• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

R E A G A N
    Ruan
    Her smile was contagious and he felt his grow in response as she pulled back to look him over, examining his wings. He hadn't asked for the damned things -had even denied the choice-, but he could concede their swift agility. They did look rather fetching, he supposed.

That alluring spark was back in her eyes as she flapped one of his wings. He chuckled, holding himself relaxed and still for her perusal, and watching her with a steady eye. She continued on around to his other side, rejuvenated with lively energy. Despite not really wanting the things, he was deeply pleased with her praise.

Held loosely, she slipped beneath one and settled in against him a moment. "Though now I see where they could have great advantages," she said with a wink, then a girlish giggle as she trotted away from him. He laughed aloud, enjoying yet another side of her she chose to show him.

He only waited a moment before he leapt to her side, eyes glittering with mischief as he tugged playfully at her mane and dodged a step ahead of her. The air smelled fresh and sweet, though he knew away from this bubble of heaven there were many in reality's hell. Everything was so easy here with her, so... right. Pieces of a puzzle locking in their proper places.

"The kingdoms are no more with this upheaval. So many have lost their homes," he said thoughtfully, peering out in the distance. He had already decided not to follow the citizens of the Valley on their conquest, and wasn't sure where he would go next. All he really knew was that he wanted Reagan there with him, if she would have him.

"Where will you go now, Reagan?"

now don’t you understand…that I’m never changing who I am?
    Reagan looked at Ruan, prepared to tell him about her new home situation, relieved that he had brought up the idea of togetherness all on his own. She had no wish to tether him to her, and yet with the sound of permanence on his lips, she felt her knees buckle slightly at the thought of a formal commitment. Two creatures who met by happenstance, suddenly thrust together in a combined lifetime achievement to go forth and conquer the mountain, their fears, their faults—and each other.

“I was approached by another. His name is Demian and he has offered me a home with a former Tundra leader and their family. I believe I—moreover, that we—can be a real asset to them. I have already pushed towards the mountain to intercede on their behalf. Will you come with me? Will you stay with me, and be mine? And perhaps, let me be yours in return?”
    Ruan
    A gentle warmth spread through him as her words sank in. After searching for his mother, and then longer still for his dear sister, he felt he'd finally found family. The one he had before was lost, never to return from their rest. Her magic had showed him their ends, their settling bones.

In her, he found a new family sprouting, blooming a rare and beautiful flower amidst the sundering of the lands they once knew.

A new life, in a new world.

"Of course I am yours," he said with certainty. "For as long as you'll have me. Perhaps even longer still, should I die and haunt your shadow," he teased.

His thoughts slid into darkness then, realizing what he said and what it meant. He knew from their unity that she had lived many generations, and would continue to do so. Immortal. Eternal. While he would naturally wither away in age. And die. Had she considered that yet?

He kept them slowly walking, clearing an uncomfortable lump in his throat and changed the subject. "So you like these people? You trust them?" Trust was an important factor to him, for his was a loyal heart. He didn't want to be found one day, standing up for the wrong person. Fighting for a dark soul. She knew this of him, and he put his faith in her judgement without question.