• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  the only love i ever found, any
    ennis
    He braces himself. 
    Someone so full of life and wonder and courage will likely think he’s silly for being afraid. He expects her to laugh in his face as Anaise so often does, tell him not to be such a worry wart, live a little.

But she does not laugh. No, she accepts this as a very real danger and he releases the breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. She looks up to the sun but he does not follow her gaze, just studies her as she contemplates it. 

Not only does she not laugh or accept this as truth, she looks to him and gravely says she’d be afraid, too. And his taut, trembling muscles begin to relax. Because he has only ever been frightened alone—Anaise does not seem to be afraid of anything—but this fox-turned-filly is looking at him and there’s no hint of a joke in her expression.

His heart brims with a strange fondness for the girl despite the fact that she had tried to jump on him. (And there is only the hint of a new seizing when she asks him two questions he doesn’t know how to answer. But the thought that she is not immune to fear the way Anaise seems to be lends itself to a strange sort of calm. Or perhaps it is resignation.)

He swallows thickly and glances quickly up at the sun and then back again. “I don’t know if it’s gonna happen, but I hope it doesn’t.” He could likely ask his mother what she thought of the phenomenon but he doesn’t want to get Anaise in trouble. Maybe it means something bigger than either of them realizes.

He rolls one shoulder in a kind of shrug then. “I don’t know that either. I’ve never seen anyone else turn into the sun.” But he is young and hasn’t seen much of anyone at all, if he’s being honest. “She could have been lying,” he says after a moment, a relucant confession. “She likes to tease me.

i see that scene, i hear that voice
    Hearts and flowers: my drugs of choice

@Sokali

Messages In This Thread
    the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 09-19-2021, 03:34 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 09-24-2021, 06:24 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 09-25-2021, 01:31 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 09-26-2021, 03:52 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 10-02-2021, 09:57 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 10-14-2021, 06:33 PM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by ennis - 10-16-2021, 10:26 AM
    RE: the only love i ever found, any - by Sokali - 11-04-2021, 05:21 PM