• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Journey continues...
    Ebony tassels dance upon her sleek hide as flints strike the path she follows.  Nares take in scents of travelers before her.  Pillars continue at a steady pace since exiting the field...
    This new land has a taste about it she has never took in from her previous adventures.  Satellites thrusted forward in interest of the new land.  Globes scanning vigilantly for danger.  At this pace she hopes to not attract attention in a way that offends its residents that she means to intrude upon their home.  She will remain in the shadows and as quickly as she came will disappear...
    .:.Dancing Neon.:.
    — find what you love and let it kill you —

Few entered into this land without Magnus knowing about it. When he was not in the field, he was wandering the borders. His schedule had become the one he had maintained in the Gates, and something about the familiarity was helping to burn back the edges of his depression. He rose at dawn when the fog crawled out from the base of the volcano, when the sky was dim and the only sound was the soft exhales of breath from Tephra’s sleeping residents. He liked this hour best and often indulged in spending a while wandering amongst the vegetation and horses before he turned his nose toward the border and beyond.

It was rare for him to still be here in the afternoon, like he was now, but he was glad that he was when he saw the mare wander across the border. One ink-dipped ear flicked forward in curiosity as he considered her, wild looking and foreign. When he felt confident that she posed no threat, he shifted his weight and began to pick his way over toward her, navigating around the thin fingers of magma as they ate their way through the landscape. When he had drawn near, he dipped his handsome head in greeting, his smile both crooked and charming. “Hello there,” he stopped and gestured around them. “Welcome to Tephra.”

The land was, like her, wild. Nestled beneath the foot of the volcano, it was not a land for the weak of heart or the anxious. In that, it reminded him of the jungle. Still, those who could brave the bite of sulphur in the air and the fear of smoke plumes when they crawled into the air were richly rewarded. The volcanic soil was rich and teemed with bountiful life, the vegetation lush and plentiful. He did not love it, not fully yet, but he was growing fond of it. He brought his gold-flecked gaze back to her. “My name is Magnus.”

magnus

[Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    The morning fog having subsided and the dew drops vanished in the heat of the noon hour her paced had slowed.  She much preferred the time between dusk and dawn... It suited her best.  Her breathing was labored a bit as she slowed... This air she 'twas not used to.  Her pelt blended in the shadows of the trees.  Peering out into the open meadow her dark globes searched for danger.  Nothing immediate caught her attention so she lowered her muzzle to the forest floor. Nipping of bits of forge as satellites twisted with alertness...

She flickered her long ebony tassels ridding her flanks of pests.  Her pelt unblemished from her keen senses and respect for others boundaries... Traveleing mainly at night she avoided most interactions.  She didn't go searching for conflict neither.  Her globes eased closed as she rested for the time being.  Satellites still scanning for trouble if it came.  Her camouflage in the shadows was her best chance of being undetected...

But another enjoyed the shadows as much as she.  Though he was not as well hidden as she.  A pelt of fire and ebony that shimmered in the light.  A beacon that awakened her senses.  She stood still for the moment hoping maybe he had not detected her... The wind direction 'twas not in her favor however.  Her crown dipped and satellites rotated slightly.  Her globes rested upon the figure moving nearer.  She was not in the mood to flee and for some reason she felt she had not to worry.  

The silence of the shadows around her broken as his tones broke loose.  She had not known where she was nor whose lands she trespassed upon.  His scent though was familar to that of the beaten trail she followed.  She guessed it was his trail and his lands where he patrolled the borders.  She dipped her head in greeting.  

"Greeting M'Lord. I do not mean to disturb ye in thy home"

She stayed within the shadows of the trees not knowing how welcome she was to stay in the land.  Her curiosity of the sights and smells consumed her.  Her past homes were open plains, brush and deserts.  Never before had she felt thy warmth of the land melted beneath her flints.  Would she find what she seeked here or be cast back into the shadows that she has become accustom to...?

"I am Neo"

She was a wanderer. That much was certain.

His expression turned slightly puzzled, scarred lips pressing together in thought, at her language. It was unlike anything he had heard, at least in quite some time. He found it pleasant though, and at least not a threat, and rolled his shoulders in acceptance. “It’s of no concern,” he said, dismissing her apologies. “And it is certainly not a disturbance. I enjoy having the company of travelers.”

For a moment, he glanced around, taking stock of the land, quietly surveying his home before turning his attention back to her. It was difficult, nay impossible, to turn that part of him off. He was a leader in this land, and it was his responsibility to ensure their safety, to look after and fight for their protection.

Still, what he saw was quiet, peace, and so he flicked his tail and turned his gold-flecked gaze back to the mare in front of him. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Neo.” She smelled of the wild, of the lands outside of Beqanna, even this latest iteration of it. “Where do you come from?” he asked, his pulse thudding in his veins at the idea of adventure, at the idea of all the new sights unfolding around him.

He dismissed them though. Such fancies were, at least for now, not for him.

“Would you like to see more of Tephra?” he offered as he noted the concern, the way that she hid within the shadows. The land was too beautiful, too wild, to be viewed from the border. It could only be truly appreciated like the ocean: immersion. “I would be happy to show you around if you are interested.”

out of the blue out into the loneliest place that you'll ever know
    I carried the world just as far as I could but the damage had taken its toll

Dark globes sparkled with interest upon his talk of exploration.  She thirsted for knowledge of all types.  She found these earthly lands as fascinating as the starry skies.  Her crown dipped in acceptance of his offer to view such things up close. Twas not an opportunity she could let pass.  Pillars moved forth out of the shadows of the border feeling confident his intentions were not harmful.
    Satellites took in the curious tone of his questions asked.  She pondered which answer was suitable for her home lands.  Globes dimmed a bit at the thoughts of home.  Twas a complicated subject but she buried most of that in the deepest parts of her soul. Twas no one's burden to bare but her own.  A tight grin pulled her lips apart as vocals corded her responds...
    "Tis a many days journey M'Lord."
    Her answer was simple and open to interpretation.  She wasn't trying to hide anything from anyone it just wasn't very simple to explain. Maybe in time she could but right now an invitation was put forth on adventure...
    The sparkle returned to her globes as she scanned the lands.  The large mountain overcasting shadows upon groups gathered to feast on a lush meal of greens.  Tassels flickered with anticipation.  Nape twisted in his direction. Once again a melody escaped, 
    "'Twould be an honor to view your kingdom in your company My Grace."
    Crown dipped in respect.  She grew up in the strictest of families with much honor.  Her father, born of the stars, was royalty and demanded respect.  It was hard to believe she came from such a structured existence but that's what fed her curiosity... Her freedom... Her spirit.
    DANCING NEON
    and i felt closer to the stars for having loved you
    word count: 735 -accrued points:  -HTML by Call

Magnus was happy to accept her enigmatic answer. he had danced around questions long enough before that he knew when someone would prefer leave some things in the shadows. If she did not want to give him specifics of her home, then she was under no obligation to. “I am glad the journey was safe,” he said simply and then smiling roguishly, “but there’s no need to call me m’lord. We are not so formal here.”

He was, of course, royal to his blood. Born of the Queen of one kingdom and the King of another, raised a Prince in both. He had risen to Lord in his father’s kingdom, and then moved to an entirely different one where he had become Lord and General and later King. Over time, he had held many titles, been trained in the ways of royalty, understood the politics of them—but here, he was more guardian then King. He did not expect anyone to bow their head to him, simply to work with him for Tephra’s best interest.

At her acceptance of his offer, he drew forward, motioning her to his side, as they began to make their way further into the land. They did not benefit from the thick groves of trees that dotted the landscape of the other lands but they did not suffer for vegetation. The ground was covered with it, thickly coated with lush, green plants. He navigated her through the thickest parts of it, moving her closer to the crown jewel of their land: the volcano. It jutted upward, clouds circling its base, smoke pluming upward in constant warning. “It is magnificent, is it not?” he asked, gold-flecked eyes moving over to glance at her.

“So what brings you to Tephra today?” He wondered if she would sidestep this question too.

A smile pulled across her muzzle... A first since she got here. She could see in his expression, his movement and hear in his tone the passion he held for his kingdom.  She recognized the passion much similar to her sires for his.  It was comforting to see, to feel.  A quiet came over her body as stress was lifted.  She followed in suit to his movements.  Staying at a respectful distance and lagging a step behind.  His viewing landed upon the mountain, a volcano he spoke of.  She had never seen anything so massive, so empowering, so wild...

"T'is breathtaking M'Lord"

Her globes in awe as they neared it's vastness.  She wondered at its marvel in curiosity...

Pillars moved effortlessly upon the path he had chosen.  She may not be much to look upon but she was nimble.  Maybe it was her father's training he instilled in all of his soldiers.  Maybe it was feminine make.  She may be from ruling lines but she did not look it.  She had no powers, no gifts... Yet.  Her father granted those to only his best of warriors.  Those proven in battle and in loyalty.  Her free spirit clashed with his order so she ridded them both of the burden she was. Attention turned back to this land.  She liked living in the present, learn from the past but move forward with the knowledge to better the future

His cords once again rang forth.  A question she could answer easily.  A sheepish grin danced upon her expression...

"Why my pillars brought me here Your Grace"

She watched his reaction hoping for an entertained glance.  She hoped not to offend but she was who she was... 

Love me or hate me... But I am me and that's all I can be
    DANCING NEON

At her insistence of formalities, he merely smiles and dips his head. He supposed that she had her reasons for falling back on such habits; perhaps she found comfort in their familiarity, even when they were not necessary. He wasn’t sure her reason, but he was certain she had them and so he did not push her on the topic. Instead, he glossed over it and gave her a roguish grin. “It is, isn’t it?” He tilted his chin back so that he could take it all in, letting the sight of it wash over him. “I’m still not quite used to its beauty.”

He still remembered the first time that he had seen it, the exhaustion that had settled into his bones as he had trekked back into Tephra after he had climbed the mountain alongside Offspring to petition for it. He had been tired to his bones, but that fatigue had been softened by the triumph of knowing he could lead his people here, carve out a home for them in the instability that had racked all of Beqanna.

The first thing he had seen had been the volcano. The alienness of it, the power and grace.

Drawing himself back to the present, he focused on her, chuckling at her answer and rolling his shoulders. It was nothing more than he expected from the enigmatic mare. “Indeed,” he replied, the corner of his mouth twitching with amusement. It had been a while since someone had so stubbornly withheld information in conversation; thankfully, he found it more entertaining than frustrating.

“Do you have any questions for me?” he finally asked, letting go any notion of getting a straight answer out of her for the moment. Perhaps, he thought, she would prefer to be the one inquiring instead.

She kept pace with his stride, globes taking in the new sights.  She found an ease being next to his side.  A freedom to be herself in all the ways she was...
    She wickered in amusement of his entertained expression. She could be formal and informal all at the same moment.  She grinned as her true answer came forth,

My freedoms is what brought me to your kingdom Your Grace.  One such as myself cannot function under lock and key.  

She was not careless and wild, nor rebellious or defiant.  She appreciated order.  She could not however live where she felt she had to hide her true self.  She was open and honest once trusted...

Her attention though switch from the lands to the ruler in her company. Again his cords struck and a question of questions was propositioned.  She had one for the sire on the top of her tongue,

What does thee do for fun in your kingdom?

Her question was directed at him specifically... Not the other inhabitants.  Surely he found enjoyment in things beyond his rule.  Beyond his duties.  She could see a deepness in his soul that hid things, horrible things, things that may have changed his outlook on what life had to offer HIM and not what he had to offer life... 

Your deepest secrets are safe with me.  Happiness heals all wounds of the soul.  Find your happiness and heal

DANCING NEON

Her company is easy, and he finds that he does not mind it.

Even though she is enigmatic and he has more questions now than when they started, she is witty and entertaining and different from anyone that he is run across in recent memory. So he doesn't mind that she dances around his questions or that she stubbornly sticks to her formal language and unnecessarily formal titles. He just relaxes, shooting her a lopsided smile now and again, walking her around the land.

“Freedoms are not often appreciated,” he muses, looking upward at the fog that rolls off of the nearby volcano. “It is pleasing to hear that you recognize your own.” Sometimes he wonders if he is indeed free anymore or if he had given it up long ago. He could not remember a time before responsibility. The closest he had come was his youth when he was raised amongst vine and wildcat, but even then, he had not been the feral colt he had pretended to be. Even then he had been a prince of two different kingdoms.

There had been expectations, duties, responsibilities. Even then.

Of course, he doesn’t mention those now. Instead, he just rolls his shoulders and regards her when she responds with a question of her own. “For fun?” His lip quirked slightly. Fun was not often something that he gave to himself. He had too many things to take care of—too many things riding upon his ability to stay alert and responsible. Still, there were ways he let loose. “I rather enjoy running when I am by myself.” He took a few springy steps forward, shaking his tangled, matted mane loose before looking back at her over his shoulder. “Perhaps you’d like to see for yourself the land at a quicker pace?”

The words were said kindly but the fun challenge beneath them couldn’t be ignored.