• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

thin skin / elastic heart [any]
    you won’t see me fall apart
    It's then she decides to wander.
    Perhaps it's in spite of her face - or because of it. She simultaneously wants to wipe it from the earth but also to scar it further, to make it a perfect mesh of rotted flesh scarred beyond all recognition. If she is too ugly to bear, she will be fully ugly. Wretched.
    But then again she is fully aware of what it's like to look upon it. To see, from one side, the soft skin of youth, the touches of immortality. To smile, knowing that in her peaceful youth she was still beautiful and charming. But then - the scar.
    Maimed.

Maybe it drove her realization. Maybe Beqanna's shifting landscape did. She realized - quite suddenly - that she'd never truly left the Valley. She was born there, she would die there, like her parents.

Not anymore, though. No one was going to die in the Valley. or the Dale. or the Tundra.
    And she suddenly realized she did not belong caged in one kingdom, refusing to leave. She had to stretch her (metaphorical) wings and explore the other kingdoms. She had to stretch her legs and cross the borders.

So she does, and she started with Taiga.
    THORUNN
    COVET x LIBRETTE
    Ruan
    He passed through the forest with growing ease, gradually becoming more familiar with the land over time. It was not so long ago he was doing this same aimless scouting with the wolves, his adopted family of sorts. It was just about the only thing he'd done there in the Valley, aside from watching over the sullen prince from a distance. He still caught himself thinking about him, worrying over how he was doing.

But it wasn't little Kilter he came across just then, but instead a vaguely familiar lass, as he paused a number of paces away. A stranger's distance. He thought he knew her, but at the same time was fully aware that he did not. An angry scar marred her youthful face, and somehow he didn't think that detracted from her natural beauty. He returned his gaze to her eyes though, it was never polite to stare. No, he didn't think he recognized her after all.

"Welcome," he said, almost a question. Mild curiosity glinted in his eyes, though they still lacked the glacial light of magic, dark and dull. Large pale wings at his side only covered the purple spots on his ribs, the rest still speckled across his spine in natural appaloosa fashion, breaking into the charcoal black that covered the rest of him.

His nostrils flared just briefly, but her scent was not familiar either. Still, something tickled in the back of his mind like he should know her. Perhaps she'd known his sister Morrigan; maybe it was just a child's memory toying with him.

"I'm Ruan," he said evenly. "Do you live here?" His voice lacked a tone of interrogation that perhaps he should have had for a stranger. If she were any sort of threat, he had faith Reagan would handle it.

"No, she does not," his voice slips lightheartedly through the trees as he carefully makes his way towards the pair. It had been many years since he had been face to face with the warrior he knew as Thorunn and though he would never be able to lay eyes on the mare again he would always recognize her scent. For she had been one of the first to show herself in the Valley when he had taken role as king with Eight's blessing. He would always remember her as one of the good ones. One of the neutral faces. One that never really had much to say but was truly as independent as a woman could be. It was something to admire and it was something he'd always remember about her.

"Hello Ruan," He comes to a stop beside the man, positioned a bit awkwardly at an angle towards him before turning his head slightly towards Thorunn. "And welcome, Thorunn. How are you these days?" His lips tilt slightly upwards in the form of a small smile. He doesn't know what has become of her, he doesn't know of the scar, her trials of survival. He simply knows this to be a mare he had once lived beside in a kingdom they had both called home equally. "Is there anything we can do for you?" He includes the we as here in Taiga he, Romek and Maribel hoped for a home that was equal. One where the residents would not feel any less than the other.

Yet most importantly, he worked to include Ruan most for while Demian had hid in the shadows overcoming illness and fatigue caused by the change in Beqanna, he had watched Ruan take the appropriate steps to ensure their homes survival and he admired it more so than he'd say. At least for now, as the Jaguar king was never one to allow one's potential and hard work to go unnoticed. At some point he would pull the other aside and let him know his thoughts. But until then he would stand by the other's side equally in greeting the mare Demian had once known and lived beside.

(ooc: welp. awkward writing :| but hi! hope you don't mind that i joined in!)
    Hostility of another kingdom did not occur to her - despite being marred by a random mare in the Meadow, her experiences were always somewhat neutral. Thorunn was not particularly imposing in stature and given that she could have easily been traitless (in fact, she's unaware that she's missing her ability to block mind reading because she never knew she had it) most regard her with a sense of comraderie. Small but muscular, the color of a penny, with the deep orange eyes of her father. Ruan approaches and regards her in a way that she mistakes as disgust, when really he's trying to suss out her familiarity. They both lived in the Valley once, she doesn't recall this because she can feel the pangs in her heart at his gaze.

Disgusted.

Thankfully, Demian approaches - and at first his words seem harsh. "No, she does not," at first sounds like a threat, a warning. You don't belong here, scarred thing, she hears, and again her heart plummets. Was this a mistake? Wasn't it always a mistake?

But she's torn from her thoughts by his eyes - have they always been missing? She can't recall. She finds herself staring into their void while he talks, almost unaware that his tone is actually welcoming and not at all angry.

Leave it to Thorunn to jump to conclusions.

"Demian," she pulls the name from air, surprised at herself. She nods to Ruan then, almost forgetting his look. "Yes, I am Thorunn, from Tephra. I...I was curious about the other lands. Not official business, curiosity."
    THORUNN
    COVET x LIBRETTE
    Ruan
    "No, she does not."
    The words slide into the conversation easily as Demian made his way to them. He greeted Ruan by name, stopping at his side. Ruan dipped his head in respect to the leader, though the action would go unnoticed by the man. It was the principle of the thing, maybe.

Ruan took a step back as Demian addressed the woman. He almost felt as though his leader was allowing him equal footing, and it only inflated his respect for him. But he knew his place, and positioned himself no further than Demian's shoulder. An old-fashioned manner, perhaps, but it felt right.

He kept his silence, watching the interaction passively. She seemed to recall Demian's name and it was clear they knew each other from another time. Then she introduced herself as Thorunn, though the name did not spark his memory.

"Welcome to Taiga, Thorunn. I hope your visit is as comfortable as your Tephra home," he welcomed her, then fell silent once again. He shifted awkwardly, not really sure if he should leave them to reacquaint themselves with each other, but feeling a sense of loyalty locking him at Demian's side. The stallion couldn't possibly need his assistance with anything, and yet he felt his place for this moment was right where he stood.

ooc: sorry, little rusty from being sick i think! so sorry for the wait!

What she initially mistook for hostility was a warm regard - silly Thorunn. She should have known better, that the other kingdoms would be just as welcome to her stopping by if the roles were reversed. Had they wandered into Tephra she would have been just as quick to usher them in.

But...now what? Here she was, deep in the belly of the beast, in a land that was neither a friend nor a foe. The leadership was just as spread and sporadic as any other kingdom. She noticed this, the initial surge to claim soon died down to a passive drone. Since they landed their place they've become little church mice, quiet and silent at Beqanna's feet.

"How did you come upon the name?" she asks, suddenly aware of how little she had to say to either of them.
    THORUNN
    COVET x LIBRETTE

now don’t you understand…that I’m never changing who I am?

The irony. Reagan hardly ever knows what to say to them either. It is a good act she puts up; a mask of impeccable porcelain that allows her to pretend that she is one of them. However, without her magic, she is. Here among the trees however, she is able to pretend that she is unchanged, eternal, and the mother of this forest. Full of life from the body of her son as he kicked against her distended tummy, she approaches Thorunn and Ruan, wondering what kind of confrontation could be such that the girl would think it hostile.

Reagan is curious. She does not know this girl, but the shimmering of her scar sends a shiver down Reagan’s back. She does not want to know what has caused such a devastating injury as to leave permanent disfigurement, but figures that she is either better for it, or worse. “Taiga is the name for a mystical forest at the top of the world,” she says. Reagan does not wait to be introduced, and as this is her party, she will interrupt if she wants to. “Precious and perfect, untouched or corrupted by embittered forces. Such is this place. The tiger has left these woods, but I assure you, the wolf is here to stay.”

She is unsure of Thorunn’s purpose here, and it puts her on edge. However, she manages to keep the bite from her tongue as she addresses the stranger, while logging in her mind that perhaps that she is not all of what she seems.

“My name is Reagan, and Ruan and I are the leaders here. What brings you to our home?”