• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i'll reach out my hands in the dark - famkee
    “A storm.” He says. “One so vast it destroyed most of Beqanna. There were other storms before, and the arrival of strangers in the sea. But nothing so big as this.” It is not the most detailed of answers, but Malik knows little else. He’s heard the same stories that all Beqannaian children have, of the world being destroyed and reformed.

They need only wait it out.
    He’s sure of that.

He will be less sure later.

In the meantime, he continues the same search for Sickle that he had before the destruction. Single minded focus, and he glances up to meet Famkee’s gaze as she asks how long it has been.

“I’ve lost track,” he answers, “Years.”

Her home had been destroyed as well, she says, through war and famine rather than natural disasters. Now she’s come to find her twin in another destroyed world, having lost everyone and everything else. The sheer hopelessness of it strikes him, and Malik makes no effort to amend her assessment of her current position.

Though he seeks Sickle, he knows where the rest of his family is. Not in Hyaline, where they should be, but safe nonetheless. What would it be like to have nothing, to be entirely without family? It’s a rather chilling thought, one that reminds him of how Sickle must feel.

The similarities between his missing sister and this mare have moved beyond coincidental. Though Malik does not hold the same belief in Fate that his ancestors had feels inconsequential in this moment. For what else could this be but Fate, guiding him toward this stranger with a story so like his own? He can’t walk away anymore, not now that he’s acknowledged this.

“Would you like help finding your brother? My mother is… ” he trails off, realizing the inaccuracy of hat he’d been about to say. “She was Queen of Hyaline, and well connected. Perhaps, or someone she knows, has heard of your brother.”

@Famkee

Messages In This Thread
    RE: i'll reach out my hands in the dark - famkee - by Malik - 07-23-2022, 06:33 AM