• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  everyone I know goes away in the end,

“What have I become, my sweetest friend?
    Everyone I know goes away in the end."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The number of times everything has fallen to pieces only to half-way rebuild itself could not be counted. Perhaps it was to be expected when you lived far too many lifetimes, that you would endure that much more than the average being. And while she never thought it would have happened, every time she broke she became stronger. To go from the delicate porcelain-doll she had once been – once smooth and unmarred, and then to the ever-building spider-web of cracks that Dhumin started and everyone else had finished – to whatever she was now was something she had never imagined. She would not claim to be now unbreakable, nor has she hardened herself to the rest of the world in some attempt to save herself. She was just as vulnerable as she has always been, but now with the knowledge that nothing – not even death – was going to be the end of her.

If ever there had been bitterness harbored in her heart it didn’t show. The edges of her lips always seemed to hold the ghost of a smile, and while there may be melancholy hidden in the shadows of her soul there was certainly no anger. She had every reason to be; she was riddled with scars, some that could be seen and some that remained internal. The black, jagged crack across the top of her head that for the most part remained hidden by her white forelock was a constant reminder of when her own daughter had turned on her – the first time that she had tasted death. The scarred sockets that had once held eyes sat like gaping, depthless holes, and she can hardly remember what it had been like to see, having been surrounded by darkness for so long.

The scars across her heart were deeper and more confusing, and sometimes she can’t remember who left which ones. And yet it beats nonetheless, pulsing on its own just as easily as it always had, and often she does not notice the dull ache that sometimes fills her chest. The white mare steps into the meadow, the path so familiar beneath her feet that she does not even need eyes to know where it leads. So much of Beqanna has changed, yet there were small parts of it that remained the same. It takes her directly to the lone oak that she often stood beneath, and she can hear the way the dry leaves above her rustle in the autumn wind. There is a crispness in the air, one that is only evident this time of year. It is perhaps the only time that she misses her eyes – the fire-colors of the leaves had been one of her favorite sights, rivaled only with the stars on a clear night and the gray light of dawn that met each new day.

A slender shoulder leans against the broad trunk of the tree, her delicate ears flicking back and forth as she catches bits and pieces of conversation. Rarely did she venture into the heart of the meadow anymore, but instead often stood here, simply listening. Most did not notice the ghostly white mare that stood alone on the hill.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________

R Y A T A H
    you could have it all, my empire of dirt

Find

The scent of her caught the wind, and he was without out a doubt, sure that it was just his mind playing tricks on him. Except that it wasn’t in his mind.

The old King races to where he knows the scent will take him—all the memories haunting him and keeping his old body live. There were none who now lived that would remember his time in the Dale, before or since that. None except for her.

The wars. When Craft had gone insane—when Coke had abandoned his post and given the throne to lesser men…. Covet’s dissent into madness. All that and more… Murphy, Katana, Dempsey. She would know them all. And yet, she never saw anything.

Not really anyway.

Ashley moves quickly, coming to a skidding halt when he sees the grove of trees ahead. The land that was all that remained of the old world.

The scent thickened here, and he slows, moving purposefully, dampening the sound of his step as he approaches the grand oak from the opposite side. He does not bother to introduce himself; he does not need to.

“Beautiful weather we’re having…and all that.”

ashley
    I walked the path, it led me to the end.
    “What have I become, my sweetest friend?
    Everyone I know goes away in the end."

Faintly, a dry leaf crumples.

A delicate ear swivels to the side, her somehow still-lovely face swinging in the direction of the sound, a fruitless action but one born of habit. Years of being without sight had heightened her other senses, and there was little that got past her. The breezes changes, and the scent that enters her nose brings a knowing smile to her face. Immortality had kept her relatively ageless, but the very act of smiling - a true, genuine smile - seemed to melt the years away. "Ashley," his name is a murmur on her tongue, the taste of it so sweet and familiar. She cannot recall the last time she ran into an old friend, or even an old enemy. Everyone that she had ever held dear had long since vanished. 

She does not hesitate to close the space between them, and without even waiting to gauge his response she presses her small body against his, her pale white lips finding a spot to brush sweetly against his shoulder. "Do we dare even count the years since we last spoke?" A quiet laugh breathes between her lips, shaking her head and stepping back. Without even realizing it, she had missed him. He had been one of her only allies when she first was placed as Queen of the Dale, a position that had been thrust upon her by Carnage. He had gifted her with infrared vision when she lost her eyes. He had become an integral part of her past, and honestly she can hardly believe he's here. "You're still here, though. Why?" She asks, because it is a question she constantly asks herself. Why is she still here, when everything is gone?
    RYATAH
    you could have it all, my empire of dirt
    I will let you down, I will make you hurt.
    « Next Oldest | Next Newest »