• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

we ain't never getting older. [magnus]

I watch the curve of his smile as it lifts the corner of his mouth. I wonder how many others have been on the receiving end of that smile. I’m staring again. I refocus to meet his eyes and surely the grey of mine lightens by a few shades at the glint of mischievousness that I find there. Any irritation I may have felt when I’d crossed that lava stream disappears, stolen away by the boyish charm that colors the jest of his sarcastic answer. I roll my eyes in jest at his response, my nose wrinkling in a mixture of disgust and soft laughter. The sound seems strange. I shake my head a bit, clearing the odd feeling away, absently flicking the once bone-white end of my tail.

When I look back, his expression is different, not nearly as playful. Serious, even, but yet something inside me trills with pleasure at his next words. He is glad I came? I am careful not to show my delight, schooling my features into something I imagine is unreadable. At least, I hope it is. I suddenly realize that I came here not knowing whether he was like them, the ancient relatives I have come to know as father and brother. He is the one staring now, with a different sort of regard, one I cannot quite suss out. I frown, tilting my head. Was he reading my thoughts just now? Quickly, I sort through the web of my most recent contemplations for anything he might use against me.

His gaze drops away, though, and I realize I’ve been holding my breath. "I’m not infected," I blurt, ears turning back and then forward, defiance sharpening my gaze. “At least, I don’t think I am. Set would know, would’ve found me and healed me.” This last I say more to myself, mumbling as he looks away. And I wonder if it’s true.

“I suppose if I am going to live here,” I shift, nudging his shoulder with my nose, “I should learn the lay of the land.” His rich musk mingles with the humid air and it clings to the soft part of my muzzle. It takes a decided measure of self-control to withdraw my touch from his golden hide. Power and strength I am familiar with, but there is something different about him. Were I better acquainted with the quality, I would recognize it as his innate goodness; and were I a kinder creature, I would leave his life immediately upon such a conclusion. In an attempt to disguise my sudden unnerving and thrumming heart, I move away and ahead of him. I glance back over my shoulder with an easy smile. “Tell me about yourself, Magnus.”

Messages In This Thread
    RE: we ain't never getting older. [magnus] - by Salomea - 11-23-2018, 06:00 PM