• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  collided into you, any
    DRETCH
    ... and from your lips she drew your hallelujah

I am not sure what wakes me, but even before my surroundings register, instinct drives me to my feet. I scramble over still slumbering limbs and curse my sluggishness when I nearly trip onto my face. I do manage to catch myself but not without knocking the snow from the heavy-laden boughs on my exit, covering myself in the stuff. Adrenaline tickles and stretches my skin as I dart out of my lurking place, darting left and right, then right again.

Sweat dampens my skin and the tips of my coat glitter with frost before I slow my wild pace to a casual walk. My throat swells until I can’t hold it in any longer and I meet the cold moonlight with a soft laughter that belies unrestrained turbulence of my aura. Something tugs me in its direction, an intangible draw that I follow without qualm. Snow crunches underfoot as I draw deeper into the shadows, the slower pace giving my lungs a chance to recover. When I can hear more than my breath in my ears, the overwhelming sense of …

I pause, adrenaline again spiking under my dark hide and this time I embrace it, drink it in. Stilled like a doe caught out in the open, my head snaps around to the sound of a wheezing death rattle. For a moment I think something has died, succumbed to the frigid darkness, but there it is again. And again, drawing closer. Something wicked this way comes …

Resisting the urge to shift (not fully, at least; there are a lot of animals that see better in the dark than my natural form can), it is the yellow eyes that I spot first. Niklas rarely wears that color; his creatures do, but the shade is wrong and – I tilt my nose, sniffing at the cold air – they do not reek of brimstone. They don’t smell of anything, actually. The air is thick with death and dark promises, though, and I find myself edging closer. My intrusion on the shadow creature and his companions’ path is deliberate, a tilt of my head and rove of my grey eyes preceding my question. His smile is a familiar one and it probably says something of me if I find twisted comfort in the familiarity. He is so dark he swallows my gaze, a walking black hole that threatens to pull me in, cold and predatory. “Are you as hollow as you feel?”

html © dante.

@ jamie

Messages In This Thread
    collided into you, any - by jamie - 08-30-2021, 03:28 PM
    RE: collided into you, any - by Dretch - 09-05-2021, 06:17 PM
    RE: collided into you, any - by jamie - 09-06-2021, 06:42 PM
    RE: collided into you, any - by Dretch - 09-07-2021, 01:45 PM
    RE: collided into you, any - by jamie - 09-08-2021, 03:16 PM