be a loyal servant to Tephra and to you. Jakub bowed his head towards Magnus tickling his lips with the grass growing fresh from the ground. He twitched his ears as he pulled his head back up slowly to meet Magnus eyes, to some his need to serve may sound weak and needy but to Jakub it was a necessity to become great. 

@[magnus]

If Magnus is surprised by the boy’s passionate speech, it doesn’t show on his face.

Instead, it remains carefully neutral, thoughtful even, his gold-flecked eyes warm as he studies the boy before him. He recognizes the fire that blooms in the boy’s chest; he understands that desire to become something—to show your parents that you could. His father had never truly understood Magnus. He had been proud of him when he had been an obedient Prince and Lord in the Chamber, but leaving to become the General of the Gates? That he had never understood. That had made him the weak son.

“The weak always try to hold the strong back, Jakub,” he says quietly.

“If your father did the same to you then it’s his loss.” For a moment longer, he is quiet, letting the silence between them swell, watching the volcanic island as the breeze whistles through the trees. He chews on the boy’s proposal, thinking on what he’s asking—thinking about what the boy truly wants.

“To be a great leader, you must always be a servant. That’s the first lesson to learn.” He finally brings his gaze back to Jakub, holding his gaze steady. “To be first, you must be last.” Magnus has not always known the lesson so deeply as he knows it now, but he certainly has learned it in flesh and bone and blood. “It would be an honor to teach you, Jakub. I have no doubt you will grow to be a fine leader.”

MAGNUS | I don't belong to anyone, but everybody knows my name

@[Jakub]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    Jakub watched Magnus as he thought over Jakub's request. His mind wondered over the faces of his father and mother. He couldn't go through that again, he needed someone to believe in him. He needed someone to believe in the good that he could do. He always dreamed of glory, failure wasn't an idea that he could consider and keep amusing in his mind.

To be a great leader, you must always be a servant. That's the first lesson to learn. To be first, you must be last. Magnus said as he came to meet Jakub's gaze once again. A simple thing, to be a servant, but as the words left Magnus lips Jakub could feel just how important this first lesson meant to Magnus. Jakub could only guess at the trials and tribulations Magnus had been through. Jakub had no idea how long Magnus has lead this volcanic land or served beneath her.

Jakub nodded in agreement. He was prepared to do what ever Magnus asked of him or any of Tephra's inhabitants.It would be an honor to teach you, Jakub. I have no doubt you will grow to be a fine leader

Jakub was filled with something he hadn't felt before as Magnus accepted his request to teach him, and hearing the stallions words. He believed in Jakub. No-one except his mother had ever made him feel worthy. A smile threatened to break his now solid demeanor, tugging at the crook of his mouth
    I am prepared to serve in what ever ways are necessary or needed here. What ever it is that I can do or when ever you have need of me, I'll be there. Jakub looked towards his new home, pride for his king and his land settling in his heart. He would not mess this up, Magnus, thank you. he said turning his attention back to his King. If you don't mind, I think I would like to go and get to know my new home and those I will be serving. Jakub motioned towards the vast expanse before them.

@[magnus]