• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

wolves in our own skin; raelynx

Wolves in our own skin, we're savages; we act so primitive.
    Oh, I should say no. I should definitely, definitely say no. Accepting his invitation would be so stupid, I don’t even have words to express it. His scarred skin is almost touching me, and there’s a wicked little edge to that grin that almost makes my skin crawl, or...I don’t know, tingle in a weird way. Not good exactly, but somehow not quite bad either.

Be smart, Dara. My dads would kill me if I wandered off with a strange man, especially one from the Cove, if he’s one of Khaos’s brood. And since he knows the name of the iron corpse, there’s a good chance he’s exactly that. Don’t be dumb. Doooon’t be dumb, Dara-girl. What kind of example would you be setting for the little floofs?

Ohhh but it’s the one place Grandma Quark wouldn’t take me. The one story whose setting I haven’t seen first hand. And I want to. God, I want to see. I’ve heard the story of how brightly Grandma’s fury burned, of how ruthless she was in pursuit of vengeance for my dad’s near murder. I want to see for myself, want to see the brand she carved into his iron skin, want to see the wounds she melted into him.

And what if the Cove gets swallowed up just like the Deserts was? What if we’d waited just a little too long to go visit, and I’d never gotten to see the land where Grandma Noct and Grandma Quark lived while she was pregnant with Aunt Xero? An aunt I’ve never met, but still, she’s family. She’s blood, and it was one of Grandma’s happy places. I almost missed out.

Oh, I open my mouth to say no, I swear I do. But what comes out instead is a good bit closer to yes. “He made quite an impression on my family,” I answer, searching his strange grey eyes, torn between knowing it’s a stupid, stupid idea and a ridiculously huge mistake, and this craving clawing at my insides. I glance over my shoulder again, considering. “Iiii don’t know. How long would it take to get there and back, do you think?”
    Do the rain dance like you're on fire.

Messages In This Thread
    wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 06-25-2016, 10:51 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 06-29-2016, 05:08 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 07-10-2016, 07:19 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 07-28-2016, 02:14 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 08-06-2016, 01:32 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 08-06-2016, 10:55 PM