• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  keep a light on in my soul
    The ache that Vastra feels when leaving Tephra does not belong to her - she grieves for Svedka’s loss of his home, for his missing siblings, and that the safe home she had invited Brunhilde to had turned, literally, into a nightmare. Their sights instead turned to Ischia, a nearby island. Close enough to be similar to home but far enough, hopefully, to escape the nightmares.

There had been a reason why Vastra had chosen to swim with the rest of them instead of fly, but as soon as her wings became too soaked to be useable she had forgotten what that might be and had spent the rest of the short trip with a scowl darkening her storm-grey eyes. She had the same aversion to swimming as the feline shapes that she favoured, and it did not occur to her to try something that was more aquatic until she spots Ciroc as a harp seal making landfall and Sundari right behind her moving from a blue-striped dolphin to a giggling beaver as she trots the heavy body up the sand.

Their daughters are smarter than her, which has only been slightly aggravating as they get older.

A wordless grumble accompanies Vastra as she emerges from the water, feeling more like a drowned rat than a cat, but Svedka is right there and the grumbling turns into a small noise of appreciation as she leans into his touch. Feeling her body relax under his attention while her gaze sweeps the sand and the island. It has a similar look to Tephra - and the tropical climate has become a favourite. She watches as first Ciroc and then Sundari disappear into the trees, feeling no concern for them. They are bright, but if they get pecked in the process it will only help them learn.

And it is not very difficult to keep her attention here in the shallows with Svedka. “Of course.” Vastra tells him, a small smile - and that damn sparkling - removing the edge from her gaze as she brushes her muzzle against his skin. She doesn’t have the right words to expand further, to tell him she’d always follow him. She could survive the nightmares, but she wanted to be in a place he could find her and the decision to be with him had been an easy one to make. For him, for their children, and for Brunhilde and the ones she was carrying as well - the fire mare had experienced enough nightmares in her lifetime. To have them all together, somewhere she could keep them all safe, was a dream.

Vastra also does not know how to say her hopes, that the darkness over Tephra will be temporary like the one that had stolen him from her or that his siblings will find them here before long. A plan forms for her to scout Tephra every day for the once-rulers if she must, herding whoever she might to safety. But though these kind thoughts churn in her brain she instead asks “Have you been here before?” before stepping further onto the sand.

She does not want any distance between them but it's required for what comes next - the unfurling and shaking of her wings to get as much water out of them as possible. And maybe, maybe she doesn't make much of an effort not to send it his way as a playful light dances across her expression.
    VASTRA

@Svedka

Messages In This Thread
    keep a light on in my soul - by Svedka - 09-13-2021, 06:30 PM
    RE: keep a light on in my soul - by Vastra - 09-14-2021, 07:44 AM
    RE: keep a light on in my soul - by Svedka - 09-19-2021, 12:24 PM
    RE: keep a light on in my soul - by Vastra - 09-26-2021, 08:05 PM
    RE: keep a light on in my soul - by Svedka - 10-02-2021, 05:39 AM
    RE: keep a light on in my soul - by Vastra - 10-04-2021, 08:33 AM