• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

KINGDOM MEETING
    Brick 

It’s long past time for her to start a meeting. A meeting, she hopes, will be quite a bit more successful then the last one. So much has happened and so much is about to happen. It’s time to address all who’ve come to call Nerine home. Those who’ve introduced themselves and those that have not given her that pleasure yet, she calls to them all. She herself has gone through some changes just as Nerine has. Okay more like dramatic changes since the last time she had called out to them. It is hard to believe that it has been a whole year since becoming queen.

Her body is fresher, younger with the gift of immortality. It will become old, but that matters little as it was already explained to her as to how this gift would work. A long whistle shrills past her lips. She hopes that more will come this time. Hopes that the work done by those faithful few have payed off. Her flaming wings flutter at her sides as she settles her back to the tip of the bluff. They crawl from their caves, their chittering groups on the plains, their homes among the hills. They come to her slowly, one by one. She doesn’t start yet, instead she approaches the first to arrive touching their shoulder, greeting them as she always does. She does the same for each that come to her for this meeting. Hestia is determined that bonds will be formed among them. When most are present, and all have settled she begins. Not facing them, above, or in front of them. But among them, walking through the crowd and catching as many gazes as she can. Her green eyes harboring the flame that lays buried just under her skin.

Welcome, the words are soft, but they are not quiet. Her voice carries on the spring breeze. New life has already joined them this season. She’s waited until mothers are settled into their new roles, instead of swollen cold and pregnant. If any of them were in that state to begin with. This is a young kingdom, in a manner of speaking, and it is easily possible that they are not yet comfortable enough to begin filling the place with little ones. She continues, it has been a year since the last meeting, a meeting where only a numbered few were present in Nerine. Now look at us! She grins, a glimmer of mischief in her eyes. Yes, look at the kingdom now. The visitors, the residents, the children. They have made a home of this place once more.

I would like to congratulate those who’ve already done enough for the kingdom to have gained ranks. Among those is Scorch, now my advisor, and should any diplomats desire a task ask her for one. She will give you an assignment. Walter has accepted the honor of being my Champion, he is my most trusted fighter, and should it ever be necessary he will be fighting at my side; or for me, should, heaven forbid, I ever need that. While Djinni has kindly stated her intentions to remain as our mage, for now. She nods to each in turn, offering them smiles of friendship, friendship she has been cultivating over the course of the year. Friendship she hopes will only strengthen with time. She tacks on the words at the end respectfully for Djinni, letting her know that Hestia fully intends on keeping her word I would also like to say, welcome back to those who’ve rejoined us. She looks from one to another, so many faces, most of whom she is familiar with. And many of whom she is eager to get to know better. She looks to the past queens among them. Nerine will be strong once again. There is no doubt about it.

She pauses letting others congratulate one another, before moving to the next topic that must be addressed. We now have several relations with other kigdoms, thanks to the hard work of our diplomats, and hopefully a few more to come in the future. Sylva has requested that we only perform friendly battles and mocks with their warriors. Anything else will be considered a breach of the alliance. Hyaline has requested that we only do friendly steals for 6-month periods, but they are eager to see us mingling with them in their borders and we are welcome to tread through their kingdom for any reason as long as there is no violence or threat to them. They have also agreed to a blood alliance, I need one child to volunteer for this to happen. You will be spending a period of one-year learning all you can by an official’s side, as one of theirs will do the same here for the same period of time. Anyone willing to participate now would be the time to step forward. This will not take place until the season for weaning has passed. She pauses waiting for someone to accept, or ask any questions they may have, state any concerns they may hold about this. When all is addressed and settled once more she continues. Tephra has also agreed to a blood alliance and we will be trading Philomena for Wishbone for a year. Thank you for volunteering. She dips her head to touch Philomena in affection as she passes the girl. She can’t know how much Hestia appreciates this, nor how much it will affect her future with Nerine. In fact, if the black queen is being honest, she takes note of all who eagerly fulfill special assignments. It’s how those who’ve surrounded her have gotten to where they are so quickly. She tacks on at the end about the Tephra alliance, we are welcome to do friendly steals and mocks with the Tephran’s as part of the alliance. Please take advantage of these opportunities. She wants to see them strong, and able. She wants them to build friendships and relations with the other kingdoms. That was the purpose of the fighting pen in the first place.

After some debate, and questions asked and answered, Hestia begins again. This is going to be a long meeting, and already she has passed through the crowd several times. Now she moves to stand before them. Several more announcements, several more topics will come up for debate, and these she can not be one of them for. These she must be their queen, she must guide them through these things. These are things not meant for comradery. It is time for them to get to the serious business. While we are on the topic of alliance’s there is one potential one in particular that we must discuss. She grows quiet as she broaches this topic, but not so quiet as to make it impossible for any of them to miss her words. Taking a deep breath and looking to her friends to ground her she begins, louder this time, clear in her intent. There has been quite a bit of deliberation and planning as the brothers want to reform their kingdom, and we the legacy of their sisters; in the past, have been exactly that, as sisters to them. Scorch and I will be standing at Brennen’s side when the time for a vote in Ischia happens. I will not force any to support this who do not wish to. I would very much appreciate all my officials, Walter, Djinni, Scorch, and anyone else willing to be present to join me as we once again find the bonds of brother and sister kingdoms. We will not be partaking in the voting and should the voting fail Brennen will challenge Krone to the throne of Ischia. Again, we will not be partaking in these events, we are there to support our brothers, and to witness. The only time I will participate is should a raid occur. I hope that all my warriors will be by my side should things come to this. But again, I will not force any who do not wish to, to participate. She quiets giving any who wish to speak time to gather their thoughts and make their decisions on if they will stand loyally by her side, or if causing tension in Beqanna is not something they can support her in.

After listening to their questions, hearing their debates, and after they have declared their positions she moves on. I also want all of you to begin thinking of a title for us. One that can have a matching name tied to the brotherhood. I am open to hearing any ideas. We may hold the legacy of the Amazons, but Nerine is not the Jungle. We are a coastal kingdom, and we need something to call ourselves that matches this strength. Because we are not just a legacy, we are warriors; our women are proud and work hard in our kingdom. They do not sit back and let the men do all the work; however, we are not as our predecessors became in putting our men down; they work alongside us, males are just as much a part of our kingdom as females are. We should reflect this in what we decide to call ourselves. This is a new era with new ideas. Let us be leaders in this. she doesn’t yell, but she does look them all firmly in their eyes once again. Hestia listens to them all, one by one as they speak, she doesn’t expect all to agree with this, doesn’t expect all to agree with everything. But that is what these meetings are for. To find common ground and come to an understanding between all parties involved.

When the time to move on has come she looks to the sky for a moment, it’s pink, they’ve been talking for so long. They must be exhausted. Part of her feels sorry for them. Sorry that they must stand here and listen for so long. That this meeting couldn’t be shorter. But they are almost finished. There are only a few minor things left for her to announce. They’ve done so well this year, she is proud to call them all brothers and sisters. I am going to be searching out an heir this year, so that I might begin raising and training her to be a good leader in the event something happens, and I am unable to continue leading you. I hope that I will be able to announce who this will be next year. I want you all aware of this as I hope anyone who knows of a potential foal to approach me about them later. Her own child approaches her side nudging her as it listens to her tired thoughts. It’s voice in her head so soft and soothing, Hestia, you push yourself to hard. The rest can wait. Please listen to me love. She’s not had a chance to tell Murc of Oblivion and she searches for him, she begins to approach him; but now is not the time or place to speak of it. She wants to offer some reassurance that Murc is the only one she loves, that this thing was not her fault, that she had not cheated on him. It growls in her mind angry that she tries to dismiss their centuries of connect for some male whom she’s barely met. The lobe of it’s nostril still gaping flapping with each breath it takes. Hestia stops in her tracks, before anyone can surmise what is happening she finishes what she’s started. As for the warriors, speak to Nayl if you wish an assignment, as I am assigning her as general in Heartfire’s absence. A task for everyone in the ranks, I have one of two things you can perform. I want each to complete one by this time next year. Steal or battle against one of the kingdoms we do not have an alliance with yet. For your terms they will be: a year of captivity in which looser must recruit someone for the kingdom they are in and all interactions will be cut off except for within that kingdom during that time. She stops once more. They are so close to being finished here, it feels as if cotton sticks in her mouth, her voice soar from talking so much. The last thing before everyone leaves, I am forming a new branch in our ranks. Those chosen to be in it will be considered out elite spies. Give me two reasons for why you should be considered, and what traits you have that enable you to be a part of this group. she pauses looking hopefully to Djinni, giving her a chance to accept or decline the offer Hestia had made the last time they spoke, would she want to lead this new group? Hestia pauses for a moment letting the mare give her an answer, either vocally or in her demeanor before she concludes her announcement opening the floor to her people. Listening to them, watching them. Her child at her side, looking to Murc for support as she grows tired after such a long day.

HESTIA

The devil whispered in my ear, you’ll never survive the storm
    I whispered back, I am the storm

Okay so short… (not-so-short) version is:
    1. Sylva: only battles and mocks with their warriors (friendly)
    2. Hyaline: only 6-months for stealing (friendly), also requested that lots of visitors pass through! Need a foal to volunteer for trading places with one from Hyaline for a year.
    3. Tephra: Mocks and stealing only (friendly), Philomena will be trading places with Wishbone for a year.
    4. Ischia: Supporting Brennen as he plans on rebuilding the brotherhood, alliance details will be determined if he wins. Any willing to support this need to announce this here. And please tag if they are willing to be a part of the raid should it come to that.
    5. Be thinking of titles for Nerine, any suggested titles should have a matching one for the brotherhood. We are doing this as our warrior caste are no longer just females.
    6. Nayl is now general as Insane has been MIA. (miss you girl<3)
    7. A new branch is being made up, people wishing to be a part of this must have some ability that allows them to gather accurate information.
    8. If you’re character is in the ranks, please either perform a steal or battle with a kingdom we do not have a relationship with. Battle terms should be captivity for one year in which time the loser will work for the other’s kingdom providing one recruit for them. Same terms apply to a steal only you can lose from a block.
    9. THIS IS AN ACTIVITY CHECK. If you do not reply to this thread then a red star will be put by your name. Or, if you did not get back to the other OOC activity check either you will be demoted to resident. For resident’s same thing, only you will be removed from the board as you cannot be demoted. Please tell me if you know someone is on an away and cannot reply <3
    [Image: 345k45w.jpg]

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

When the cry went up, a kind of knot formed in Scorch's stomach; once, it had been her calling her sister together; once, it had been her kingdom. Memories of her time ruling played in the mare's dragon eyes as she quickly moved through the cliff-side kingdom. The Jungle, her sisters, how eager they all were to truly commit, a group of people with a life energy that seemed to have disappeared after the reckoning. But they were rebuilding; and for now, Scorch's role in that effort was to be the advisor. The second in command. Not the queen - she told herself this as she settled in among the crowd, ignoring the way her legs itched to climb to a higher surface upon which to address her people.

Today, she addressed nothing; but she did listen, and occasionally, she spoke.

"Thank you, Hestia," Came her brusque voice upon the recognition of her promotion. She stepped forward, eyes flashing, identifying herself to all there as some may not yet know her. But upon seeing her once, they ought not forget: hairless and scarred, Scorch had been easier on the eyes which flaming tattoos covered the entirety of her figure.

"As was said, please find me if you are itching for work; however, I strongly encourage all members of Nerine to recruit. This is a duty expected of everyone, not just diplomats. There is more strength in numbers than in those who think themselves above the Field." Looking from face to face with an intensity reminiscent of her past queenship, Scorch sank back into the woodwork of those gathered, the knot in her stomach slightly unwound now that she'd had a chance to get some thoughts off her chest.

Old habits die hard; she's used to addressing others this way.

The brotherhood came up next, and Scorch listened, approving of everything Hestia said, nodding curtly every now and again. Her mind's eye went to the meeting they'd had with Brennen earlier this month, and still she felt a certainty undeniable on the subject of this Ischian reformation. When Hestia called upon her to be present at the mutiny, Scorch nodded.

"I have known Brennen since I was a filly, over seventy years ago." Damn, she felt old saying that... "I can vouch for his character, and for his plight in Ischia. Our kingdom will only grow stronger once aligned with Brennen's brotherhood." She looked out into the crowd of faces, searching for any who seem doubtful, and directing her speech towards them. She'd never been more sure of anything in her life; Brennen would lead the brothers well.

On the subject of titles, Scorch said only a short snippet. "I propose we keep the title of Amazons, and the brothers take on the title of Gargareans. In ancient mythology, they were each others opposites." Why the Tundra's men had never held that title before was beyond Scorch - but then again, in the time before, the Tundra and the Amazons had never been sister kingdoms and were instead distinctly different. But perhaps this would be better.

At the mention of the child exchange, Scorch smiled down fondly at her daughter Philomena, who stood stoically, though Scorch knew better than to think she wasn't excited. The two had talked extensively about the exchange and about how to act and what to do; but Mina was a bright child, and she didn't need as much mentoring as Scorch gave her. Pride radiated from the bald mare, a kind of satisfaction that only mothers know.

The rest of the meeting went by with discussion that largely excluded the need for Scorch's interjection, and so instead, she chose to listen. When all was said and done, the sky had turned bright pink; but still the mare waited, knowing that during meetings like these, strangers were wont to show up near the very end of things.

Scorch

Once Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle
    Advisor to Nerine's Hestia

[Image: scorch2.png]
    Lewana

She is late to the meeting, punctuatley was never her strong suite. After all, she does need her daily cat-nap. She stalks forwards, amongst the familiar faces and newfound strangers, her tail flicking inquistively as her gaze danced about meeting these new faces before her. My have they grown in numbers, she thinks silently, a gentle purr erupting form the depths of her throat, as she padded forwards finally finding an empty space to settle down.

The leopon had been dormant for a year, yet still lingered about Nerine. She held no rank, for there was no need to if she was going to slum about by the coastal caves, and eroding cliffs. Without a rank, she had no purpose, which was perfectly fine with her. But when Hestia speaks of this spy tiered rank, who better to be apart of it than her?

She was the perfect concoction of feline, exhibiting both traits of a stealthy and quick thinking lioness, and silent and deceptive leopard. For, in fact, it was as if she was made for this rank. Her eyes light up as she ponders, a sweet smile forming on her inky muzzle as she stands her obsidian rounded lobes flickering at every movement an equine near her creates. 

Her head raises, and her maw releases a ferocious roar, as to grab the attention of the Queen. "Hestia." She states in a greeting dipping her head in respect. "I wish to be apart of this new Rank of elite spies, I am practically built for this rank, look at me." Her azure contracted gaze lifts to Hestia. "I can blend into almost every environment, I am equipped with lights steps, that of a leopard. And the keen senses, and quick reflexes, that of a lioness." She pauses, her gaze drifting across the other faces, as she receives stares, something not common. "I hold no rank currently and am in dire need of a purpose. I am brutally honest and lack a sense of fear. I would be a useful asset not only to you but to the sisterhood."

Baby, this is not wonderland.

Sorry I'm so rusty Smile
    Porcia

Porcia was hanging by the beach when she heard the whinny of another, it sounded like Hestia and of course she went to investigate. Her ears did not lie, it was in fact Hestia, but what did shock Porcia was it appeared she was calling a Kingdom meeting. Was she the Queen? she has looked up to Hestia like a mother, bonded to the mare and all this time has past she did not know she was queen. She feels embarrassed that she had loved Nerine so much but did not know her own queen was her closest friend.

None the less, she finds a spot amongst the others, this is the first time she is seeing most of these equines and she scans over each of them silently, but curiously. Her head flicks from scanning the crowd to Hestia as she begins to speak, she offers a greeting and she smiles in return, as if she was speaking directly to Porcia. Hestia notes it has been a year since the last meeting, although Porcia was not apart of Nerine at that time. She moves in to announce Scorch and Walter as the diplomat and warrior leaders. She scans to find Scorch as she begins to talk, Porcia hopes to speak to her at some time, hopeful to do more for the kingdom as a diplomat.

Her attention flicks from Scorch back to Hestia, she talks about the kingdoms alliances, and how they will be trading foals in a couple kingdoms. It sounded interesting, and she hoped to be able to meet the foals once they arrive in the kingdom. She moves into talking about Ischia, and how the kingdom wants to bring back the brotherhood from the Tundra and the sisters from the Amazon. She was but a foal when these kingdoms were disbanded so she just listens and looks around to the others as they chatter amongst themselves. Hestia then talks about how a horse from Ischia wants to challenge the current ruler for there spot, she did not know Ischia personally but the thought of dethroning a ruler hurts her heart. She thinks about it happening to Hestia and she knows she would be heart broken of the betrayal, but it was not her kingdom and it was not Hestia.

Lastly, Hestia wraps up the meeting discussing she will be looking for a Heir. Again her heart aches, the thought of losing Hestia is unbareable, but for the sake of Nerine she understands. Her closing remarks she speaks of a new elite spies for the kingdom. Porcia thinks carefully, does she want to do this? It is definitely something of interest to her, but could she deceive others? But if it was for Nerine she could do it easily. Her gaze scans to an ebony mare who speaks up first of the new rank. She listens as she lists the reasons why she should be apart of the spies. Porcia wastes no time and steps up Hestia she speaks nervously I would like to volunteer for the Elite Spies, I get along easily with others. I do not think they would be able to tell that I was a spy, but merely trying to be there friend. She has never used her kindness deceitfully, but if it was for Nerine. Also, I will do anything for Nerine, if you give me a task, I will ensure it is completed. I am good at following orders. Her heart was beating, all eyes were on her. Equines she has never met, and some probably doubted her capabilities as she was so young. But she wanted to do this, she would carry out her diplomatic position but if chosen she would be a spy as Hestia requested.

Tell Me Your Fate
    She hadn't been around much. That was for sure. Instead of prowling upon the beach, she had been giddy on the cliffs with her family. They had been undisturbed by kingdom duties for some time, but the real world begged for her mother's return, so to it they fled. The cliffs and laughter were replaced with somber discussions of the duties Philomena would be soon to fulfill. Life was about to change greatly for the painted girl, that much was certain. This is what she had wished for. To be like her mother. All she had wanted was to embody her home, to hold that weight as so many others did. And when her name is mentioned upon her queen's lips, and the woman's dark muzzle finds her pole she is filled with pride. Her own muzzle reaches to offer a gentle nudge to Hestia's cheek as she passes. It was a goodbye of a sort. And when her gaze reaches the crowd she smiles, her people. Her family. Some have lingering gazes upon the girl while others simply dismiss her and turn away. Mina takes it with a grain of salt and nods her head , her bodice rising confidently at her mother's side. 

She would do Nerine justice, she would make Scorch and Hestia proud. She only hoped that when the year was up they'd tell her she had served Nerine well. 

That she had done a good job, and with that she grows silent alongside her mother.
    By the time Starlin was old enough to truly pay attention to the royalty of Nerine, Nayl had given over her throne to her daughter. Isobell was an absent queen, and so when Hestia had arrived it had been with much excitement from Starlin. A leader that was present, who led. That is all that Starlin has ever really wanted.

The grullo mare listens attentively to what Hestia has to say, and she glances curiously at her mother when the black queen names her. Djinni had not shared her decision to stay in Nerine with Starlin, but she is not surprised. The two of them have never been especially close. The mention of the army has Starlin looking toward Nayl. She is pleasantly surprised to see the orange-eyed mare again. Perhaps Isobell with be returning as well.

When all is said, she has only one question. "If stallions are to be considered equal to mares here, why are you only looking for a female heir? Are we the Amazons, or aren't we?" She had been raised on the stories of the jungle and its women warriors. Are they to throw that aside now?
    For the most part, Djinni tries to ignore what is going on in Nerine. Every now and then they’ll all be summoned, but the grey mage hasn’t bothered to answer since Nayl had called her last assembly. The iron queen’s daughter had been a nice enough girl, but Djinni didn’t have any attachment to her. With the tether of Nayl gone, Djinni had wandered, returning only for a certain golden stallion.

She’s not inclined to respond to these summons either, but it occurs to the rose gold mare that Hestia might be expecting an answer to the question she’d asked during their most recent chat.

With a sigh that shakes a bit of dried sand from her rosy shoulders, the gold-winged mare vanishes from her seaside cave and reappears in an instant a few paces behind Hestia. In this way she avoids the personal greeting, preferring to nod a brief acknowledgment instead.

Djinni has learned her lesson of “Don’t get too close” all too well.

She listens with one flickering ear, half-absorbed in watching a distant vole attempt to scale the cliff. Only at a particular pairing of words does she truly attend to Hestia. A blood alliance? The black queen continues, elaborating on her intentions and requesting a child volunteer.

Not a true blood alliance then, she realizes, and the low hum of worry in the back of her mind subsides a little. Djinni had not missed the arrival of Scorch - it is hard to not notice the bald monstrosity - and Djinni knows all too well the history behind the former queen’s existence. She’d rather them not get the chance to try anything like the Blood Alliance again.

"The brotherhood should do that alone.” Djinni replies. ”If Brennen can’t take the throne on his own, what kind of ally would his Ischia make?" The rose gold mare has no doubt that the raven winged stallion could manage such a feat, though Krone had not seemed inept during their meeting a month past.

Hestia continues the conversation, asking about dull topics regarding names and appointing a heir. Bored, Djinni picks her way through the crowd until she can press her shoulder against Walter's. The sensation is familiar, and yet somehow remains thrilling. She had not been sure that would last, and yet it does. Some things never change.

When Hestia mentions a spy caste, Djinni listens to the volunteers with casual disinterest, meeting the phoenix queen's direct gaze for only a moment after Porcia and Lewana have spoken. The mage wishes Hestia to know she accepts, and so the queen will, with no one else any the wiser.

ooc: djinni publicly declines the position of spymaster bc of course that is what a secret spymaster would do. she’ll seek out the individuals who volunteer for the caste on an individual basis later.

Hestia’s voice draws him out of the cave he’d been exploring on the northern slopes. Not as many venture up to the tip of the kingdom as they stay near the heart, but Walter prefers it.  He especially prefers the solitude today in his solo exploration of the wild lands.  So much has happened in the last year that he couldn’t have imagined even a year prior.  He’s taken on a mantle of responsibility that he’s shrugged off his entire life.  And the weight of it is more of a blessing than a burden as it sits heavily on his shoulders.  There is a new comfort in routine, in keeping himself grounded and loyal to the benefit of more than just himself.  He thinks about all of it in the caves.  The stalactites drip cold water along his body as he moves, continuously reviving him with each droplet.  Then Hestia’s call echoes into the deepest reaches of the chamber and he is quick to about-face and follow it to the source.

By the time he lands nearby and tucks his feathered wings to his side, there are already a large number of attendees to the meeting.  Good, he thinks, walking the rest of the way to the lot of them, a united group is a strong image to send out to the rest of the world.  He finds the black queen with his eyes, meeting her gaze and nodding in encouragement before she begins.  Not that she needs his assistance, but he wants to be that friendly face in the crowd, should she want it.  He probably should have loaded up on some cave water before he left to spill out of his mouth in front of her again.  Although, perhaps it is best he hasn’t.  This is Serious Business after all.  Best keep his game face on and muscles flexed at the ready.  

Hestia moves through the crowd, talking as she goes.  She mentions how much they’ve grown over the past year.  It truly has, more than a year, even.  He remembers a stretch of time when the kingdom had been more grey and bleak than usual – and that is saying something for Nerine.  He hadn’t cared then, not really.  But long years waiting for his woman had made him start to notice inadequacies and lapses in the ocean-kissed land.  It hadn’t been enough to be a spectator any longer.  Hestia’s thus-short reign has been a boon to the activity, it can’t be denied.  And for the first time, he’s invested in it.  

Mention of promotions and filled positions comes first.  The pegasus regards Scorch as her name is aligned with the advisor spot.  Walter doesn’t know much about the bald lady, but knows she is well-respected among many of the others.  Something about coming back from the dead gives one a certain acumen, he supposes.  He’ll have to meet her at some point.  His name is next, and here comes the muscle flexing to prove he’s worthy of it.  Not really.  To be honest, if someone had told him one day he would be willing to surrender his life for the honor of a kingdom, he would have laughed until he choked on his own spit and died.  Now, the idea only seems a little crazy still.  Well, maybe more than a little.  But he’s here, committed, and that’s the main thing.  He’ll take a kick to the ass and a bite to the jugular all for Nerine.  He smiles at the rest of them like any good and just champion would do.

The queen blessedly moves on after that.  He doesn’t like the addendum to what she says about Djinni.  For now?  What the hell is that supposed to mean?  He looks for her pinkish gold form in the crowd, but doesn’t see her at first.  They hadn’t exactly gotten to discuss their long-range plans, even if she now knew he was ready to plant roots here.  Is she planning her exit already?  The palomino pushes those thoughts away for now as the meeting continues on.  There is talk of alliances and terms, and he feels suddenly vulnerable to his own ignorance of the other lands.  He really needs to get out more and see what they’re up against.  Any protector would, right?  They reinstate the Blood Alliance idea with several kingdoms.  He has no opinion on the matter either way, but wonders how he’d feel about his own child participating.  Thoughts like that only bring him right back to Djinni (and he warms when he thinks of their time in a different cave recently) so he stifles them again.  

There is a change in tone his ears swivel to catch after that.  The fire-winged mare mentions Brennen and Ischia and an interesting plot to make him its leader.  A new Brotherhood.  Interesting indeed.  He wonders if it will come to violence in the island kingdom or if the old warrior will have enough support to make it a bloodless transition.  He wagers on the latter.  Just in case it comes to a raid, he throws in his name.  “I’ll be there if needed.”  Scorch seems sure of Brennen, at least.  They talk about a new name for the members of both sister kingdoms and Walter doesn’t really have a stake in the discussion, but throws out a few ideas, anyways.  He’s rather a sucker for the history of names.

The meeting goes on with the day, and the stallion shifts his weight from one side to the other and back again.  Are they always this long?  I mean, solid work by their fearless leader, but man.  Nayl replaces the missing general, and he looks to her meaning to seek her out at some point soon.  Surely she will have good advice for him on his newfound path in life.  Protecting the realm and all that, no big deal.    

Walter

son of Liefde & Ellen

OOC: Soo here are some name ideas I was too lazy to work into the post
    Tritons / Nereids
    Neptune (Neptunians? Neptunans?)  / Salacia (Salacians - queen of Neptune)
    Hydrans / Sirens
    Leviathans / Undines
    Merrows – Irish mermaid/merman
    Some could be interchangeable, but all have to do with water/the ocean for Ischia/Nerine.
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.
    Something inside her bristles at having being called. That was once her; she beckoned those of Nerine to her attention, but she is nothing now. During her hiatus tucked in the cave systems of the cliff, Nayl let her name slip into an empty void to be forgotten. The empire she raised has since crashed down and her legacy faltered. Perhaps, that is what makes it more difficult to step from the shadows and back into the limelight with the rest of them.

There is much to be said, but like Djinni, Nayl listens with only half a heart. From the outskirts, Nayl joins the congregation and quietly takes a place at her old friend’s side, sandwiching her against Walter. The topics are more relevant had she been here rather than tucked in the darkness with Lior. Plans and ideas can be concocted, one after another, but there is never a guarantee that it will happen, or even be successful.

So, a great deal of the discussion is shrugged off until a familiar name is brought to the forefront of the conversation.

Nayl first listens to Djinni’s objection of the brotherhood, quietly savoring the fact they share an opinion (although this was a common thing when they worked closely together in the past). A nod here and a nod there. A contemplative glance and a raised brow toward Scorch before Nayl addresses Hestia. ”I, also, do not support backing Brennen. I lost my respect and trust in him. During my reign over Nerine, I gave him responsibility and I gave him ranks. I made him the leader of the male soldiers here, but nothing came of that. Next, he proposed that he be Overseer in Hyaline while it was Nerine’s subkingdom. I granted him that title. What did he do? He disappeared again which, in the end, destroyed the relationship and power Nerine had over Hyaline.” The memories flash across the back of her eyelids when she blinks, and a slow, rising anger boils through her veins. It’s impossible for her to forget his abandonment.

”I feel that if he wants Ischia, then he can take it himself rather than having it handed to him by Nerine. He has received enough handouts from this kingdom for a lifetime already.” Nayl’s absence hasn’t tampered her brash personality or cutting opinions. With her eyes gleaming and a snarl on her face, she forces herself to look away and toward the ocean knowing well that it isn’t her decision to make anymore.

former queen of nerine
    daughter of covet & myrina
    lady, runnin' away to the riptide
    taken away to the dark side

She has only ever spoken to Scorch, Scorch’s daughter, and Hestia; so it is with some caution that she follows the others to the meeting, setting amongst them with her own daughter tucked against her side, her eyes wary while the yearling’s are wide silver moons with awe. Sochi has never seen this many horses gathered - even in the common lands, they gather in smaller groups. Sloene is used to large groups, or she was a long time ago, but now after so long on her own they make her...itchy. But she settles in to listen.

The first topic is one of the man at the Quren’s side, but she is not interested besides filing away the knowledge for later. She is no fighter, and will likely encounter Walter rarely in that capacity. But the next is of alliances of the young, and Sloene knows that her bold offspring with volunteer before Hestia is even done speaking - and she does just that, though Sloene is thankful her daughter at least waits until the black mare is done speaking before she steps forward, eyes alight with the chance for adventure. “I may be barely a foal now at a year,” she says to the group, “but I would be willing to go to Hyaline.” and that’s that, and the end of her time raising a child. She hopes she didn’t fuck it up that badly.

Hestia turns to the idea of Ischia, and it is not as universally received by all. Sloene listens to the support of the two mares she has met and trusts her, and then dissent from those she doesn’t know and has never even met. One is the Djinni that the Queen says is a mage, the other a former Queen. And why former? If she was so great, why is she not Queen still? Djinni makes some sense, wanting him to prove his strength to them, and without hostility, but she is uncomfortable with the anger behind Nayl’s words, and she has learned to go with her gut. Sloene frowns at them, and can’t help but add her own thoughts. “It seems unfair to slander him when he is not here to defend himself. Have you ever asked him why he left Nerine? It seems to me someone trusted by Scorch and Hestia would have a good reason to do so. And you as Queen should have been strong enough to hold Hyaline by some other way than depending on him.” Her eyes flick back to those who have pledged support and she nods to hem, “I am not much of a fighter but I shall add my support to the Queen’s in whatever capacity is needed and I am able to give.”

Hestia speaks of names and history and heirs, and Sloene has nothing to offer here, holding her peace until she speaks of this group of elite spies, and then she shifts, recalling her own earlier conversation with the Queen. She waits for there to be a pause in volunteers and then speaks again, and now there is passion behind the musical tones. “I would like to volunteer for this group of spies. I was trained for just such a task since birth, and learned many ways to be unnoticeable and forgettable and learn things even when I had no traits. I have a passion and skill for the work.” she looks at the other volunteers as they eagerly blurt out their qualifications and shakes her head, “but I would rather my newfound magics to support me in my work stay a secret between myself, my Queen, the spymaster and perhaps the future heir. The fewer to keep such secrets, the better.” Good spies, trained ones, would not want everyone in a Kingdom to know their secrets. Perhaps the other volunteers have potential, but she wonders if they really understand the lonely life of a good spy.

SLOENE
    I've got a lump in my throat
    cause you're gonna sing the words wrong

The synopsis:
    -I wrote this on my phone so I apologize for any weirdness roll with it
    -Sochi volunteers to go to Hyaline; she’s a yearling
    -Sloene supports Hestia/Scorch/Brennen
    -Sloene wants to be a spy but doesn’t want to tell everyone her traits; I’m pretending we’ve already gotten to the point in the Sloene/Hestia thread where she tells her and she’ll be happy to tell the spymaster
    -Sloene and Sochi are ‘here’; Sochi too young to pick a caste and Sloene will be in the Peace is she needs a cover for being a secret spy