• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

wolves in our own skin; raelynx

Wolves in our own skin, we're savages; we act so primitive.
    It doesn't take long, only a couple of minutes after I pass the edge of the territory. I still have the lingering scent of Grandma Quark's and Uncle Pazuzu's favorite patrolling shapes in my nostrils when I encounter a stranger. A rather horrific-looking stranger, but I've seen my dad looking pretty messed up and scarred, so I'm not about to judge. Even if something about the blackened, disfigured skin and the complete lack of hair on his body has chills tingling along my spine at the same time my stomach clenches with excitement.

Someone new. Someone new, and maybe a little bit dangerous.

I give him a welcoming smile as he walks over, his grey eyes on me but strangely expressionless. It's actually a little bit uncomfortable, the way he's looking at me. The way he walks over, invading my personal space in a way that would be fine with family or a close friend but feels awkward coming from a stranger.

Maybe he's like Tycho though, and social cues aren't his strongest suit. Granted, Tycho tends more toward the opposite, making too little eye contact and keeping too much space between himself and everyone else. Avoiding physical contact unless he's feeling extremely affectionate, for him. So even when he gets a little too close I don't back away. I just shift my weight slightly, drawing back just enough that I still feel like I can breathe without brushing against him.

“Hello, Raelynx. My name's Dara.” Just like the scarring on his skin, Raelynx's voice kind of reminds me of Dad's too, or the way it used to be at least. Dark and gravelly, rough from years spent screaming at the moon. It took a long time for Grandma to heal him, for him to get to a place where he could let her. Now his voice is still dark and deep, but there is a rich crooning note to it now. Much less tormented. Still, there's something almost comforting in the sound, even as his body language makes the back of my neck tingle unpleasantly. His voice is a raspy reminder that life isn't always so kind, so peaceful.

“Oh, I'm just exploring a little,” I answer, smiling at him again and meeting his eyes, the odd intensity in them an interesting contrast to their unassuming grey color. “What brings you to Echo Trails? Or close enough anyhow. Home is just a few minutes back that way,” I add, turning my head away from him to glance briefly back the way I came just to illustrate my comment.

"Are you looking for someone? If they live here, I'm sure I can find them for you."
    Do the rain dance like you're on fire.

Messages In This Thread
    wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 06-25-2016, 10:51 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 06-29-2016, 05:08 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 07-10-2016, 07:19 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 07-28-2016, 02:14 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Raelynx - 08-06-2016, 01:32 PM
    RE: wolves in our own skin; raelynx - by Dara - 08-06-2016, 10:55 PM