• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

paint it black; smidge

I look inside myself
    The cold wraps itself around his dark form, the coat shaggy and tangled with burrs and clots of dried mud but at least he is warm. The chill reminds him of his solitude, icy fingers reach out to grip his heart in a callous clutch of pale fingers. This day is not unlike the rest. The large male wakes to stretch and rise from his warm cave like a woken bear. Yawning lazily and leaning to scratch an itch just out of his reach.

Feathered limbs move him down the small slop to the mouth of his home. Lior rarely ventured to the meadow in this weather unless it was a basic necessity. Hunger is what drove the dark stallion of this particular chilly day. Gray eyes are watching with mild interest as he must move through the small tufts of snow to paw away in an effort to reveal some frozen bits of grass.

Lips are currently tugging at some of the last remains of nourishment when from the corner of one eye is a small form tucked deep in the trunk of an ancient tree. Lior returns to his pursuit of food but he can not help but allow curiosity to get the better of him and so he must venture closer to the small furry leg that  is currently poking out.

Heavy feet plod over to poke his head down and in. His nosiness is met with the small, shallow breathing of a tiny girl. Lids fall and lift quickly in a rapid blink as he can not believe what he has found. Lior takes a step back but hesitates for a moment before he acts on a whim and gently lifts back his lips to grip the tiny filly (most are tiny compared to Lior but he knows that this little one should not be left alone in the base of a tree) by the scruff of her neck, like a little kitten. The cold had intensified by the wind chill and even Lior catches a shiver vibrate his bones before he is moving with the itty bitty filly in his mouth.

Lior is not sure if the child should awake or not, nor does he care much, but they are soon breaching the cave and Lior carries her up the small slope and inward where the cold and wind can not reach them before setting her gently down. Pewter pools watch carefully for a moment before determining he should curl up next to the little one in effort to warm her up. Limbs fold under the heavy frame before he lands with a low 'huff' to curl around the petite splotched filly, hoping he would warm up her small frigid body. For once, Lior is nervous and concerned for someone other than himself.
    And see my heart is black

This is better Smile

It had been one of the coldest nights she can remember, with the wind whistling through the trees in the dark. It was like evil witch fingers, feeling between each one and leaving hardly anywhere to hide from it. Our tiny girl has her hollowed out tree that she has made her sleeping spot, and at least it helps to shield some of it from clawing into her small and child-like body. Her body heat in the tight space is mostly beneficial, and her coat is very floofy and all, but still the cold seeps in. Still the wisps of the biting wind manage to find her now and again. She shivers and curls in on herself, grunting softly against the tension it brings.

When the wind dies down again, she gives a small sigh and tucks her nose close to her belly, flicking her tail so that it helps to cover her face. Though it doesn't do much in the way of warmth, she thinks maybe it might shield from the next onslought of wind. She is so tired. So, so tired. She had slipped in and out of sleep all through the night, but none of it is restful. All it seemed to do was go on and on forever, this cold winter night. At one point, in her exhaustion and between shivers, she almost wants to cry. Unusual for the typically cheery girl, but all she can think is how for once she wishes for a friend to cuddle with instead of this great tree. She loves her tree, truly, for the shelter it provides. However, it simply doesn't exude any heat like a friend might do. Her breath is warm against her own belly, but how wonderful would it be if she also had a friend to breathe against her, maybe even whisper to her and tell her it would be over soon? It would be better soon, she thinks silently to herself, encouraging herself with what she has. Slowly, she slips deeply into sleep at last.

She begins to dream. A world of nothing but white and a light, icy blue that covers everything. Everything is frozen, and the ground is difficult to walk on. Her ears are back in concentration to remain standing, eyes focused on the ground and her surroundings all at once. She passes by others, but they are motionless. Covered in the same light blue. Like frozen statues. Her heart beats faster. What could've done this? She walks between them and comes to face a foal beside its mother, both frozen and staring blankly at each other. She is staring back at them when she hears the wind begin to blow, but it doesn't sound like wind. It's different, like breathing, coming from somewhere behind her. Slowly, she turns. Just her head, to keep her footing. She sees something, between the trees, some distance away. Gusts of wind that look like smoke, forming.. Something.. Fingers, long and curling, with claws like a giant bird she'd seen once. Her blue eyes widen at the sight. The creature's breath comes again, weazing and sending a different kind of chill down her spine. It was coming for her. She can't see its face, and she doesn't want to. For what might be the first time, Smidge is afraid.

She spins to run, immediately slipping on the ice-coated ground. She starts to panic, small legs scattering over each other to regain balance. She fails at first, but eventually gains motion. Running and sliding between the trees, she finds her special hiding spot, and frantically slips in.

Outwardly, as the young girl sleeps, she twitches and breathing is rapid. In the dream, she is gasping for air, but hurries to quiet down. Eyes wide and darting around what little she can see from the entrance to her den. Silence for several heartbeats ensues. But then footsteps. Thud.. Thud.. Thud.. Closer, closer. The girl shudders, cold, struggling not to make a sound. She curls in on herself. Thud.. Thud. Thud, thud. A shadow stretches across the ground in front of the entrance. It's found her! And now she is trapped! A whimper threatens to escape from her but she swallows it, watching the shadow and waiting for that horrid creature to find her. She hears another sound along with the thudding footsteps.. A breath inhaling and exhaling.. Sniffing? Oh, no. She cringes, shrinking back as small as she can make herself.

The shadow looms closer and a large, black horse's nose appears, breath visible in the cold air. "Come, child. You must come with me." She blinks rapidly, startled at the voice, deep and masculine. Hoarse, even. All at once, she is relieved. It is not the creature that finds her, but a stallion. A HUGE one, she realizes as she pokes her head out from her hole in the tree and must look up higher than she ever has for any other. She doesn't know him, but she goes with him anyway, allowing him to scoop her up and whisk her away. How he doesn't slip and slide on the ice, she doesn't know. Doesn't care. He has saved her. Everything was okay now. An overwhelming flush of relief and security washes over her. He takes her far away, the icy world shatters behind them. Somewhere in the distance, the creature moans and groans. He must have killed it. Him, this giant ebony stallion. And she is ever thankful. He takes her somewhere safe, and finally she can sleep.

Sometime later, Smidgen wakes. Slowly, as she is so comfortable. Her lids are heavy, almost like they're glued together, unwilling to open. Beside her is something so warm and soft and firm, all at the same time. She burrows her face against it, fighting the need to awaken. Noo.. Few more minutes. She can't remember ever being this warm and cozy. Just a little longer. But alas, she can no longer sleep. Pressing against the warmth beside her, she lifts her small, slightly dished head and yawns wide, a squeak sounding and ending in a soft snort. Slowly, she becomes aware. Aware of the fact that it seemed not long ago she was freezing cold in her hidey hole. And her tree has grown fur and emanates warmth... But.. That isn't possible.. Is it? Leaked blue eyes reveal themselves to darkness. Not pitch black, but dim, and she comes quickly to realize she is in a cave. But, how- OH! She looks up beside her and there is a man staring down at her with steel gray eyes. A really big man! Huge and black, with giant ravenesque wings! But she can't bring herself to be scared. And she stays where she is, a tiny thing especially compared to him, curled into his side. So warm. Her voice is soft, a bit high pitched, but more musically feminine and still young in sound when she opens her mouth to speak. "Oh, hi! Umm, I'm sorry. Who are you? Where are we?" And how the heck did she get here, with him? There was something familiar about him, although she can't place it. Maybe that's why she doesn't find it totally terrifying to wake up cuddled next to a giant, strange stallion. Who is very warm. And cuddley. And she hopes he doesn't leave.

Smidgen!

Great Things come in Small Packages

OOC: Sooooo.... Idek xD I'm sorry for the novel, but I guess I was musey. Um. So! She had a nightmare, and Lior saved her from an evil ice witch with claws. She doesn't remember the dream. Or realize he was in it. Or remember him taking her from her den. Just woke up and is there xD hope you love it like I do! <3333

I look inside myself
    The child, the tiniest thing he had ever set his eyes upon, stirs and moves with the smallest legs in Beqanna. Lior barely feels her movement and only truly can contest to her waking state when she pipes up in the more pure voice that he dare ever be so privileged to hear.

It foreign when his lips split unknowingly into a small smile. The innocence she portrays after being stolen in the middle of night cannot help but soften the big burly male. "I'm Lior, tiny one." The vibration of his voice rumbles low in his chest as he responds clearly. "And I found you shivering in a tree. What is your name?" Astoundingly, Lior responds more with this dainty creature more than he has in weeks with any other creature. "I can return you, if you like." The dark male offers plainly as it is quite rude to just take horses from their homes while they sleep. Lobes are directed to the splashes girl as his heavy skull hovers towards her, his expression curious to her reply.

Lior watches her bright eyes, her smile, the way she offers up everything without fear. He finds himself enjoying the company of this little fairy and the most warmth he has felt in ages. She was the most curious thing he had seen in Beqanna for some time and hopes that she would consider staying a bit despite his somber and gruff demeanor but it the little one wishes, he would return her to her tree hollow.
    And see my heart is black

Eyes of different shades of blue are wide as they stare up at him, the dim light that reaches in from the cave's mouth reflecting in their depths. She doesn't quite know yet what to make of him and all of his ginormous glory, the black clinging to his coat like night on the sky. It never occurs to her to be afraid, not even a little, that she had awoken in a dark cave- alone- with a very large man. Afterall, he had sorta saved her from the coldest night she can ever remember trying to survive. He's like a hero or something! So she smiles sweetly at him as she waits to hear who he is.

And then he's speaking, and her smiling lips slowly fall open and her eyes transfix on him. His voice echoes on the walls of his home, the baritone reverberating in the space and in her little chest. Her heart quickens its pace at the sensation, and she almost doesn't even catch the words he's actually saying for the warmth that curiously spreads throughout her body. Totally in awe, the girl thinks she could listen to him talk forever. Suddenly though, his words register as he falls silent and she shivers at the thought of going back to her hollowed tree, alone.

Quickly, she shakes her head and burrows her fuzzy little face against his side, right in the crook of his shoulder and elbow. "No, no! I'm good, this is good! Thank you, um, Lior. I mean, I love my tree. It's comfy in there. But this is comfy too, and warm. Warm is so nice. You're sooo warm." She hadn't been looking at him, with her face nuzzled against him, but she falls silent as she realizes she was babbling. Embarrassing. Slowly, she pulls her face away and peers up at Lior once more, meeting his cool gray gaze. Gray like the stones of his cave, she noticed. She smiles again, softly, hoping he doesn't think of her as some silly child after all that rambling. "I'm Smidgen."

Smidgen!

Great Things come in Small Packages

Sorry for the delay!! <333