• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  it's always getting stranger than I thought it ever could
    i showed him all my teeth & then i laughed out loud,
    because i never wanted saving, i just wanted to be found

Even though she doesn’t flinch away from his touch, it is a habit that she cannot seem to break, that she still tries her best to hide the fact that she is happy—relieved, almost—to see the way that he reaches for her. She fights the urge to lean into him, afraid that he might feel and read her every thought if she allowed herself such closeness. But there is something in the back of her mind, a voice, that tells her she runs the risk of actually pushing him away if she keeps going on like this; if she continues to play it cool to the point she may as well be ice.

It would be so easy, to simply let herself press back into him, to just see where this path might lead if she weren’t afraid to follow it.

But all the things that could go wrong flood her mind, overriding anything that she might feel or want, and she might have managed to once again barricade herself inside her self-imposed fortress if it had not been for the warmth of his breath against her cheek.

It was only a breath, only the ghost of his actual touch, but it still sends a shiver up the length of her spine and draws her in like gravity, her body leaning towards his whether she wants it to or not.

“I’d feel like I should tell you that you don’t have to wait for me,” she begins, and at first she speaks with her usual lilting cadence, that teasing coyness that comes to her far too naturally. Her lips brush against his mane, and she can feel the weight of his wings against her side, and something in her shifts, changes, as she averts her eyes to the ground and admits quietly, “but I’m glad that you do.”

It felt like a confession, but instead of the coiled knot in her chest loosening it seems to twist itself tighter. The urge to move away from his closeness—to restore a bit of the shield she had lowered—comes again but she resists, and she is certain that he must feel the erratic way her heart pounds behind her ribcage. She almost doesn’t hear his question, but the feel of his lips tugging at her mane demands her attention, though she does not look at him yet. The internal war she has been fighting starts up again, her mind racing almost as quickly as her foolish heart.

She could lie; she could make her encounter with Lie sound like it had been more than it actually was. She could use it to keep space between them, to lead him to believe that he, too, is just another conquest, another thing to distract and entertain her. 

But that voice is there again in the back of her mind, the one that tells her to stop before she makes a life-changing mistake. The one that tells her she will never know where this path goes if she doesn’t follow it.

Finally, she looks at him, ocean-blue eyes finding his face, and her pretty golden lips twist into a small, knowing smile as she shakes her head. “No, I didn’t,” is all she says at first, holding his gaze. She could say more; she should say more, but she can’t bring herself to do it just yet. She can only hope that maybe he can read between the lines of all the things she doesn’t know how to say, and know that the fact she came back at all meant more than any words could express anyway.

Leaning closer, she brushes her muzzle against his neck, trailing the slope of it down to his shoulder as she asks, “and what did you do while I was gone?”
    A D R I A N A

@assailant

Messages In This Thread
    RE: it's always getting stranger than I thought it ever could - by Adriana - 08-06-2023, 11:08 PM