• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    [private]  everything that hurt taught me how to grow

i am the mace, the map, the fall and the high

Perhaps it is the curse of lightness to birth darkness. It makes as much sense as anything else in this strange existence. Would explain why Reave had grown into something so corrupted when his parents are two of the kindest people to have existed in this world. Or maybe, given his blood, it is they who were the anomalies and not he.

Or, quite possibly the most sensical explanation of all, none of that truly matters and Reave had carved his own path through fate. That’s the one he always chooses to believe. He despises the thought that he must have been born for a specific purpose and refuses to give any credence to it.

Does that make him foolish or enlightened? Or simply another cog in the machine of life?

One could go mad attempting to figure these things out, but Reave is no longer certain he hasn’t already started down that path.

She does not flinch beneath his appraisal, nor does she shy away from returning it in kind. There is something undeniably pleasurable about that, a challenge he cannot resist. He doesn’t even try to. Her response causes one equine brow to wing up in surprise followed swiftly by amusement. Her declaration makes him decidedly curious about what she would consider entertainment if she is seeking it in a place like this.

Her next comment, however, draws his gaze to the ruins surrounding him. With an offhand grin, he replies almost without thought. “Aren’t we all?”

Returning his piercing blue gaze to the young woman beside him when she continues, he eyes her with an inscrutable expression. The silence stretches for a long moment before he finally says, “I might.” And it’s true enough. If he dug deep enough, he might be able to learn why this place echoes with despair. But he had already come to the conclusion it would not be an easily won answer, and he’s not quite sure he is ready to make the sacrifice it would require. Instead he steps closer, gaze searching as he stares at her, the corners of his lips lifting slightly. “But is that really what you want to know?”

reave

@Aubergine

Messages In This Thread
    RE: everything that hurt taught me how to grow - by Reave - 03-25-2022, 09:56 AM