• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Come little children, I'll take thee away
    I'd told Da I was old enough to spend the night away from Mamá and from him. It had taken quite a bit of convincing, but I'd finally won him over; neglecting to tell him that my mother had refused the same request outright only hours before when I'd asked. It's fairly easy to ask them both separately since they never seem to talk about anything but the kingdom with each other anymore. It's fairly easy, growing up with parents like mine. They love me and they'd die for me, and I frequently misuse the fact that mostly they'd prefer to spend time with anyone but each other.

At least that's how I see it. And really, who am I to judge? The youngest son. The only son. I haven't even seen a full turn of the seasons, though my thin weanling coat has turned itself every color that nature provides.

It's these things that occupy my mind as I wander the too early morning through the sleeping Playground. I'd not slept - or if I had it was only in brief and unremembered interludes - all night, but adrenaline and youth keep me bright eyed as I pick my way forward on the path.

Ahead I see a pair of foals, their pied coats somewhat similar to my own in its patches of white and color. I wear my birthcolor, a bright copper bay with a shoulder-to-hip mantle of red-flecked white. My eyes are curious as I approach, peering searchingly with an eagle gold gaze. Despite the bald curiosity, my bright smile reveals my peaceful intentions - I only want to know if they've seen any wolves this morning. Raene and Marlyn swear they each battled a full wolf pack on their first overnight at the Playground. I'd suspected that they were baiting me in the way all older siblings do. Still, I am young enough and naive enough that I want to check...just in case.

I am sidetracked as I notice what they are both staring at. There's a third foal, curled up in the thicket.

"Hi!" I say, picking up my pace a bit so I arrive before the two paints poke the downed filly with their noses. "I'm Zai. Who're you guys?" And then, because I do want to know and it's hard to suppress humor, I look down at the winged filly. "Are you sleeping? It's basically noon now. You can wake up."

ooc: Zai doesn't have an account yet, but I wrote this and wanted to post it before I forgot!

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Come little children, I'll take thee away - by kahzie - 08-21-2016, 09:56 PM