• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Listen To Me Roar [Magnus]
    The queen was bound to Sylva for most of her pregnancy. She tried to get away as much as possible, but in the end she found herself too exhausted.

Having given birth, and leaving dearest Sabrina in the comfort of Sylva, she escapes for a moment of her own. Sinner had already visited Tephra, she did not hear bad things in return.

It was purely curiosity that brings her on her visit today, why was Tephra the only 'kingdom' chosen safe from the plague? She didn't fear the plague, just wondered what was so special about Tephra. 

She comes to a halt before the sooty filled kingdom, she may not care, but she was raised with kingdom customs. So with the manners instilled in her, she allows a whinny to escape her maw, and awaits a visit hopefully from Tephra's very own ruler.

@[magnus] I hope you don't mind! I wanted a thread with Magnus, figured this was the best :p

although this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
    we were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

Tephra receives enough visitors that it doesn’t surprise him to see another on the border.

She carries with her the same scent as the hellhound and his belly clenches slightly from it, that same feeling of distrust on the back of his tongue. There was nothing that Sinner had said to warrant it, nothing but the usual pleasantries and greetings, but Magnus had not gotten to this age without the ability to recognize danger when it was staring him in the face. The entire conversation had been held on the knife’s edge, and he would not forget it. He would not completely dismiss the familiar warning bells.

But he doesn’t completely hold it against the young mare on his border and he certainly doesn’t let it show on his features. Instead, his expression is friendly and neutral, his gold-flecked eyes warm as he makes his way through him toward her. When he gets closer, he dips his head in greeting, his lopsided smile pulling at the edges of his mouth. “Hello there.” He comes to a stop and studies her, taking in the lines of her face and committing them to memory. “My name is Magnus. How can I help you?”

magnus

@[Mary] - I don't mind at all! <3
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    The dapple mare did not wait long, moments after she calls out she is approached by a dashing stranger. She had never met him, but as he grows closer the scent of Tephra runs deep on his pelt.

Hello there, the stranger says with a smile, Mary returns one of her own with a small dip of her head. He comes to a halt before her, introducing himself as Magnus, inquiring about her visit. Magnus, she says his name aloud, repeating it a few times in her head.

My name is Mary, my King has already visited, but I was passing and figured I should introduce myself as well. It was a true statement, but what she left out was that she was bound to Sylva for most of her pregnancy. She was aching to explore, to meet new faces, to feel out the damage of the plague.

But Tephra was no average kingdom, granted safety from the disease. She wanted to know why, what did Tephra do, to be granted such a sanctuary. Her own kingdom did not have the same safety, the queen had been kissed by the plague, coughing abruptly and small patches of fur missing.

Is it safe to assume I am in the presence of Tephra's King? He held himself with an outstanding manner, one who had been raised for this. Or someone who had been very good in diplomatic affairs, he knew how to put on a poker face. The question was just to confirm small details, was she lucky enough to run into the ruler on her first visit?

@[magnus]

He certainly doesn’t get the same sense of unease around Mary that he had around Sinner, which is a relief, although Magnus doesn’t allow himself to relax completely. Growing up in the Amazons meant that he has never been one to underestimate women—regardless of how kind or sweet they may first appear—and he doesn’t underestimate Mary either. Instead he remains alert, interested how someone like her had found themselves tangled up with the likes of Sinner and the unsavory past of Sylva.

Still, he doesn’t ask such things yet or let his suspicions slip.

Instead he just gives a crooked grin. “You must mean Sinner.” Magnus has no way of knowing that the boy is actually his grandson—no way of knowing that the hellhound carries his own blood and perhaps he would understand better if he did. Brunhild always did inherit the darkest parts of him. Born from the depths of his anger and rage. Perhaps he wouldn’t be surprised to see how Sinner became that legacy.

“He was here not that long ago. It’s a pleasure to meet others from Sylva.”

When she asks about his own title, he laughs softly, the whiskey-laced sound natural and easy as he rolls a war-scarred shoulder. “I don’t often lead with my title, but I am Tephra’s current King.” It was a title that he wore easily, a crown that had long since settled on his brow. “Are you looking for something in particular today or were you simply looking to connect?” It was an easy question but he was interested regardless. Was she looking for information as Sinner had? Or was she genuinely interested in Tephra?

MAGNUS | I don't belong to anyone, but everybody knows my name

@[Mary]
    The visit Sinner made went well...or at least didn't go bad. It was probably odd that she randomly came out to visit, so close after Sinner's own visit. She couldn't pass up the opportunity though, seeing the kingdom in flesh and blood.

Magnus mentions Sinner, and she nods her head in response. So you remember , she thinks, but then again, can you really forget the hound?

She asks if he is the king, and he laughs before responding. Of course, in the end, he confirms her suspicions. Of course he was king, he seemed noble, he had manners and courtesy. She quickly glances over the well built stallion who is just a tad shorter than herself.

Alas he was done with the small chat, and inquires about her reason for a visit. A smile of her own tugs at her lips, most rulers offered a visit of there kingdom, but not Magnus. He was much more cautious than the others, and she could respect that.

I came for a few reasons she glances around, the peak of a volcano is visible off in the distance. I heard Tephra is not affected by the plague, I wanted to see it for myself. The kingdom spared by the faeries, but why? I am sure that Sinner briefly spoke to you about Sylva, but nothing to in debt? She leaves her last sentence as a question.

She did not get a full brief of there conversation, but she knew nothing came of it. Have you an alliance? Or will you remain a neutral land? She inquires the status of Tephra, should they have an alliance, who is it with, and can they offer more?

@[magnus]

Magnus has not always been described as cautious.

He has been called warmonger, reckless, impulsive. He has been tempted more than once by the bite of a poisonous apple—tempted to sink his teeth into the flesh of sin just to savor the taste of it. He has more blood on his hands than many people recognize; perhaps it is the kind smile or the white-knuckled grip he has managed to keep on himself all of these years. Few remember the boy that he was.

Few remember him as the soldier, as the man who led raids, as the man who took life.

Perhaps it is for the best. Perhaps all of that has helped build him into the King he is today. Perhaps it is exactly that time that enables him to sense something off within her hellhound King and his grandson. Still, he doesn’t dim his smile for her, even when she begins to sniff around the same things that had drawn her King forward. He just maintains a neutral expression, watching her carefully.

“We remain safe,” he says simply, not elaborating further. When she asks about their last encounter with Sinner, he tucks it away. How strange for her to not know the full details of what was discussed. How strange for the two monarchs to operate so independently of one another. But he doesn’t comment on it or even elude to his thoughts. He just nods, rolling a shoulder. “It was an abbreviated visit.”

She is more persistent than he would have guessed, and he finds that he can respect her for that. He can sense the steel beneath the pretty looks, the sharp mind, and he tucks that away for later too.

At the very least, Sinner did not pick his Queen unwisely.

“We remain allied with the East,” he offers. “Although most are these days.” Kagerus and Solace had certainly made sure of that, had certainly made sure to spread their influence far and wide.

“Is that why you are here? To discuss the possibility of an alliance?”

It was difficult to imagine, but Magnus had experienced odder things during his life.

@[Mary]

Mary

He was a man of few words and even fewer emotions. He was heard to read, the neutral glaze remained on his face. He said little about his kingdom, but that is to be expected of a kingdom granted safety of the plague. It couldn't be an odd wonder from those who wander into Tephra.

He did not give her any details on how the kingdom was spared, but that was a topic she could push for later.

She was persistent, and she knew what she wanted. She was less intimidating and just a bit more poltical with her words than her partner and king. They briefly touched on there kingdom visits, but drama within the southern sector had created more than desired. It left them with more diplomatic visits to the same kingdom then wanted, and less time to discuss in full details there separate visits.

Glad to hear Tephra is fairing well, she says with a genuine smile on her maw. He goes on to note that there kingdom is allied with the east and she can only wonder how close there ties are.

It is not secret the east is a "sanctuary" and one who guides away from any drama. Of course the previous king of Loess had intiated steals in the eastern sector, creating a possible hostility between her and the Tephran king.

He inquires if her visit was to discuss an alliance and her smile turns into a grin. I have heard good things about Tephra, and had to see it in person. An alliance couldn't be terrible, perhaps a better opportunity to slip into Ischia, to visit Ivar.

I must say Magnus, I do hope we get to be closer friends, she says with a smile as she draws closer to the gold king. I would be open to an alliance of sorts, she pauses momentarily if you are. Her gaze remains on his, attempting to read his gestures on his feelings of her proposal.

@[Magnus]
     Sorry this took so long! Figuring out the next move!

Long May She Reign

He cannot suppress the itch between his shoulder blades whenever he has such meetings with the people of Sylva. Perhaps it is a shadow of a feeling, rooted in the way the young mare had reacted to Lepis saying she was from the southern kingdom. Perhaps it is a distrust planted when Sinner had arrived, his feelings cloaked behind a poisonous smile. Perhaps it is just years of intuition and instinct.

Whatever it is, it keeps him from relaxing, keeps him from being the kind and warm stallion that so often greeted others at his border. It is the opposite of when he had met Heartfire here, when he had been able to be so direct and honest—when everything had been so openly laid out on the table before him.

He preferred to conduct kingdom business in such a manner, but Sylva does not allow it.

So he continues to keep his cards close to his chest, continues to play the game the best that he knows how—not meeting her with cruel words but remaining guarded. She is more than a pretty face, after all, and he knows better than most the ways of women looking to root out information.

“I hope that we live up to the good things that you’ve heard,” he says easily, casting his gaze around them before returning to hold her gaze. As she draws nearer to him, something sparks in his gold-flecked gaze, a curve of his handsome lip into a crooked smile. “I am a good friend to have, Mary,” his voice is husky as he watches her, wondering just how many stallions have fallen prey to her pretty smile. “But I am a worse enemy. You don’t want to have someone like me on the other side of the battleground.”

He doesn’t elaborate on it further, letting it speak for itself before he rolls his shoulders.

“I don’t make alliances easily, and I don’t make them blindly. I’d want to know exactly it is that I am tethering myself too, and I don’t have a clue as to the truth of what Sylva is and what you stand for.” Another pause as his eyes find hers, searching them. “Answer that for me and we’ll see.”

@[Mary]

Mary

Her eyes remain on Magnus as he speaks, he remains guarded and she can only wonder what created the hostility between them.

She watches as a grin appears on his maw, he speaks again, noting he was a good friend to have. Before she could respond he speaks again, this time announcing he was an even worse enemy to have.

Her gaze narrows in on him and a grin of her own tugs at her lips. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, a shallow laugh parts her lips. I think we will get along just fine Magnus, she responds daring to get closer, but she refrains.

He does not waste time getting into poltics, and Mary can appreciate it. He goes on curious about what exactly Sylva wants from Tephra. He was a wise man, and she could easily tell that. He would not be fooled, and she would not waste her time attempting it.

Well, for starters, lets say a truce. Sylva wont steal or challenge any Tephran members. Unless it is friendly, and vice versa. She pauses, the next part would be the hard part, the bigger stakes. What I would really like is to be able to call on Tephra should we ever be in need, as Sylva would help you in need. It is just Sylva, not Loess nor the Pampas. She ensures to make it known that this deal is for her territory only, the superior one anyway. You can come visit Sylva if you'd like, should it calm any fears you have. Her gaze was now calmed and gentle, she attempts to read his body signals awaiting an answer from the golden king.

Long May She Reign

@[Magnus]

They continue their dance, and he isn’t sure whether he grows accustomed to the rhythm of it or it exhausts him. Perhaps it is both, but he relaxes at least marginally—content to know that she does not intend to cause immediate harm. Perhaps long-term harm—she struck him as the type to let the poison simmer instead of sliding a knife between the ribs—but it wasn’t anything he couldn’t handle.

So he gives her a slightly warmer smile, the corners of it roguish.

“I am willing to agree to a truce,” he is thoughtful for a second, mulling it over as his eyes drift to the rest of the land unfolding around him. When he returns his gaze to her, he holds onto it, unblinking as he searches the depths of it. “But I consider that a firm line. Break the truce, and there will be no going back.” Another quirk it scarred lips into a crooked smile. “Anyone from Sylva breaks the truce.”

But he eases up again, rolling his shoulders and feeling the warmth of the sun radiate down on them. “We will see about expanding it into anything further. I would very much like to take you up on your offer to see your kingdom for itself.” He grins. “But make no mistake, Mary, I am not afraid.”

He had felt death in his throat. He had felt war pulse around him. He knew the very depths of his nightmares. He was wary and guarded around the autumn kingdom, but it was not fear around his throat that kept him from acting and nothing would goad him into action quicker than he wanted.

“I have,” he thinks on it for a second, “enjoyed your company, Mary. Should you ever be interested in taking your considerable talents for politics elsewhere, I know of a place that would appreciate them.”

@[Mary]