• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i'm not the devil but i won't be your hero. || ALL
    You're looking at an absolute zero;
    I'm not the devil but I won't be your hero.
       The time had come, and time had not been easy on him.

His immortality had escaped him – washed away with the tireless, ravenous tide, adrift at sea as the fervent and blistering inferno of the once flickering flame within him grew within the hearth of his chest. No longer could he cling to his youth – nearly two hundred years had come and gone, and at last, age had begun to set in, drawing subtle creases beneath the darkness of his crimson gaze, around the rim of his dark lips and along his jaw. The fierce and furious flame often tired him, and he yearned for tranquility, for solace and quiet – the once King, the watchful Overseer was tired, and as the mending wound etched into his left cheekbone inflicted by Nayl was a fierce reminder of the tireless tension and emotional strain of bearing the burden of leadership between the ridges of his shoulders.

As his dark and storming gaze searches the frothing tide, watching the waves hungrily pull at the rhyolite-laden shoreline, he is silent, contemplative – but there is no restlessness within his chest; no hesitance or apprehension. Tephra had been carved by so many, and he knew it would carry on long beyond his own time – it would be forever etched into the history of a unyielding time, relentless, and there is no worry weighing his mind that Tephra no longer needed him – that perhaps it had not needed him at all.

His voice carries in a loud bellow through the thick and stifling humidity of the volcanic island – he had loathed it, once, but the scent of sulfur and the constant heat of the bubbling, pluming volcano had become a part of him. A part of all of them. His heart is weary because time had made it so, but it is filled with warmth at the thought of those who called Tephra their own, just as he did. The memory of Tantalize curled up against the broadness of his chest, with unborn life blossoming within her womb, pushes him to do what he must – he cannot bear the burden any longer; he craves simplicity and to be by her side, to savor what he had so often taken for granted in favor of leadership.

No longer.

Time – unyielding, it would wait for no one, and he would not be so foolish as to let precious memories slip away.
    Not again.

He is quiet, waiting, as each come forth from the dense, swaying vegetation of the grassland, watchful and anticipating what he might say. There are some that might see it coming – there are some that might not; there are some that he might not yet know at all and there are some that might not yet know him. Alas, when the fading sunlight touches the rim of the horizon, bathing the steppe in auburn light, his rumbling voice rises, echoing in the thick and heavy air of sunset.

”Brother and sisters,” he pauses, ”the time has come for me to step down. Tephra is a part of me, as it is a part of you, and I am old – I am old, and I am tired,” he muses, the faintest of smiles touching the darkness of his whiskered mouth. ”it is time for another to carry the heart of Tephra with them, to bring us closer to greatness and security. Your Head of War, Ellyse, will carry Tephra as the Overseer, to guard and protect the heart of the volcano and all that lie within the border.”

And then, quietly, softly, ”It has been a pleasure serving you.”
    OFFSPRING
    another zealot with the weight of the fucking world.

Okay, so. Originally, Radar was meant to take Tephra with Warrick, BUT we all know how hectic life can be and for now she has asked to be passed for the promotion. Tephra is ready to be passed on to someone else. I am ready to move on with my character development with Offspring and take him elsewhere, and Sii (Dahmer) and Cal (Longclaw) currently have kingdoms/territories of their own - thus, Ellyse is Overseer, but only temporarily. :| Much like Cal, I'm an open book. Show your activity, your desire to lead Tephra, and Tephra will be yours!
    Ellyse
    I have the tendency of getting very physical,
    so watch your step 'cause if I do you'll need a miracle.
      She had not been expecting it.

He seemed a quiet and unwavering presence, a part of Tephra as much as the rumbling, effervescing volcano, but alas, he had grown tired of the proverbial crown of thorns he wore just as Magnus had before him. He came to her swathed in darkness, as the celestial sky overhead bathed the grassland in a splendor of starlight, and he had asked her to bear the very burden he carried – a weight she had never desired, but he asked it of her with such weariness within the rumbling baritone of his voice that she could not refuse.

She preferred action to word, she preferred war to armistice – but she would bite her tongue, if only to preserve the strength and heart of the volcanic island she called her own (but for how long, she could not promise him).

When he does call forth the many that reside within the island, her heart is hammering roughly, raggedly within her chest from the sheer adrenaline. She is quiet, observing those that stand before him, and soon, her as well, as her gilded legs carry her to the hillcrest upon which his dark and towering presence is positioned. The soft ocean breeze caresses her skin, weaving through her finely preened feathers, but her mind is elsewhere, focused upon each face that comes forward to listen – to take her, or to spurn her, she cannot be certain.

The salty brine of the sea soothes her, draping her ivory forelock over her healing, but gaping eye socket, while her single hazel eye searches what lay before her – seeing it in a different light; with a distinct perspective.

She can already feel the weight of the burden settling onto her own shoulders; she can feel the intensity of each curious stare. She had always been around, wandering the shoreline, watchful for intrusion with her shapely muscles coiled for battle, but she had never delved into diplomacy before - the idea of it is enough to stir bile into her throat, but she swallows her doubt, instead wearing a façade of stoicism - searching for Dahmer among those before her; seeking the warmth of his gaze to soothe her wildly beating heart.

”I will serve you to the end of my own ability,” she says quietly, though her voice carries with the wind of the sea, and though her heart is thundering within her chest, she is rife with confidence – with conviction that his faith had been invested in her; she would not let him down. ”and in time, I will seek a successor. Prove yourself to be loyal, to be worthy, and the governance will be your own, should you accept me in the interim.”
    You want to stay but you know very well I want you gone;
    you're not fit to fucking tread the ground that I am walking on.

TLDR: Offspring is retiring, Ellyse is taking over until someone proves themselves enough to take over. Heart Come one, come all! I've got some drama in store in the meantime .. Big Grin

Also: Reply IC but let me know in an OOC note if you’d like to be considered for Overseer!

A call rings out through the lands.  Beckoning the residents to gather from wherever they had been.  Halting whatever task they had been consumed in.  Her carmel and cream crown rises from where she grazed lazily.  Twisting her ears in the direction of the voice.  It is a deep voice and the recognition of it causes a shiver down her spine.  Golden flecked eyes watched as equines arrived from all corners of the kingdom.  Trailing across the open field to gather around.  Her own limbs did not move her.  They remained frozen to the earth beneath her.  In her mind she knew that one day they would meet again.  After all she did call his kingdom home.  Maybe she had naively thought she would go unnoticed.  

As more continued to pour into the heart of the land she wondered what was going on.  Navy eyes watchful for Rou, if he should pass near by.  Curiousity began to pull her forwards.  She weaves along the same trail as the other before her.  Coming up from behind  the group, attempting to conceal her small frame within the masses.  They look to the ruler of Tephra who has begun to speak to them.  Announcing his leave and appointing another temporary ruler.  A tilt to her delicate crown as she looks to the light colored mare.  She had no objections nor offered her own services.  Her kindness caused her to be unsuited to rule such a kingdom.  It had been less than a year since she had been invited to reside here so she knew very few members.  Though she was willing to greet newcomers and residents alike.  The most she could offer the kingdom was internal support...

AuroraElis

Not all that Glitters is Gold

Ooc: Aurora would not be suited for overseer but she's more than happy to help out Smile just PM me or come find her if you have a need.  Otherwise she will continue to meet ppl
    CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
    & SATISFACTION BROUGHT HIM BACK
    A call sounds for them all to gather ─ the ambassadors, the army, the guard, and those that they all protect ─ and the import behind it is nearly impossible for Dahmer to miss. It's not often that Offspring requests the presence of the entirety of their congregation. His heart beats a little faster than is normal, his anxiety spiking with the thought that something bad may have happened. Something like Carnage's lair. Something like war. He has never shied from the fight, never betrayed those he had pledged himself to ─ Dahmer had been raised a soldier, a Commander, above all, and if it was war on the horizon, he would be beside Ellyse to lead the charge.

His turquoise eyes spot the champagne silhouette of their son across the hilly expanse and Dahmer calls to him sternly, herding the boy towards Offspring's call, though Smoak had already been on his way there, ever the socialite. The boy, teetering on the edge of two years old, had shown interest in fighting and in diplomacy. He had learned to be confident (verging on cocky, admittedly) and has made his parents immensely proud.

Dahmer reaches his dark muzzle out to the bone plate on the side of Smoak's withers in greeting and the pair travels the rest of the way side-by-side, until Offspring and Ellyse come into view, surrounded by a smattering of Tephra's residents. Dahmer's lips twitch upward into a small smile as he watches her, the capable Head of War beside their Overseer. Smoak nickers to Mom quietly, though understands the importance of this meeting and so remains silent at Dad's side.

Offspring's confession, and subsequent abdication, are unexpected. His brows shoot upward in surprise, though not in his choice of successor ─ Dahmer knows in his heart that Ellyse is the correct choice, that she has dedicated herself entirely to Tephra longer than any of the rest of them. He suspects that she is overwhelmed with Offspring's choice, can hear the barely-audible quiver in her voice as she addresses them, and the blue-eyed beast ensures that his eyes stay locked on hers for support, steady and secure.

Stepping forward, much as he had the last time Offspring had called a meeting for Tephra (though with much less hostility), the black thoroughbred turns his gaze to the fiery black stallion and lowers his head to him silently. He holds his head low for an extra beat in wordless veneration for the stallion who had welcomed him back to the volcanic island with open arms.

And after he has paid his respect to Offspring, Dahmer swings his head towards Ellyse and lowers it just the same, the hint of a smile touching his lips as his blue eyes gaze upon her hazel one.

"My Queen," he whispers warmly, before stepping back to quiet an exuberant Smoak, who has begun to prance in place with a huge smile just for Mom.
    Dahmer
    image © celestiene
    Diable Rouge
    >
    He had been patrolling the kingdom when he had heard the call. It rang out for miles and miles, until the wind carried it to Diable Rouge's ears. He figured it was very important, because although Offspring was a fantastic, watchful leader, he often kept to himself. He was quiet, reserved, and the chaser had only seen him a few times in passing. 

When he arrives, most of the kingdom is already there. Two-toned eyes scan the crowd for his beloved, and when he spots her, he meanders over, gently touching her shoulder with his muzzle. His thick body presses against her delicate physique, and he turns two attentive ears towards Offspring.

The announcement sends a wave of shock throughout Rou, and his heart skips a beat. Hushed whispers ripple through the crowd; Offspring was stepping down as Overseer. Diable is not opposed to change, but a warning would've been nice - he enjoyed working under the black stallion, he liked how he ruled his kingdom and respected him greatly.

"...Ellyse will carry Tephra as your Overseer..." 

He smiles. Ellyse, the golden beauty that had brought him here, who had so kindly introduced him to his home...the first and only one he had ever had. He looks over to her; she had changed so much since their first meeting, she looked like she had been to hell and back with her missing eye and scarred bodice. While they hardly talked anymore, he was proud of her - she loved Tephra with every fiber of her being, and would serve it well.

When Offspring finishes and the meeting is adjourned, Diable Rouge gives a respectful bow of his head to the former leader of Tephra. Everything seemed to be changing all at once, but he understood that sometimes, the time is just right for retirement. Then he looks to Ellyse, giving her the same goofy smile he had upon their first meeting. 

"Congratulations," He says, looking around him. "You're perfect for the job. And if you need anything...anything," He emphasizes the last word, nodding his head and raising his brow. "Don't hesitate to let me know, my Queen." He bows to her as well, but for longer this time. Then, he turns, following Aurora away. 
    in the eye of a hurricane, there is quiet.

ooc: Diable Rouge would like to be considered, and will do whatever it takes to be Overseer, although he is not opposed to anyone else more qualified doing it. Smile

LONGCLAW

-I close my eyes, ignore the smoke-

The blue devil feels cheated.

Newly returned from travels abroad, Longclaw slinks past the stifling fingers of the Tephran forests and makes his way towards the calling. It doesn’t matter in which order he filters in, others have already joined and just there -  he can see Offspring waiting for the rest. Offspring, the only King he’s ever known and yet, never known.

The guard watches him now with focused interest.

“I am old,” He tells them all, a fact Longclaw cannot deny while his own eyes supply the truth of it. The beginnings of disappointment slowly fester in his heart. Had all his time here been nothing but a waste? Warrick - gone. Ellyse as Overseer. Offspring leaving. He will come to see this all pass and yet … not once has he been approached for an extension of familiarity.

Tephra could not care less who she sheltered. He’d tried; Dahmer had gathered his brothers-in-arms once and Longclaw had taken it as guidance. Levi the heir, Diable the blind; both had come to know him and his mettle. But those who he constantly raised above the rest? “Do I even exist to them?” He wonders, listening halfheartedly to Ellyse give her acceptance.

The blackness in his gut grips him hard. A familiar body passes by him, (Diable, the bloody roan) and it snaps him to attention with stoic focus. “I serve the guard, so now I serve you, Queen Ellyse.” He states mildly after his peer has left, dipping the dark curve of his head with silent respect. The time for irritation could wait. There were horses about, others were watching. In reverence his eyes tip aside and so his face follows, eagerly filling his vision with the aged King he admired so.

“Will you be staying in Tephra, Offspring?”

OOC: Longclaw is content to remain as-is! He's just salty bc Offspring never became his bff
    [Image: sScEgld.png]

tantalize

She says she's ashamed

And can she take me for awhile

Can I be a friend

We'll forget the past

The day comes quicker then she expected. It seemed like just yesterday they had left Sylva with smoke in their lungs and heavy confessions on their tongues. She wouldn’t change what happened for anything. The fear, the torture (the strip of removed skin slowly healing along her backside), the humility. In the end, it had led her to a greater happiness then she could have ever expected. A life with him, to love and be loved.

Winter barely seems to touch the ashlands and so her coat remains sleek and shiny. It seems to only add to her glow, the tangled tresses of her mane darker and longer. Smooth and soft. The gentle curve of her expanding barrel, hinting already at the life growing within. A life created of love, true love. Real love. She had failed her children in the past, the last one most of all. This time… This time was different. Although she still doubts her capability as a mother, she can’t help the stirrings of excitement that flutter within her breast.

This child was different. She can feel it, created from such burning intensity. Such heat and fire. Although she does not voice her suspicions aloud, she suspects that she may finally give birth to a son. The way the foal feels in her belly, the way it responds to her soft voice and encouragement. This secretly pleases her as she thinks it will greatly please him. Their son.

When he had confessed his weariness, she had already known. Having carried the struggles of the crown, she knows intimately how heavy it can be. How hard it can be. She would have stayed by his side regardless. If he had ruled till his death, she would have been there till he took his last breath. However she is quietly relieved that he has made this choice. To take this burden away from him, to focus on their family. It still feels so strange, that her life has come to this. That a happy ending had been awaiting them both after all.

She stands a bit away from him, letting him gather the others. This was his moment. She would not draw anything away from that. It is only after they have taken the news, after Ellyse is named successor, after they have commented for better or for worse… Only then does she finally take her place at his side. Her muzzle runs affectionately against the deep dark blackness of his broad side, coming teasingly to his neck and lipping lovingly at the tendrils of his raven mane. Already he seems lighter and her own pride is evident, shining brightly in the depths of molten gold. Pressing the rounded curve of her pregnant stomach closer to him, she gives her familiar faint smile towards Longclaw. She doesn’t know him, she doesn’t know any of them really. But she expects she will in time. ”We may stay a little longer.”

It wouldn’t make sense to take a long trip now. Although perhaps young at heart and aging gracefully, she was not a spring chicken either. Being pregnant now, she would not take chances like a long trip somewhere else. Besides, although they had not discussed it, she doubts he is ready to leave the place he has come to love. Remembering how hard it had been to leave the jungle for good, even after she had given up her position. Although she misses the rolling hills, rocky cliffs, and the stormy skies of Nerine…For her childs sake and her love… She will stay.

@[Offspring]

She is late to the meeting, but, like they say, better late than never.

She also would have to admit that she wasn’t really good in this kingdom thing. Back in the Gates it had been different, but she had been young and unaware of so many things. In truth, she had been more devoted to her home back then than what she had been these past few years.

The time she had spent up the volcano alone had her realise that. With the volcano mapped out in every detail, it was now time truly and fully devote herself to her home. Once again, better late than never, right?

Only one time before she had been at a kingdom meeting in Tephra, and that time her father had handed over the throne to Lucrezia. It had also been the last time she had seen her father, Magnus had soon after disappeared without a trail. Amore could only hope that he was safe and sound and had found happiness. Maybe he had found her mother and baby sister.

She liked that thought.

Amorette is just in time to hear Offspring address them all, and appoint a new Overseer. Another fancy word for leader. She would have to admit that she knew neither of the two – Offspring and Ellyse – very well, but that was all to blame on herself. From her spot near the back she offers the newly appointed winged queen a nod with her head. Introduction would have to come later.

Her eyes travel around, looking for the familiar form of Levi. The brown sabino male was the only one she actually knew well. He now stands at the same spot she once had stood. Amore could only hope that her friend wouldn’t lose his father like she had. Well, that was if the relationship between father and son was as well as it had been between her and Magnus.

Amorette

Quand on n'a que l'amour.