• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

kingdom announcement & activity check - ALL
    Star 

Solace

. . .

Over the last day or two, there has been an extra spring in the young queen's step (despite the widening girth of her pregnant belly) and the care-free melody of her laugh was easy to come by. She had a secret, and it was time that the whole world knew.

Solace glides above the frozen lake, letting out a high whinny which echoes off the mountains. The mid-morning sun warms her back, despite the frigid temperatures, and the pristine snow glitters under its light. The honey-and-cream mare circles once, repeating her call before landing along the eastern bank of the lake in an open place where many could gather.

As Hyaline's residents and harbored arrive, Solace greets them individually. Some who hold back she offers a nod, and others who come forward she walks to meet for an exchange of scents and a quick hello. There are many she wishes to speak to later, to find out how they are adjusting to their new home, and discover their talents and interests. But soon enough have arrived for her to introduce the reason she has called a meeting. 

"Welcome," she calls to those gathered as her cerulean gaze scans the faces of her dearest friends, and the strangers she is eager to meet. "Thank you for coming today, I have something I would like to share with all of you." Her blue gaze falls to Kagerus, and she can't help the smile which brightens her features. 

"For half of my life, I have been the Caretaker of Hyaline. It is a title I hope to carry for as long as it is in this kingdoms best interest for me to do so." She pauses, drawing a breath as she watches the different expressions of those around her. "But from today on, I will not be Hyaline's sole leader. There is someone who will be helping me carry this responsibility, and giving her all to help foster the ideals which Hyaline has come to embody. Most of you know her, many of you may be here because of her, and it is my honored to share this title with Kagerus."

Solace concludes with a warm touch of her muzzle to her lover's shoulder, her eyes shining, as she awaits whatever remarks Kagerus wished to make.

@[Kagerus]
    Embark is here to stay Smile she’d like to be in the diplomatic caste <3
    She’s already headed into the valley when Solace calls the meeting, and she watches the Queen in the air above the Kingdom with curiosity, but no jealousy. Though she often stands at the edge of the mountain cliff faces and wonders what it would be like to fly, she would not trade her cat for anything. But despite reveling in how at home the tiger feels in the forest and mountains of Hyaline, Sochi has yet to give in to the cat’s baser instincts, and she still has to shift back and come down from the highest reaches of the Kingdom to eat her fill of sweet mountain grass.

Of course, with winter heavy upon them, it’s a lot of work to get to that grass, and sometimes she resents the time spent refueling. But this call for them gives her something to do besides just eat, and so with a little hop of excitement she reaches into a little canter and lets herself go across the open field, joy in every step as snow flies around her hooves. It is with regret that she slows when she comes across the group and then hangs back near the edges, simply watching and waiting as the residents of Hyaline gather around their queen.

Sochi has kept to herself, but mostly because she has been so excited about the new places for her cat to explore, not any animosity about Hyaline’s people. Still, gallivanting around the mountains probably wasn’t exactly what Solace and Hestia had in mind, so here she is, dark ears pricked for catching information while she watches them all closely. Solace announces she will be sharing her throne with another, a mare Sochi hasn’t met, and she turns to look curiously at Kagerus. She wonders if the new Queen will have anything to say.
    [Image: sochi.png]

I was less than graceful, I was not kind
    be out watching other lovers lose their spine

I hope that you catch me, ‘cause I’m already falling
    Ilma

Ilma is not the first to respond - she blames the fact that she has more than herself to carry, but in reality, she doesn't really want to make haste. It's a large gathering that Solace has asked for, and it will include all the male horses in this kingdom - a muskiness to their scent that sometimes still makes her nervous, makes her want to look back to make sure she isn't followed. Some days are better than others, and some days she just has to deal with it. They're not Him. So, she can get over it. With a little patience.

She greets Solace up close - an exchange of scents which helps her calm down, honestly; like when Kag came to meet her first when Baltas arrived, the scent of a familiar mare helps suppress the ideas that would rise in her nightmares. She smiles at the pinto mare shortly, before taking a step back, half into the crowd. She's not here to make her own announcements today, so even if she is a council member - for what it's worth, because they haven't really met since that night when Kag told them about Hestia and Abysm - she does not need to stand in the spotlights today.

Not that she ever felt like standing in a spotlight, to be honest.

She notices a young woman joining them that she has not seen before, she thinks; no wait, she has, she was one of those who came from Sylva, she thinks. Sochi joins them as well, though she says nothing - here to watch, to wait for the announcement, just like Ilma really. The white pegasus mare smiles at the young girl, wondering if she'd like to pick a caste to learn from or like Svedka just do whatever felt right at the moment. She follows the mahogany girl's gaze to her horned friend - now her Queen also, bound to Solace by love and devotion. Ilma nods to the two queens slowly, wondering in the back of her mind - but now is not yet the time when she hasn't spoken yet - who will take on the role as Protector; or perhaps she will continue to do so for as long as necessary.

don't let the fear of flying stop you from falling

Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    the secret of our world is written in the stars
    His sister calls - her voice clear and vivid across the frozen landscape - and he comes. He always will.

The Heart of Hyaline enters at an easy lope, sliding to a stop in the midst of ice and snow. Cerulean eyes quickly scan the crowd, mirth sparkling in their depths as he makes contact with both Embark and Ilma, whickering to them pleasantly (a sound that is deep and vibrating in his chest). There is a stranger among them, though it is easily possible that Svedka merely hasn’t seen her before and she was in fact not a stranger at all. He wants to say hello, but he knows that he will not be able to stop himself from continuing the conversation, and he knows why they have all gathered here anyway, so he refrains. 

It’s business as usual for Solace, but Svedka cannot help but notice the relaxation in her body (the brightness in her eyes, or the lightness in her step) as she stands beside Kagerus. Her twin smiles knowingly as he comes to rest beside Solace where Kagerus is not. The bright blue of her feathers gently brush against his golden and white skin familiarly in the winter wind as he turns his gaze towards her tenderly, pale golden ears flipped towards her. Solace is eloquent and regal as she stands beside her wild-eyed brother, with flowers and feathers strewn in his tangled mane. 

His eyes turn playful as Solace announces Kagerus’ new title, lifting his head just a bit so that he can meet her eyes over his sister’s neck. “Well deserved, my friend,” he offers her gently in congratulations. Though his eyes are full of mirth, his tone is endearing and genuine. He knows that Kagerus does not lack the ability to share the crown with his sister. Lowering his head, the stallion shifts his weight so that his shoulder rests easily into his sister, his pale mouth resting comfortingly on the smooth slope of her shoulder - a gentle gesture, one with encouragement and understanding. 

Despite the darkness brewing around Hyaline, there is peace and light abound in the mountain-protected valley.
    (be my escape)
    Svedka
    Smoak is struggling.

He has been back for less than one full day, and already he is unsure if he belongs. His reunion with Solace had been bittersweet (more sweet than bitter, truly). Her beauty, her smile, her gentle laughter, her new wings and new femininity. He had always known her to be the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, even as a child, but the bone-armored stallion could never have prepared himself for the beauty of grown, confident Solace. She had caught him up on Hyaline briefly, but the blue-tinted girl had always been more apt to ask questions than to answer them ─ and so while he was given a short synopsis of his time away, Smoak had not been expecting a kingdom meeting the morning after his return to the sanctuary.

He joins as she is announcing the news, hardly recognizing any of those who have gathered. He is approaching from behind, coming to Svedka's open flank and hanging just far enough away to not disrupt the proceedings. His ears twitch as Solace's monologue unfolds, gold-flecked eyes flicking harshly to the minimal overo coat where Solace presses her muzzle gently. His heart skips a bit, bringing a quick clench of his teeth ─ his displeasure is further cemented as Svedka raises his head to offer his congratulations to the bay mare, but Smoak forces his jaw to loosen and a lazy grin to snake its way over his lips as he extends his muzzle and presses it gently to Svedka's flank.

"Ved," he says quietly and casually, as if he has not been away for more than a year. "Time to catch up, yeah?" he whispers before turning his amber gaze to the winged Solace. He waits until he catches her eye before offering a warm smile, though can't quite find it in himself to congratulate Kagerus just yet.

He's thankful for the bustle of Hyaline ─ perhaps his lapse in manners will go unnoticed, with the rest of them getting ready to offer their own congratulations to the new Queen.

S M O A K
    here's a handshake, soldier, 'cause we both lost the war

@[Solace] @[Svedka]

kagerus
    and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times
    The voices are gone, this time for good. They are replaced now by her laughter, that crystalline sound that I find myself falling asleep next to and gently awakening me come dawn. Her barrel widens with the weight of twins, and my heart widens with undeniable love for her.

We play together, in our dreams - our little family, unborn and neglected, practicing for when the day really comes. And there is nothing more beautiful. Nothing more beautiful than the family we've somehow managed to create, ass-backwards and blindfolded.

She'd launched herself into the air today (pregnant with twins and all) with a giddiness that left me grinning and prancing there on earth. As her milk and honey figure drifts across the frozen lake, I make my way towards our predestined meeting spot - the eastern bank, where a clearing could hold the members of Hyaline.

By the time her call has been sung and she settles down on earth again, I am there to greet her. Our backs are to the frozen lake, and before any arrive, I press a gentle kiss to the soft nook just behind the curve of her lips. I love you, I murmur; but there's not time for more sweet nothings, as the members trickle in.

I greet each as they come, for I know many of them. A palomino appaloosa introduces herself as Embark, and a little filly appears, looking curiously at me. She must be Sochi, the exchange student Solace told me about. Then comes Ilma, and I press a warm greeting to her nose after she has done so with Solace. My heart goes out to the white angel, but since she'd greeted Baltas with me, I know that she's getting better. Doing better. I offer her a smile - but still, more follow in her wake.

Svedka settles on the other side of Solace, as well he should. And just behind him is a skinny amber thoroughbred, plated in bone; I offer him a reserved smile, but internally I wonder at his presence. His scent is foreign, but he places himself so comfortably next to a member of Hyaline's council... But before I can wonder at his presence much more, Solace is welcoming the crowd (which has numbers surely greater than I have herein listed).

With perked ears and a smile of the utmost support, I listen to her soft voice lilting to those gathered. It is short and succinct, a talent of hers that I surely do not share - but upon being named the co-leader of Hyaline, I bow my head humbly. A spark of warmth erupts from where her nose presses so comfortably into my shoulder, and I lift my nutmeg eyes to her as they shine with wordless gratitude. Before facing the crowd, I reach for her, and press my nose to the curve of her jaw.

Upon straightening, I caste my gaze out to the crowd, smiling without reservation. "Though many of you know me, I am Kagerus - and it is my honor to join Solace in her efforts to lead this sanctuary." A breeze ruffles our winter coats, but no bad weather could cool the warmth I feel inside. "It is my hope that I can continue in this position to help Hyaline and her people to prosper. The politic landscape is growing less harmonious with every passing day, and it will be a struggle to maintain our reputation as a neutral safehold for the refugees of Beqanna - but we will try."

"As of now, I will be continuing also as Hyaline's protector until another proves themselves worthy and wanting of the position. When I called a meeting for the war caste last month, I had only one come to express interest." My eyes go to Svedka, who'd offered me congratulations, who wears my flowers in his mane, and whose apple I can still taste from this morning's breakfast. I thank him, wordlessly, for his appearance - and smile upon remembering exactly how we  spent that meeting. I return my eyes to the crowd. "If any among you are inclined to join the war caste, please let it be known. We are in dire need of bodies willing to protect the souls we harbor within our peaceful borders."

"Furthermore, if you are interested in joining the peace caste, let that too be known." I glance to Solace, knowing that she's ready for all this spiel - since I warned her that I'd be long winded and all. "Ilma is our Ambassador, and will guide you through any missions or queries."

Inhaling deeply, I attempt to look each horse gathered in the eye as I deliver my final segment. "Lastly, my first words of guidance as a Caretaker and Queen of Hyaline is to recruit. We are growing in numbers every day - but whether you identify as diplomat, warrior, or resident, know that our strength grows most when we have more likeminded bodies to keep us warm during the cold of the oncoming political storm."

Quieting at last, I shift my weight until Solace's wings brush soothingly against my side - and the nerves that I'd been feeling this whole time melt away. Though some might not appreciate my ascension, I know in my heart that it truly is what's best for Hyaline. Nodding my head slightly, I signal that my speech has ended. Hopefully there will be some input from those gathered 'round.

AHHHHHH HI GUYS IM SORRY FOR THE WORDSPLOSION!
    Everyone is more than welcome to do another round of IC posts, but if you would rather just edit your existing posts to mention which caste you'd like your pony to be in, that'd be great <3 Let's get this board filled!! Also, anyone who hasn't answered yet is more than welcome to. This thread is far from finished Smile <333
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    Baltas is here ~ he'd like to be in the warrior caste
    Gedrinth is going to stay - and join the political caste
    Gedrinth | Mare | Age 4 | Hyaline| No Rank | Unknown Parents
    Frea | Mare | Age 13 | Wandering | Loner | Fart (Call) x Rea (Tinsel)
    Kwazi | Stallion | Age 15 | Loner | Unknown Parents
    Enchida | Mare | Age Unknown | Carnage(Cassi) x Hoxepin(Taz) | (No Account, yet)
    Briseis is here but still just as a resident (: