• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

runnin' away to the riptide;
    lady, runnin' away to the riptide
    taken away to the dark side

She’s left the baby in the playground before dawn even breaks, and makes the short trek from the warm safety of the playground where the foals frolic under the watchful eye of the fae-folk to the field, where the sharks roam as freely as the minnows. Sloene has come here before, and she had followed Aranea home, but the volcanic mountain had only been home because her friend had been there. Without Aranea and Magnus in Tephra, it wasn’t home. The grulla mare had been quite contentedly homeless until there was a baby.

The baby deserves a home. That had been her mistake with the first baby – she’d tried to raise the first one on her own, but it hadn’t been right or good. Tephra echoes emptily without her friends there, and the rest of her old haunts are not right or good. This, this lonely empty place, is where one goes to find a home and a place to raise a child. Though – it’s not as cold and lonely as she remembers. Spring has brought new grass and flowers to the field and a breeze blows warm across her face as she dances lightly from point to point, silver eyes taking in the faces but she isn’t immediately drawn to anyone in particular.

Instead she settles near an edge, quiet and watching. Always watching. Always the ugly duckling amongst the goslings. Though she thinks that’s a stupid saying – goslings are actually very ugly, after all, but ducklings are actually kind of cute. Perhaps it was her many foster-siblings who were ugly, despite their similarities and greater numbers, while the singular quiet regular child might have been the beautiful duckling. After all, her mother might have loved her. She wasn’t left by choice; her mother had died. Perhaps, otherwise, she would have been a duckling amongst ducklings.

She’s not entirely unlike them anymore, those goslings. Her foster-siblings. Outwardly she is still the plain girl, the nothing child, but the quest has given her something beyond dreams of a family that will never be. It has given her an unseeable power, one to match those children she had always envied. Sloene has something to offer a Kingdom now, finally, something to give them. And in turn they will give her and Sochi a home.

SLOENE
    I've got a lump in my throat
    cause you're gonna sing the words wrong

ooc; no Ischia, Tephra, or Hyaline please

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

Her own child - adopted, though that meant little to the veteran mother - rested easily in their thicket in Nerine, tucked away and looked after by the other members of that kingdom, though they were few and far between. Scorch had left Philomena with clear instructions as to where to find water and not to leave the kingdom, reassuring the child that her trip away would be short, that she was not abandoning the little girl as her mother had.

She smiles at the thought of her charge, unashamed now in her rebirth of her passion for children and motherhood. Before, in the Jungle, she had felt the need for a defensive attitude, as if she felt stand-off-ish on the topic of motherhood. Now, however, she embraces her closeness with the new filly. She will never again bear her own children, having been resurrected save for her womb: and furthermore, her husband still lay peacefully in his grave, though the two often spoke, tendering to each other's hearts and deepest desires. She was nothing without him.

Today, however, both child and husband are gently and temporarily put to the side. Having silently assumed a position in the Nerinian ranks, she feels it is her duty to find others to accompany her. Her strong legs traverse the land between her kingdom and the place of recruitment easily, and before long, she stands on the edge of the land, smiling and hopeful. It has been years, a lifetime actually, since her last visit here - and how frequently she used to come. The deja vu is almost too intense for her to stomach, and for a few minutes, she simply watches, a mutilated and ugly figure lost to the fog of her own memories.

There is almost no where else in Beqanna that has remained untouched by the gods. And if she can't have her Jungle, then by god, she would have her field.

A grullo mare appears along the perimeter not far from Scorch, and her arrival snaps Scorch from her reverie. Allowing the figure some time to adjust to her new surroundings, the once-fire sister lowers her head and pulls idly on the grass; but it is not long before the baroque mare closes the distance between them, dragon eyes a gentle roiling red-yellow - reminiscent of the tattoos which once covered her hairless, burned body.

"Hello," a blunt greeting shot from cracked lips; not smiling, but not firmly set, either. "My name is Scorch." For a moment, Scorch glances around the grullo mare, having smelled the distinct scent of a filly on the mare, but not seeing one. "Is there a little one with you?" It is a prying question, but her heart clenches in anger at the thought that this might be the mare who left Philomena alone in the Den - but the surge of emotion passes quickly, for the scent of filly on this mare is far too fresh, and she supposes that that same scent is on her, too. "Mine is at home," she says. "Nerine, I should say."

Scorch

Once Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

Oof.. I seriously never shut up
    [Image: scorch2.png]

If she were new to Beqanna, this mare might frighten her. It is a testament to the weirdness that Beqannians learn to put up with over the course of their lives that after a while, nothing causes more than a blink of surprise anymore. This is the case when the grulla mare notices the casual approach of the other mare; she is grateful for the long moments of the mare's approach that give her a chance to take stock of the stranger, but while curious she is not frightened or repulsed. What could have caused her to become so bald and scarred? Was she once a color, or more, some sort of galaxy-color like her foster-siblings?

She offers the stranger a small smile at the greeting. "Hello, Scorch," she responds to the first, and wonders if the mare got her name before or after she was burned. Because scars that all-encompassing can only be one thing, really. So was she named Scorch because of the way she looks, or does she look that way because she is Scorch? It's a circle and she turns it over in her head and over and over and over until the mare interrupts her thoughts with new words. Now Sloene gives a tilt of her face, silver eyes firmly meeting the red-yellow of the mare. Judging, silent, careful; it is a prying question and a small part of her can't help but wonder why she would ask. To steal the child away? That's a worst case scenario but she allows herself to consider it for a long silence before slowly answering Scorch's question. "My daughter," she says quietly, "is in the playground. I'm not sure I trust everyone in the Field enough to bring my filly here."

She gives the answer because Scorch, too, smells of foal. Probably she doesn't need to steal another. The little mare shifts from one leg to another, exhaling a slow, quiet breath. "Sochi," she offers, thinking of the little dark girl, "Is why I need a home. Otherwise, I was doing well on my own." It's a little defensive but she is used to having to defend herself. No one else is going to do it. "And what does Nerine need? What is it all about? What kind of home will it be for her?" Maybe someday she will feel loyal herself, but she is afraid to commit to that. It's easier to select a place because it's good for the baby.

SLOENE
    Heda
    It's been a while since she had been here, last time may have in fact  been several years ago, when she first stepped down as queen. She was with Ivar then, and her life was threatened by the wolf of Sylva. But now everything has changed Ivar has since left her for the Nerinian queen and for what she presumed their child, and she was left to rule until darling daughter, Lepis came of age.

She comes alone, leaving her daughter within the safety of the kingdom, where Castile her partnering regent would hopefully be keeping a careful eye on the young queen as she further explored her kingdom while Heda was off recruiting. 

Her gaze wanders across the faces her wings folded neatly at her sides as she sifted through the many faces available, all of whom were occupied or crowded by other recruiters like herself. That is until two mares come into her view, she doesn't hesitate joining in the conversation, expelling a rather friendly, "Hello!" She smiles, despite the wavering smell, she isn't too fond of Nerininain women as of late considering their queen had stolen her ex-husband away. Despite that her tone remains neutral, there was no need to pick a fight. On the other hand, the grullo mare holds another familiar scent of a filly, she thinks of Lepis for a moment wishing she could have brought her along, so her daughter could brush up on her diplomatic skills, but she was far too young. "My little girl's at home too." she smiles, she can't help but overhear that they too were talking about their foals.

The mare asks of Nerine, Heda takes no mind to it and waits for the hairless Nerininian to respond before introducing herself, "I'm Heda from Loess, care to share a name?" She questions a friendly smile spread across her face.
    Go ahead. Laugh at the girl that loved too easily
    html by call

I hope you dont mind me butting in Smile
    [Image: dc9b5pd-da224f9b-4062-4ac8-924f-4dd26147...1Y8jmwEofM]
    Ex-Queen of Loess
    ・❥・

It is clear by the other mare's lack of response to Scorch's odd appearance that she is no stranger to Beqanna, a fact that sits well with Scorch. In her time, many women sought refuge from failed kingdomhoods in the Amazons, and found that refuge worthy enough to become their home. Still, there are no guarantees that anything of the like will happen any more; Nerine is not the Amazons no matter how hard it tries to be, and this woman does not seem to completely fit the role of refugee, either. Her eyes are strong; that is undeniable.

The grullo takes stock of Scorch's question, eyes guarded, a look that Scorch imagines has been on her own face once or twice. She cannot blame the stranger; it was an intimate question of her to ask. When the explanation does quietly come, however, she nods, appreciative of the woman's protective and forward thinking nature. "Of course. I would be hesitant as well."

While the nameless woman shifts her weight and exhales purposefully, Scorch stands still and focuses her energy on the mare, hoping that maybe her steadfast attention would help to ground her, to reassure her that despite her intrusiveness, she held no ill will or questionable thought in regards to herself or her filly.

A name is offered then, though it is not her own. Her daughter, the driving force behind her search for home. Scorch nods, smiles a small, quiet smile; she could not imagine having tried to raise her children outside of the Jungle, in a place where security and sisterhood were not guaranteed. Her mother's heart squeezes, begs to be able to give the grullo those same feelings of security and belonging. Nerine could well offer them, she knows - for is she not raising her own child within that kingdom?

"Nerine needs members, numbers, but not just of anyone. We're looking to create a kingdom reminiscent of the Amazons, where loyalty and camaraderie between members is more important than individual progress within the ranks." Her lava-like eyes hold to the other's silver ones, fragments of the moon captured in living iris. "For Sochi,  it is a place where she will have strong female role models, as well as individuals who are willing to help you raise her whenever and wherever you need."

"While I do think Nerine would be a good fit for you personally, I feel even more so that Nerine is the safest place to raise a filly as a single mother. And I'm speaking from experience," she offers, smiling genuinely, hoping that her words would not be interpreted as patronizing, although she speaks with a friendly and invested intonation. "Whether you decide to stay in the long run is up to you. Or if you come at all," she smiles again, her temper having mellowed immensely since her reincarnation. "I understand if there is another option that better suits you."

Coincidentally, at her closing phrase, another mare approaches them, adding her voice to their conversation. Scorch does not smile at this mare too, but does incline an ear and listen politely. She is new to the drama of Beqanna and hasn't the slightest clue that Isobell (a mare she never met) had seduced this other, pretty mare's husband. And if she did know about it, her reaction towards Heda would have probably been a little less reserved; her man had been kept, by god! But she does not know, so she does not scoff; instead, she turns to the mare who's name has been requested, and awaits a response.

Scorch

Before Scorch can answer Sloene’s question, another mare comes up to the group. The grulla mare takes a moment while she is speaking to take stock of the newcomer, considering though she keeps her eyes impassive while her thoughts flit through. It’s not fair to hold it against the newcomer that she’s pretty, after all, even if it is obvious how pretty she is, the gold and blue and wings against Scorch’s poor battered pelt and Sloene’s plainness. It’s not fair to look at the pretty mare and think only of how much her foster-siblings had left her out of – everything. So she smiles and nods instead.

Turning away from the pretty mare, she focuses on Scorch. The former Amazon makes a clear, compelling argument. Once, she had considered the Amazons; when Nera and Branka had raised them to send them to be Kingdom servants, the Amazons had appealed to her. She had even visited, though she hadn’t stayed; the Jungle hadn’t been her style and she had been too young with no reason to stay. Perhaps this new sisterhood would be enough different to hold her. It certainly sounds like a good place for the girl, anyway; Sochi could have sisters of some sort. Perhaps sisters she liked.

She is quiet, thinking, but turns her face towards the pretty mare again when she introduces herself – Heda. Sloene doesn’t know anything about Loess, but she doesn’t think they have the same history as Nerine-the-new-Amazons. Perhaps new would be better? Lower expectations. “Nerine sounds good,” Sloene says to Scorch, giving another quick smile before she looks again to Heda. “But tell me about Loess – I’ve not heard much about it.” Fair, Sloene reminds herself. It’s not okay to judge a Kingdom because it’s representative is pretty. Pretty people are not all crazy galaxy foals who aren’t sure of the duckling in their midst.

SLOENE

the more the merrier <3
    Heda
    Heda remains silent. Respectful when scorch speaks. It was true, a single mother could survive fairly well in a feminine based society, and a foal could thrive through female rolemodels in her life. But Heda, a queen regent, of her country, and single mother to the up and coming queen of Loess she has her bias. But she gives plenty of time for Sloene to look over Nerine before sifting through the pros and cons of Loess. "Yes, of course." Heda responds.

"Loess is a small yet growing kingdom. With its rolling hills, gorgeous canyons, and natural hot springs, I'm proud to say it's become quite the safe haven for the residents. But I can't truly capture its incredible scenery in words, so must come visit, it's truly breathtaking." She pauses her hazel eyes fixed upon Sloene. "Loess is built on a strong hierarchy of ranks with two branches, one of diplomacy and the other of war. We're more of a peace-oriented kingdom, and we are currently collecting many future allies. On the army end, we're relatively stable protection-wise." Her words are sweet as they flow out of her lips. "As for your little girl, I think she'd make fast friends with my little Lepis, and the other children in Loess. She would also have the luxury to explore a safe, and peaceful kingdom and gain knowledge of the land and many animal residents."

Her gaze meets Scorch and a friendly smile forms on her lips, before bouncing back to Sloene. Curious as to what kingdom Sloene would choose to make both her and her daughter's home.
    Go ahead. Laugh at the girl that loved too easily
    html by call
    [Image: dc9b5pd-da224f9b-4062-4ac8-924f-4dd26147...1Y8jmwEofM]
    Ex-Queen of Loess
    ・❥・

Sloene listens attentively, soaking up the information Scorch has to offer like a quiet and thoughtful sponge. Her response is short, which is fine by the rat-mare; she had covered her bases well, and agreed that she had left nothing requiring elaboration.

So, not smiling but also not unpleasant, she turns to watch and listen as the Loessian Queen gives her own spiel. She says plenty that does seem appealing, but ultimately Scorch knows that Sloene will only pick what is right for her daughter, and being that she was the only one present who knew her daughter, whatever she chooses will be acceptable.

"Whatever you choose, my friend, I think it would be fun and beneficial for us all to arrange an outing to the playground for our daughters." She smiles, a hard line, at both women in turn. Mina hadn't met many other girls her age yet, and by the way this conversation turned out, the mare suspects that their respective daughters are as well mannered as their mothers.

There is more she could say - that Nerine also has a peace and war caste, and that it too is aesthetically pleasing - but Scorch felt that redundant and frankly petty of her to say. Sloene is not new to Beqanna; she would know that the land held animals, trees, beauty, just as all the lands did; and she would also know that Nerine is well protected by its warriors, and well represented by its diplomats, as all the kingdoms are.

So instead, she utters only: "But now, I think that choice must be made."

Scorch

I can't make myself write this post I'm so sorry. Sad Sloene thinks Loess sounds nice but she's going to take Sochi to Nerine. But she'd love for the girls to all have a playdate. Wink