• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'd Like To Meet You All [Any]
    During the short amount of time that Nalia had spent in Nerine since Ardashir brought her here, she stayed away from the other horses at first. It wasn't that she was shy, but Nalia's upbringing had taught her to always have an escape route. Or at least a hiding place, of which there were plenty in Nerine she was sure. But for all the filly knew, some of the hiding spots she found could be known by others, so she did her best to find a myriad of them in case she needed a plan B.

After some time spent searching, along with exploring Nerine's wonders and seeing the beauty the land held, the filly felt confident enough to try and get to know some of the other members of the kingdom. It took a while to build up her confidence enough to try and get close to them when she saw another horse grazing, or down by the river or ocean, but every time she got within speaking distance, the filly chickened out and fled the scene.

Every time she did, the process repeating, the filly berated her lack of social skills when it came to making the first move. She was fine once she got to talking, but she always worried that she'd be met with an abrasive reaction if she tried to approach. If there was one thing she didn't like, it was the way some horses treated her negatively when she tried to be their friend. With mares and foals, it made sense; they were protecting their young. But other adults that had no foals to protect, who could just be plain rude, she just didn't like it. She wanted to be friends with others, but not if they'd treat her so negatively.

One bright, sunny morning, shortly into the arrival of summer, the filly made her way out into Nerine's open meadows where she could be easily seen, and spot others in return. Right now, it didn't see like anyone was here, but that didn't bother her. The filly cantered through the meadow for a few strides to stretch out her legs, flapping her wings and kicking up her hind legs to exert some excitement.

After settling down, the filly, content to graze, lowered her sculpted head and picked at the grass, her tapered muzzle brushing over the long blades as she swallowed a few mouthfuls to sate her hunger.

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

Well, if you're looking for the most abrasive, rude-mannered and sharp-tongued mare that resided in Nerine, you've found her. And indeed, she looked it too: bald and scarred and ugly, with the carriage of a veteran and the eyes of a seasoned mother; to those who didn't know her, Scorch looked as unapproachable as a pile of dung that had been set on fire. Perhaps that's why, as she stood atop a nearby crest, the filly who cavorted about in the meadow below looked so unfamiliar.

Her myriad of hiding spots had done her well; Ardashir's little recruit had remained completely elusive during her short stay here. But today! Oh-ho, today Scorch had other plans for her - if only she could read the filly's mind and see that her kind of company was the exact opposite of what she wished to attract today.

Actually, scratch that; if Scorch had been a mind reader, she would have approached all the more quickly, and in her burliest, most irritating mood. She would have found it pretty hilarious; but when you're older than the literal country you reside in and can no longer count that scars on your hideous body, most things must be funny, or else life stops being worth living.

Luckily for little Nalia, Scorch wasn't actually a bitch - well, not always, or at least, it had been rumored that she could play nice. Second-in-commands ought to be nice, right?

Ah, the irony.

"You there!" Her voice rang out powerfully into the meadow, followed shortly by her corporeal form as she cantered down her hill until she stood right in front of the grulla, stopping her directly in her tracks as she gallivanted about. "Who gave you permission to dance about?" She spoke with an undeniable authority, the red-yellow of her eyes looking as if they could really reach out and burn the girl - but in the next moment, her hard expression completely changed.

Left in its place was a humorous smile, and a weight transfer to one hip. "I'm joking." A parade of deep-chested chuckles followed the allowance. "I'm Scorch, you might have heard of me. But I," and here she paused, making a show of giving the girl a thorough and judgmental once-over, "Have not heard of you."

Scorch

Once Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

@[Nalia] heh
    [Image: scorch2.png]
    Well, Nalia got what she asked for. She just didn't know that it would be such a spectacle. Shortly after the young filly ceased her elaborate dancing in the meadow, a loud voice rang out, causing Nalia's head to shoot up like she had been stung by a bee. Her eyes darted to where the voice had come from, seeing another horse there, one that was taller than her from what the filly could tell.

Quick as lightning the other horse cantered down the hill toward Nalia, and the filly, though not frightened, was definitely startled. She turned and began to trot away, but the other horse, a mare now that she was closer, got in between Nalia and the meadow edge. She questioned Nalia's actions of dancing like a fool, wondering who allowed her to perform such a display.

Slightly put off, Nalia stomped one of her front hooves and snaked her head, her mane flipping from one side of her slim neck to the other. She was fully ready to show this mare she was more than capable of standing up for herself, but than, like flipping a switch, the mare's face lightened and her lips turned upwards into a friendly smile. Her stance relaxed so it was more of a horse relaxing, napping, in the field, rather than the tense posture of some horse who wanted to strike her down given the first chance.

As everything calmed, Nalia allowed herself a moment to take in the mare's appearance. She looked normal, save for the fact it seemed how her fur had been singed clear off her body. It wasn't an ugly sight to look at, unusual, yes, but Nalia wasn't really affected. Why should she be? She was the one with a pair of bird wings on her back, she'd be a hypocrite to say the mare called Scorch was unusual.

Scorch went on to say that she had not yet heard of Nalia. That didn't surprise the filly either; she had spent the good first portion of her time here in Nerine establishing those hiding spots after all. She wanted to make friends, even if she'd been shy at first. And, well, this was the first step. Nalia smiled back at Scorch, her hazel eyes bright as she spoke, "Well, there's a reason for that, but it's good to meet you Scorch. I'm Nalia; Ardashir brought me here a short time ago."

@[Scorch]
    Well, if you thought that Scorch didn't enjoy a good spectacle now and then, you're wrong! And you clearly have not been stalking her enough. But ah, suffice to say, if there was one thing that Scorch did truly love, it was being a drama queen. (Well, okay, what she DID truly love was her family (namely her husband and her children) but for the sake of a lighthearted thread amidst a cacaphony of melancholy and angst, she did truly love being a drama queen).

The girl (small, and obviously young) made a good show of stomping her hoof and snaking her neck, causing Scorch to cock a brow curiously at such antics. She was impressed, actually, that this little child would dare to show such resistance to one clearly in a position of authority; it reminded Scorch of herself at the very same age. And if history showed anything, head-strong women were exactly what fueled the Amazons. Or as they were called these days, the Leviathans.

Still, the girl - after a moment's consideration and examination of Scorch - managed to relax herself, smiling gently with large and likeable hazel eyes.Thank the Gods that she's not like Lagertha, Scorch thought idly to herself. If I'd pulled this stunt on her, we would have had a life long feud. Oh, wait. That's exactly what happened. Perking what remained of her charred ears, Scorch listened to... Nalia? To Nalia's answer.

"Well!" She exclaimed heartily. "I am glad to hear that Ardashir is settling into his role of Champion." It had not been too long ago that that alabaster stag had approached the Dosh, begging advice of her as he struggled with understanding his new role within the mostly-women run kingdom. Scorch bobbed her head in approval before settling once more. "And so tell me, what is your reason? And what is your reason for presenting yourself today, if there is one at all?" The mare paused, but then, offered a smile. "I am not prying; I am the Dosh in this kingdom, or, the Queen's most trusted advisor. It is my duty to arrange our members, and to know what there is to know in the going-ons of this place."
    Scorch took a moment to praise Ardashir's efforts, something that made Nalia curious. It was quite literally the stallion's job to go out to places like the Field and recruit potential candidates for the kingdom of Nerine? Well, she was a bit surprised with that, considering the only displays she'd ever seen were stallions brutally fighting over a mare to take to their herd. Nalia herself had gotten caught up in such a display when her dam, at the time when Nalia was barely over two months of age, found herself the trophy between the stallion that ran her herd, and another band rival who sought to go after the pretty black mare.

At the time, the then-young filly didn't quite understand such antics until her dam explained it when she weaned her daughter. She put it lightly, saying stallions fought each other in that manner to claim mares to continue having foals to pass on their bloodline. Nalia had questioned several words of that explanation, mainly 'bloodline', but after some time, it made sense to her young mind. She also asked her dam if that would be her job one day, to which her dam said it would be her choice when she got old enough.

Now, at the age, Nalia hadn't put any mind to it, mostly because she always got away from the stallion before he got near. She just got odd feelings around most of them, and her gut told her to escape. But Ardashir had been different, something about him drew Nalia to him.

Now she understood why he'd been given his position as... Champion, was the word Scorch had used, though that hardly seemed like the right fit since Nalia had heard that word in a different context.

Scorch went on to question Nalia's urge to suddenly appear today, why not before during the time she'd been seeking hideaways in Nerine. The filly tilted her head in thought for a moment before glancing back at Scorch.

"Well, I think it's because I got bored. Ardashir told me there were some interesting horses here, and I wanted to see if I could make any new friends. That, and to see if any of you were as unusual as me," she stated with a flutter of her wings. Nalia was truly unique in that she'd been the only one of her kind in her homeland. However far back the trait that carried the wings went, Nalia had been the one in her family to inherit them. Wherever the gene came from was unknown, all she knew was she was a black sheep among the herd, and for some reason she felt better being around others who had a uniqueness to them like she did.

@[Scorch]
    Ardashir
    The ivory champion had done a disappearing act again. What a thing to do after leading a lady to Nerine showing her a good time on the beach and, then just ghost her. Leaving her even as the autumn months creeped on them and the possibility of an interloper coming in to take advantage of a lady. Well, he might not have ghosted completely. The pale stag was always slipping in and out from time to time it seemed.

The months got colder and the waters started to ripple with that smoky look. Ard never ventured into the ocean in fall or winter. It might have been a silly little fear but, he had not about to change it now. So, he kept closer to the inland and closer to his hiding place amongst the pine trees and the granite stone. He did not know why he sealed himself off in the cold months only to start exploring again in the spring.

So, he was wondering today when scents came to his pink nostrils. The stallion picked up his slow pace a bit. Ardashir knew he would run into as he grew closer and upon seeing the painted mare Nalia, and The Dosh Scorch he offered a welcoming call. Greetings Nalia, and to you as well Scorch.” The alabaster stag tossed his head a little to get hair out of his face.

He was still sporting that bearded appearance from spring and summer. He had overhead the last of the pairs conversation and spoke to Nalia first, I am sorry for pulling another disappearing act. I had promised you a tour of the caves that I can still access. I must kindly ask we wait until spring to swim again but, the ones that do not require a swim I can take you to.”

He then turned his attention to Scorch his blue eyes looking to the hairless mare. It would seem either you or I tend to be the welcoming party around here.” A chuckle passed his lips.  

The blue in an ocean of gray..

I hope you do not mind me poking my nose in.
    @[Nalia] @[Scorch]
    You’ve mistaken the stars reflected on the surface of the lake at night for the heavens.
    Just as Nalia finished answering Scorch's question, the sound of approaching hooffalls befell their ears. With a flance to the filly, Scorch turn her head to see who came, and smiled bemusedly when she saw it was Ardashir. "Speak of the devil," she muttered under her breath, a smile stretching her charred lips. As the great white stag came alongside the two smaller mares, Scorch reached out to press her muzzle into his well-muscled shoulder.

"Sister."

Straightening, Scorch allowed Ardashir to take the main focus of the conversation, figuring that he might have a bit more in depth answer than she could hope to offer up herself. It had been some time since she had to entertain a child, what with Philomena having chosen Tephra as the kingdom to guide her through young adulthood; but Nalia seemed nearly on the cusp of womanhood herself, so Scorch didn't allow herself to become completely dissociated from the triangular conversation.

Ardashir turned towards her with a laugh, drawing a comparison between them. "It would seem so," Scorch allowed, grinning. "It is good to see you falling into your role here, my friend. Your disappearance is not that; for you are here now." She lowered her head in polite deference to the champion, the words of doubt he'd spoken to her some months before still fresh in her mind. He'd come far already, and she was sure he would come further still.

Yet sporting a pleasant expression, Scorch turned back to Nalia, addressing her last comment in her charred voice. "If you're looking for uniqueness, you've come to the right place. Beqanna has more magic to offer than I think you yet understand; but stick around long enough and said magic will find you when you least expect it. That's just how things go around here."

Pausing, the mare decided to open up a final thread of conversation, figuring that she'd soon be cut out of the group due either to other plans or because these two seemed to have a decent chemistry all on their own. "And I must ask - are you interested at all in joining a caste? We have war and peace, which I hope Ardashir mentioned in his recruiting of you."
    "Speak of the devil."

At first, since the wind was blowing against Nalia and she didn't pick up Ardashir's approaching scent, the filly had no idea who Scorch was referring to. Not until she turned her head anyways, considering the mare's attention was focused on whatever was behind her. Her hazel eyes immediately drawn to Ardashir's bright white coat and tall form, the filly's lips curled up into a bright smile. The stallion called out to the two younger ones before coming to a stop at their side, verbally greeting both with a hello before focusing his attention on the filly.

Nalia tilted her head, curious as to what he had to say. Her eyes were drawn to the bearded fur on his chin, something she found rather cute, as well as... attractive, was that the right word? Nalia still didn't know that much about the concepts of love or anything beyond the love one had for a family member. So whatever this bubbling was in her chest whenever Ardashir was around, she didn't quite understand it yet.

Ardashir took his time to apologize to Nalia for pulling what he deemed a 'disappearing' act. Stating that he'd regretted not fulfilling his promise of giving her a cave tour, and that another swimming adventure to see some of the more obscure ones would have to wait until spring, Nalia shook her head, a smirk taking place of the smile.

"Ardashir," she began, giving his shoulder a gentle touch with her wing, "I'm not mad, so you don't have to apologize for anything. I've kept myself plenty busy exploring the higher parts of Nerine, and a couple small caves here and there. I know you're busy. I may not know the complete ins and outs of your job," she said with a small laugh, remembering Scorch's words, "But I know it's important or they wouldn't have entrusted it to you. So don't worry, I'm sure you'll find time to take me on those tours one of these days." Her eyes glistened as she looked up at him, still slightly surprised by how much taller the stallion was than her.

Ardashir then turned his attention to Scorch, making a light-hearted joke about how it always seemed to be the two of them welcoming new residents. Nalia really believed that, even if Ardashir had approached her out in the Field.

Completing the circle, Scorch then address Nalia, telling her that Nerine truly was a place for what Nalia sought, even if it wasn't the whole story yet. Nalia's wings bristled at her side, her excitement pumping at thinking what else Nerine had to offer for her to see, beyond what she already had. More magic in these lands? She couldn't wait to find out.

Then, Scorch turned to a different topic of conversation, something Nalia was caught off guard by. She didn't take a whole lot of time to think because she immediately had an answer, "He did, but... I don't know, really. I haven't thought of where I'd fit in the best, if at all. I know I might not be looked at as a good peacekeeper yet, cause I'm younger. I don't know about all this... diplomacy, that older horses here have more experience in. Closest I ever came to that was watching stallions fight over my home herd and bachelors agreeing to strike out on their own for a time being."

Not entirely true, since she'd lived with a group of young horses her age and learned to coexist with them, but Ardashir and Scorch didn't have to know of her past yet anyways.

"I mean... I don't want to be a burden though, much less one that can't pull her own weight. So, do you think I could fit in here, somewhere? I want to try, see if I can actually be good at something," she finished with a firm stomp of her hoof to show her seriousness.

@[Ardashir]
    @[Scorch]
    Ardashir
    He was used to being called Sister at this point but, the touch to his shoulder was a new gesture offered to him. Or, maybe his mind was playing gap games again. The porcelain stag offered his own gentle touch to the Dosh’s lower neck before pulling back. Ardashir’s ears flickered listening to Scorch’s reply,Yes it seems I have. Though still unsteady I think I can start to take pride in what my duties are.” He was patient as Scorch explained about the uniqueness of the world that they lived in. He nodded in agreement with the once bay mare.  

The mention of what Nalia wanted to do here in the kingdom made the stallion wiggle his ears in a bit of worry. The winged mare touched his shoulder after he had offered up his apologies. The stag turned his head at the touch of her wing and once more extended his neck out to touch Nalia’s crest and offer a bit of a playful nibble. Ardashir had never been one to grow close to anyone with anyone before but, a mild amount of flirting had been stirring between the two horses. The stirrings of affection might have even started to show themselves. But, Ard was not one for public displays and kept his touch short and respectful.

The bearded stallion remained silent as Scorch explained the ranks, and then Nalia spoke up about the diplomacy cast. He added his voice here once more,I think you would be a find Diplomat. And, there are or course great teachers here. The sisters take care of each other and offer up what they can when there are those in need of help.” A little glance was given to Scorch who had offered up her own help when he had been lost.Those that are good with their words are always valuable. And, they keep us that tend not to use a lot of words in check.” He chuckled a bit.

He would have to stay true to his word this time and show Nalia the caves and coves of Nerine. The stallion would work harder to be around for those that needed him. The queen, The Dosh, those of the war caste. and, of course Nalia he could not be a ghost to her anymore. There was something inside of him that wanted to be closer to her a little flutter maybe near that heart of his..

The blue in an ocean of gray..

@[Scorch]
    @[Nalia]
    You’ve mistaken the stars reflected on the surface of the lake at night for the heavens.
    Nalia felt her cheeks warm a little at Ardashir's display, feeling his teeth nibble on the flesh of her crest. She blew air out of her nose, giving her head and neck a light shake, a bright smile appearing on her face. Nalia didn't know if Ardashir was thinking the same thing she did, but considering the filly had never seen or felt the affection of another outside family love, it was doubtful she thought of the situation the same as an outside eye might.

Ardashir expressed his opinion on how Nalia might do as a diplomat, something that intrigued the filly. She was still young, naive about certain things, but one thing was undeniable: in certain situations, she was either a silver-tongued creature, or a calm, cool, collected filly who only wanted the best for both sides of the fight. Nalia could at times be biased, especially when it came to her loved ones, but she had inherited her dam's desire for peace, and wanted to know she had done everything she could to try and make sure both sides benefitted.

She wasn't quick with her words every single time, and for every time she'd managed to help calm down the fight, there'd been another where trouble had only been stirred. Nalia wasn't entirely sure she could handle such a responsibility just yet, but Ardashir did say that they had teachers here, sisters who would help her learn the way of her trade.

Nalia figured he didn't mean actual sisters, but horses that were so close they thought of each other as family. Nalia had something like that too, a while ago, with fillies and colts her own age. Could she have that again, despite probably being one of the youngest of the herd?

Ardashir's end comment made Nalia laugh as well, knowing full well what he meant. She'd seen others who had a way with words keep those of a fiery temper calm. Could that perhaps be her? Could she pull her weight in Nerine as a diplomat, and help maintain the peace after a bit of training to know how to rectify a wronged situation?

The filly knew she would have a long time of work ahead of her, to learn the ways, to develop her own method of being a peacekeeper, but she had a strong desire and a want to prove herself as a good resident to Nerine. She didn't want others fighting her battles, or providing her with a home, if she couldn't contribute a little something.

The filly eyes brightly shimmered as she looked to Ardashir and Scorch, "It'll be tough, I'm sure, but maybe I can be useful as a Diplomat. Actually learn to use my words better than I can," she stated, feeling anxious, but ready for this undertaking. She glanced over at Scorch, "But of course I'd appreciate some training too, so that I can defend myself. I'm sure my wings are good for something, but I've seen some strange magic here already and I've got a feeling in my gut they won't always work," she told the mare, hoping she'd offer a solution to either train Nalia herself or recommend some horse who could.

@[Ardashir]
    @[Scorch]