• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i'll be your reason to fight; daddy
    Everything was awful. Defy hated sharing Momma, and he didn’t trust these new people as far as he could shove them, which was not far. Especially since he was supposed to be nice to them or some stupid shit. He was super not impressed, though, and sharing his parents was the stupidest thing in the world.  Had to share Momma with stupid dumb sisters, and had to share Daddy with whatever it was Daddy did when he wasn’t with them, which was also stupid. Clearly Daddy should stay with him.

Pretty much anytime Daddy was gone, he was mad most of the time. Had a hard time being nice and not biting people or kicking or stomping off in a huff, but he was supposed to like, protect Momma and shit. Which yeah okay was super important when Daddy wasn’t home ‘cause who else was gonna keep her safe? He’d been born to the pretty obvious evidence that she needed protecting, so. He did that, he kept her safe, but he could keep her safe and be mad at the same time. So. Fuck off.

Whatever, but anyhow. When he got extra mad at everything, which was honestly a lot, then he just...like shoved all that mad into doing his job, keeping Momma safe. From bad people who wanted to hurt her, or from like scary lions and shit? Sure. Yeah. Both. All of that. He was not in a cuddlesome mood, ‘cause Daddy had been gone for days, and everybody new was getting in his way. He was s’posed to be protecting her, but they kept like. Stealing his time with her, and it was mean and stupid and he hated everythinnnng. And everyone. New people were the worst, and it should be just him and Momma and Daddy.

So anyhow, he was mad, and stompy, and didn’t wanna cuddle with Momma even though they were by themselves finally, ‘cause sitting still was hard when he was feeling all mad and bad and angry and like it rose up inside him and kept him moving, kept him from settling in all cozy and snuggly and being okay sitting still.

So he stomped away to go make sure there was nothing dangerous close by that could hurt Momma again or kill her or nothin’. No fire to make her skin all crispy again, nobody to make her a hurting burnified pile of dying flesh and wheezing lungs and raw crispified Momness again, nothin’ dangerous closeby at all. And when he’d done that and found nothin’ and nobody, he found rocks to kick around instead, and bugs to stomp on, and definitely not people to talk to, ‘cause people were the worst thing ever. 

He stomped in some water too, ‘cause it made big splashes and that was fun. Chased a frog and tried to smash it to look at its guts, but it was a sneaky ol’ hopper and jumped into the water before he could crush it between his little hooves like the bugs and make it go splat. Well played, hopper. You keep your secrets for now.

A butterfly landed on his nose, and he tossed his head, trying to shake it off. What the hell? He was a boy, boys didn’t prance around with butterflies on their noses! Get off! But it clung on with its weird, clingy little too-many legs, even as he snorted and shook his head. 

“Hey! Quit that!” he growled, huffing and rubbing his face on his leg. The butterfly just moved to his leg though with a dainty little flutter, and beamed up at him with cheery weird bug eyes, its annoyingly pretty wings opening and closing slowly like it was taunting him that it could fly and his wings were still stubby baby chicken wings. The jerk. He snapped his teeth at it, and the butterfly finally fluttered away. But slow and sassy-like, not scared at all. So fucking rude.

A bird up in the tree above him laughed its annoying, chittery chirpy twerpy laugh at him, and he glowered up at the stupid thing. “You didn’t see nothin’, so don’t say nothin’,” he commanded, brow furrowed as he scowled up at the dumb blue thing with its dumb blue wings that actually flew. Whatever. So it had grown up feathers. So fuckin’ what? Didn’t mean it was better than him. Defy scowled harder and then snorted at the dumb bird and ran off to go jump in a mud puddle or find a stick to hit things with.

Definitely a stick. That stick, it was perfect for hitting things. He snatched it up with his teeth and tossed his head, whacking it against a nearby rock just to listen to the sound and to feel the way it vibrated through his skull. Oooh that was nice. He did it again, and his grumpy frown got distracted enough to edge toward a grin, his tiny wings splaying out and wriggling a little with delight.

The third time, the stick broke, so he shrugged and dropped it and gave a sassy little buck, then took off running just for the sake of it, ‘cause the way his hooves hit the ground and his muscles worked and his breath came harder and his heart started beating faster felt good. Fine, if everything else was gonna be stupid, he had better things to do, like tear shit up and race around and feel his body light up testing its limits. And if he wreaked a little havoc in the meantime, good.

He didn’t need nobody to entertain him anyhow.
    dovev

His boy had so much anger inside him, a rage barely contained under his skin. No idea where he got it from, of course.

Dovev watched him hunt down the perfect weapon, his naive calculation finding precisely the best one. Then he watched him proceed to beat everything with it until it snapped, enjoyed it while it lasted then tossed it aside like it was nothing. Much like the both of them were likely cursed to do with everything that mattered most to them. Everyone they loved.

As his boy took off running with a proud buck, he walked over to the broken little branch. He should do something here. This was an important moment. But how was he supposed to teach a lesson he himself had yet to learn? How do they stop using and breaking and discarding everything, leaving splintered loved ones in their wake.

"Defy."

Maybe it was from his training. He'd been so brutally trained not to have attachments, and it was so easy to shift his mind and leave them. Or try to. And now look at him. Children and loved ones. So many goddamn attachments. He was just as broken as he made the rest of them. He defied the training of his magician master. Maybe that was why he was in this situation. Testing out the laws placed on him by a traitor. Or perhaps cursed by him.

Or maybe he was just naturally this fucking lucky.

"Defy, come here." He nodded down at it. "That was a good stick, huh?" Good once, broken now that his boy had gotten to it. So much like his daddy. He could just see his own life repeating in his gorgeous son, all the tragedy and hardship he'll have to face. All of it he might cause. It wasn't a big deal though. It was just a stick.

"Do me a favor and remember somethin' when you get bigger, alright? It's fine now," he told him, nuzzling against his neck and sweeping through his soft baby hair. "But when you're bigger, remember to be your own weapon. Leave the sticks where you found them, where they're happy and safe." Maybe they didn't have to break everything they touched.

"And when you find a girl, don't tell her your name. Don't tell her where you live. Just turn around and leave her where she's happy and safe too."

And that stubborn one with the fire in her eyes that just keeps coming back for more.. Give her the perfect miniature, and teach him to treat her right. Better than his daddy ever could.

"You're gonna be a good boy, you hear me? You're mine." He kissed his little forehead and nuzzled him. "We're gonna keep Momma safe and happy, aren't we? She's the only girl you never walk away from. And you gotta keep your sisters safe too."

we're slaves to any semblance of touch

Lord, we should quit but we love it too much

“Defy.”

Oh! Ohhhh Defy instantly ground to a stop, digging his heels in and whirling around to face HIS DADDY! Daddy was hoooome! All that anger he’d been wrestling with evaporated in an instant, and he scampered right over to Daddy for cuddles. Any day with Daddy in it was the best day, and he beamed and rubbed his face against Daddy’s armored shoulder, tucking himself right up against his side and just getting as close as he possibly could.

“That was a good stick, huh?”

Defy nodded. “Yeah! I found a real good one, huh? It was lots of fun!” Hit things real good, and smashed with a great sound and a super satisfying snap. He did a good job, and his grin and the sparkle in his black eyes showed it as he looked up at his favorite person in the whole world.

The things Daddy said next were kinda confusing, but he said ‘em while fussin’ over Defy and pettin’ him and giving him cuddles and attention, so he listened even if it didn’t make a whole lot of sense. Well, listened, but he had some follow-up questions of course. “But they’re sticks, though, Daddy. They’re dead, they’re not even part of trees no more, they fell off and crashed to the ground so we could play with ‘em. I ‘on’t think they’re happy or sad or nothin’, just sticks. You wan’ me to hit stuff with myself instead?” He tilted his head, not really getting where his daddy was goin’ with that.

Or with the rest either, really. He wasn’t s’posed to talk to girls? Well, he guessed that part was kinda okay, ‘cause if his sisters were any indication, all girls would do is steal his momma anyhow. And he didn’t wanna talk to no boys either, ‘cause that asshole at the playground had been enough trying that out, thanks. Everyone was pretty stupid and awful, so. He could just be with his daddy and his momma and take care of them.

“Okay, Daddy. I won’t talk to no girls. Or boys either, they’re assholes anyhow. I don’t need nobody anyhow, just you an’ Momma. You’re mine too, an’ we’re best buddies, huh? Forever an’ ever.” He nuzzled his daddy right back, bumping his little nose against Daddy’s chin and rubbing his face against Daddy’s. “We’ll take care of Momma and we’ll not leave her, an’ make her smile that happy love smile that makes her eyes all soft, an’--no, but why my sisters too? They’re icky, and they don’t like me, and they steal my Momma time. They got Uncle Zor to keep ‘em safe, they don’ need me like Momma does.”