• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I praise the Lord, then break the Law || Brennen, Any ||

WOLFBANE

Flying due east, Wolfbane can almost physically feel the change of temperature and with it, he knows spring is beginning to bloom. Wondering where time goes, he simply revels in the sensation of finally going farther than the common grounds. He’d been confined by duty, and the news of his mother’s passing some months ago was the hardening of the cement that seemed to be his life these days. Tephra and her childhood memories were gone, he and his family were no longer a household name there.

Still, Bane can’t help but soar in an unnecessary arc toward the Volcano, wanting (yet refraining) to dive between her smoky plumes of ash and heat. If he had the free will, perhaps even the energy of a year ago he might’ve, but tensions run too high these days, and those who normally would’ve seen him as he was - a young pegasus, a growing individual - serve only to see him as a threat because of his title.

Instead he loops away, pushing emotions and a life already lived clear of his mind. By the time the sparse clouds of Tephra have disappeared to reveal the picturesque shores of Ischia, Wolfbane is in high spirits again. A goal centers his thoughts and steadies his reserve, guiding him with austere causality down to the bright stretches of crystalline sand, and he lands with an unusually graceful trot. Steadying to a halt, olive eyes and wild, golden ears trained to the inner depths of her exotic forests, the Lord of Loess calls out for some island company.

|| The Pirate Lord of Loess ||

@[Brennen]
    [Image: Wolfbane2.png][Image: 3bCHvj.png]

Leilan
    a dragon who couldn't be hurt on the outside
    could have so many ragged holes inside
    The Ischian sands are already hot under his hooves; whether his newly-found adjustment to cold produced a relative unease to heat or if it's the spring sun being a little bright today, the scaled roan can't say. But he sets hoof on the sand while he's wet still, so it's bearable - he just makes a beeline for a more shady space, east because the sun has already passed midday. But while he contemplates if the Ischian jungle is better than the beach today for a meeting, there is a familiar call that he can't exactly place yet, and he follows the sound and scent of a Loessian - Wolfbane.

He seems cheerful - Leilan's also cheerful, greeting the younger ruler with a bright set of teeth. "I see you've found the sea's best hiding place. I honestly feel like you and Arthas should both have visited a long time ago." he opens with, eyes brightly turquoise in amusement. "But you've probably come to see Brennen?"
    HTML by Vanilla Custard, picture by x-celebri-x on deviantart

@[Brennen] @[Wolfbane] because reasons, and he's already literally everywhere already so I'll fit it into the timeline. Somewhere. I hope.
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    I recognize him even from a distance, and correct my course so that my wings carry me to the shore where Wolfbane lands rather than the more southern border I’d intended to land on. My own landing is less graceful - I’m unfamiliar with the physics of sand beneath my hooves. Still, I gather myself easily, tucking my golden wings more tightly to my sides while never losing the stoic expression that adorns my navy face.

I wear it for the stranger, a silvery creature that is greeting Wolfbane as though he knows him. Rather then interrupt their reunion I keep a comfortable distance for a moment - enough to indicate that I’m waiting but not enough to press either of them for immediate recognition. When the greetings are over I step closer, flicking blue grey eyes from one stallion to the other. Closer now, I realize that I do know the bay stallion after all. Leilan, I think it is?

He’d visited Loess some time back, asking rather probing questions about Arthas. So he is from Ischia - that would explain it. My dappled husband has always been a bit particular about the tropical island, for reasons that I support (like a good wife) but have never really understood. Next I look at Wolfbane, and despite the rapport between us there is some hesitance in my storm-colored gaze. Our last interaction had not been the smoothest, but I am more than ready to put it behind us.

“Hello Wolfbane, Leilan.” I say to them, my navy ears flicking forward at the roan’s last words. “I’m here to speak with Brennen, so perhaps he can kill two birds with one stone - Loess and Sylva.” The irony in my word choice is not accidental, but I do raise a curious brow as I wait for a response.

@[Brennen]
    @[Leilan]
    @[Wolfbane]
    He knows when someone new arrives. There’s ripples across the structure of Ischia, a presence that isn’t any of his current people. Unthreatening, for the moment, when he gives the little presence a nudge, but it’s enough to pique his curiosity. The bay stallion is in his family’s cove on the other side of the island, and he glances at the bright sky overhead before extending his wings and lifting himself quickly into the air. The fastest way to get to the stranger would be, of course, simply to magic himself there; but he finds that use of magic when his wings will do the trick in a perfectly reasonable amount of time ostentatious and unnecessary. High overhead it takes him only a moment to reach the other side, and in that time the senses ping another arrival, and he’s glad he’s already decided to come this direction. The sound of much smaller wings alerts him to feathered friends who have joined him in the air, frolicking in the quiet air created by his much bigger form.

The bay lands a polite distance away, humming contentedly at the warm sand on his hooves. Two of the parrots wing away into the trees, but a medium-sized green bird finds a perch at the base of his neck, toes tangling in his black mane. Keen ears catch the exchange of words as the three - not two – of them come together. Two strangers and one very familiar face, which is why he didn’t ping as a stranger. Brennen gives a quick shake of his own dark wings, twitching them into their proper place folded at his sides, takes an unhurried moment to preen a couple carefully into submission before he walks forward to join the gathering, bright eyes flicking from face to face. He has a quiet little smile for Leilan, before turning a solemn gaze on the others.

The stallion, Wolfbane, has plumage almost as bright as Brennen’s parrot friend, who even now is chattering away quietly atop him, some phrases clearly understandable ( ‘stranger’, ‘stranger’, ‘brother’) and others just birdspeak. The mare, Lepis, is beautiful in a more understated way, with her creams and blue. They know each other, it is clear, but he’s uncertain in what capacity; though certainly he is aware that there is some sort of relationship between Loess and Sylva, what with Sylva’s new King being just recently of Loess. But neither of them is Arthas, and he makes a conscious decisions not to hold their association with the gray against them. “Welcome to Ischia,” he says mildly. “I’m Brennen.”

@[Wolfbane] @[Lepis] @[Leilan] here ya go kids I dunno what this is but it's a gift for you

WOLFBANE

Much like Lepis, Wolfbane doesn’t recognize the scaled horse that materializes soon from a distance and closes in on his position. Only when the roan comes close does he perform a double-take, gaze visibly narrowing and then widening again. “Imagine if we did what everyone thought we should.” He laughs, humored to come across the once-captive. “You’ve been busy…” The pegasus chimes, just before the flicker of a dark shape above them catches his eye.

Happily surprised to see his Cleric, Bane doesn’t withhold an earnest smile from warming up his cautious expression. Their past transgressions were already long forgotten. He considers himself a forward-thinking individual, often irritated by the idea that most would linger on moments gone from the present forever. It was always the future he concerned himself with, and this particular visit dealt with that uncertain future for both their respective kingdoms.

He’s intensely glad Lepis is here.

She’s deft at summing up the reason for their dual appearance, getting a nod out of Bane when she mentions Brennen and then, as if made of magic herself, summons him from the confines of Ischia’s temperate landscape. Amused, the young leader eyes the brown-tinged-black horse with an air of total vacancy, noting the arranged parrot and the unhurried manner in which he approached them. He could see, instantly, why Arthas might contest himself against such a character; their temperaments both ranged in the area of wizened elder status. Leilan receives a smile while himself and Lepis are left to savor the void indifference of a polite introduction, and Wolfbane fashions a toothy grin.

“Finally, we meet.” He spouts, ears flicking towards the bay, “I’m Wolfbane of Loess.”

Gently he inclines his head, offering a brief interlude so that lepis might tailor her own introduction before forging on. “I was a child and tucked away in Tephra when Modicum razed terror on Beqanna, but his efforts haven’t been forgotten; you reminded us this with your recent appearance in Sylva.” The odd stallion explains, easing into his ultierior point. “As new allies to this region and granted the ability to command Loess and her people, I find it necessary, nay dutiful, to aid in bringing such injustice to light.” He concludes.

“My troupe consists of a mare capable enough to question the lingering inhabitants of Sylva from her previous years. If one among them either knows about or aided in the senseless murder of your daughters and Krone, rest assured Kaurma will persuade them towards an honest confession.” The drake clarifies, eyes flickering between King Brennen and his comrade, transformed Leilan. Content to pause here, (should Lepis choose to add in) Wolfbane eases peacefully into a restful stance for the ensuing responses.

@[Brennen] @[Leilan] @[Lepis]

Leilan
    At his approach, he hadn't truly expected for Wolfbane to recognize him; that young man had only had eyes for Arthas, for the short while Leilan was still held prisoner (more like prisoner of boredom, but all right) in Loess. He'd walked out of the place without too much trouble however, and that whole joke of a steal honestly wasn't something he'd ever hold the young man before him accountable for. He rightly couldn't have, but he also had never been bothered by the striped colt. Stallion now, he corrects himself.

Still, it's kind of funny. He's not changed colour - only the material has changed, and some seem to see right through it, while others seem to back away at the idea of a shimmer, and so he must be some weird scaly creature while in fact, he's still himself. Nothing too much changed... although, perhaps the grin he flashes at the fanged male is entirely too pointy-toothed. His sentence of 'you should have' has become in Bane's mind 'would have' but honestly, the gold-tinged stallion doesn't correct him, and laughs instead. "Boooring." He has to ignore the other remark, as the fanged boy looks up at Brennen's shadow.

The following shake of his head makes him lay eye on Lepis. She'd been entirely too much of a stiff prick when he met her, but he supposes a lot of diplomats come off that way. And round - not any more, though, and the smell she carries doesn't seem to be particularly Loessian anymore. So perhaps she's not that stiff right now. He nods at her politely, and scoffs at her remark of killing two birds in one stone. Not exactly funny, but a way of letting her know her intended, honestly pretty bad, pun had not gone unnoticed. Well, at least she tried, he supposes. She can't have had a lot of practise.

As Brennen walks over, it seems he is being favoured. Well to be honest Brennen is his leader and friend so it's not too weird. However, he raises a brow at the parrot, screaming words into the conversation. Leilan contemplates leaving the winged bay alone with these two, but that would make the conversation two on one (even though Brennen has friggin' water magic so basically nobody is a match); for keeping up appearances, now he has to stay. Isn't that just great.

He really hates politics.

Not that he doesn't understand the rules, he's supposed to stay and welcome them and all; he finds the long speech that Wolfbane offers incredibly boring altogether. It's an offer, but it's from Loess, and they all know (Lepis had told him that so nicely once before) that there will be strings attached. He hardly listens to the majority of it - sure, it's probably a good tactic to first offer something the other wants to have - but he doesn't actually think it'll be worth the prize since Bane doesn't name one, so why bother? To be honest, he's only here because he didn't really want the man (or the woman who'd joined them) to go wander about the island on his own.

@[Brennen] @[Wolfbane] @[Lepis] as you can see he's not actually here to negotiate. so if you accidentally skip him that's fine.
    |
    The roan stallion had not looked quite so reptilian when we had last met, and as we wait for the long-winged bay (who must surely be Brennen) to join us, I allow my blue-grey eyes to flick curiously across the new texture of his hide. My attention catches on the sharp-toothed smile he flashes to Wolfbane and a flicker of memory emerges at the sight, one that I make note to dwell on later. This is not the time.

I consider, for just a moment, the repercussions were I to respond to Leilan's scoff in kind.

Tempting. Very tempting, but the cost is too high. My last run-in with Hyaline is still fresh in my mind. So rather than offering to make Leilan's emotional reaction to our conversation something  more than boring I instead offer him the blandest smile I can muster (fitting squarely into his stereotype of me), and  glance over at Brennen, who I'd greeted politely upon his arrival.

"Arthas and I intended to conduct our own questioning into the disappearance." I add, the declaration making it clear that I have as much say in the autumnal kingdom as the dappled king they are all used to dealing with. I consider sharing more, but so much of what Wolfbane says has already encompassed our intentions.

"We plan on restoring Sylva's reputation in Beqanna; I've no intention of letting the place continue to fester. I came here personally to make sure that the forest doesn't suffer for the transgressions of her previous rulers." Here I hold Brennen's eye, knowing all to well the circumstances of his last interaction with a Sylva monarch. My husband is not the most diplomatic fellow, but I know that he means well.

@[Wolfbane]
    @[Leilan]
    @[Brennen]
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    There’s tension between the others; not a lot, but enough to make him aware. He glances at Leilan again, curious, but doesn’t say anything about it at this point, choosing to let his younger companion’s presence stand on its own. Not for the first time, Leilan reminds him of a young Nihlus, and don’t let it be said that he didn’t  learn from association with his strange rain-maker friend. He’d rather Leilan not antagonize their visitors overmuch (at least not before he decides how he himself feels about them), but he learned a long time ago not to censure anyone in the presence of others unless absolutely necessary.

He meets the effervescent Wolfbane’s eyes over the boy’s toothy smile and settles in to listen, briefly turning to Lepis to give her a respectful nod when she introduces herself. The leader of Loess has much to offer in the way of reassurance and promises, but Brennen isn’t quite inclined to give him the full benefit of the doubt yet – they are too much strangers, with little to bond them. Lepis, in her turn, adds promises on behalf of Sylva that clash quite harshly with the impressions he got from Arthas. Her mate? Her co-ruler? Brennen isn’t sure.

“I am glad that Loess does not condone the actions of Sylva’s past,” The bay answers Wolfbane first, his words carefully chosen. “But I’m afraid I’m a little lost.” Honey-brown eyes drift to meet Lepis’, and there is the slightest of frowns on his face. “You say that you intend to look into this matter as well, but your co-ruler implied quite the opposite. In fact, Arthas didn’t inspire any confidence in me that he cared about what happened to innocents at the hands of Sylvans at all, much less that he intended to look into it.” The two rulers standing with him in the warm sand seem very reasonable, he’s inclined to like them even, but every one of his interactions with Arthas have left a bad taste in his mouth.

He shifts, shuffles his wings slightly, glances up at the bright blue sky for a moment before bringing his eyes back down to Lepis and Wolfbane with a hint of a sigh that holds more emotion than his flat gaze and steady voice could ever have hinted. “As I told Arthas, I have no intention of holding the sins of Sylva and her leaders against the Kingdom now, as long as your people do not continue to commit the same crimes. But as I also told him, if I learn the identity of those who harmed my daughters, or Krone for that matter, allegiance to any Kingdom won’t help them.” A pause, deep; “Perhaps it is better if I do not find out unless someone else has already enacted justice, with a fairer hand.” Something flickers deep in his face that indicates he would not be interested in fair, right now. Perhaps not ever.

“What is the relationship between Loess and Sylva, that you can make these promises regarding Sylva’s residents? What relationship are you seeking with Ischia?” He asks of Wolfbane. And then to Lepis, even as he kicks himself for not bringing Ischia’s little lie detector to this meeting. He reaches across his net, locates his grandson but doesn’t act any further yet other than pulsing a little bit down the bond, making the young stallion aware. He doesn’t want to yank Grye from wherever he is to the beach unless he needs to: “And you speak very different things than Arthas expressed. How do I know what is the truth?”

hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

@[Wolfbane] @[Lepis] @[Leilan]

WOLFBANE

Leilan … despite the time passed and new accessories very little has changed about the intrusive, somewhat overbearing roan. Bane himself is more than content to let him fall silent beside his King, Brennen, in favor of more important matters like Arthas, and how the bay pegasus seems wary to be confronted by two eager well-to-do’s when their gray counterpart voiced opposing ideas. Glancing aside to Lepis, Wolfbane understands the initial hesitancy on Ischia’s behalf - why trust animosity? Why trust at all? - but he knows that personal affection for both his Cleric and his strongest ally won’t overshadow reason or peace.

Surely Brennen could see it as well.

The islander isn’t looking at them at all, though, when Wolfbane turns his attention back towards the ruler. Instead he’s searching the clear skies for an answer, but his voice returns as soon as his contemplation has ended. “The sins of our past are only burdened on the shoulders of those who remain.” Bane thinks, memories of his own father’s murder flashing to the forefront of his mind while he notices the turn of emotion on the usually stoic, mahogany face he’s staring at. Perhaps he can’t assume to know what Brennen has faced, but he certainly can understand the residual feelings such experiences leave. Scars, riddled on hearts trying to see the good and wealth in a world turned dark and poor.

“You might as well consider us one kingdom in entirety.” Bane chirps, ready to confront the question lingering on outsider’s minds. “Arthas is like a father to me, despite our obvious differences. Lepis herself has been a Loessian since birth, and she will continue to be a source of infallible support as both my ‘Adviser’ and Sylva’s Queen.” He smiles, glancing once more to the navy-tinged mare. “I suppose we’re almost a triumvirate of sorts. A three-in-one system of checks and balances.”

It’s the first time he’s considered such a thing, but to him it makes sense. Lepis was free to disagree (she was free to voice herself as she’d always been around Bane) and the idea wasn’t so far off-course from the allied powers and their relationships with one another. “As for Loess’s relationship with Ischia, I propose this: my ranked members need training. I was told so by a fairy, no less, and I don’t intend to take a suggestion like that lightly. We’ll conduct the interrogations and afterwards will agree to a year-long stasis of challenges or steals against your Island, expecting the same in return. I would, however, appreciate the opportunity to have my members able to mock with the renowned brotherhood.” He finally ends, on a grin.

@[Brennen] @[Lepis] @[Leilan] I tried to just tie it up quickly so Lepis could pick up where Bane left off! Sorry for the wait.

Leilan
    As Bane speaks about the ‘trio’ that is leading Loess and Sylva as one kingdom, he raises his brows only slightly, wondering if Arthas thought the same. But what intrigues him more is that Bane affectionally calls him almost his father, and it makes the roan wonder about the striped pegasus’ biological sire. Had he died or, never known his child? But only a moment - apparently Bane doesn’t or didn’t have much of a relationship with his sire, for Arthas to have stepped into that role so easily.

But enough of that; there’s a proposal to align with Ischia for a year, and they will conduct interrogations within Sylva, asking after Brennen’s lost daughters. But he hears a lack of something in Bane’s words, a lack of a promise made. And it makes him snort, because he doesn’t think that Ischia has as much to gain from mocks with Loessians as much as the other way around (they have one another for that, here). ”Obviously we’d have to take your word for it if you claim you found nothing or say you’ve already punished those wrongdoers that you found.” He chimes in, giving his distant blood relative a questioning look. Sure there’s nothing wrong with the truce otherwise, but while it lasted, they could also just ask those questions themselves, and see if they wanted to make a second deal on prisoners or whatnot. Really all the Ischians needed to do was to ask Jesper who lived in Sylva back then and compare a list of names. They had no need of mercanaries to do it ‘anonimously’ for them - they could get their hands dirty and it would be totally justified. ”I just don’t see much of a benefit in this proposal, for Ischia. The only thing we get out of it is a cease-fire, which works both ways but mostly yours as far as I can tell.” he settles with a shrug. Come on, kid. You can do better.

@[Lepis] your turn I think. I hope Sylva has something to offer xP
    |