• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I'd pray but I know there's nothing else
    mazikeen
    Mazikeen scowls a little as she approaches and hears Gale's explanation of an argument, and how the twins had been hidden away from him as a result. It's a very simple version of the truth, easily working for both her and Wishbone. So much effort spent trying to hide them away, and here one of them is anyway. Had he stolen her too?

Her mind is drifting in thousands of directions and one of them considers how she’d wanted to find him, wanted to chase what she had felt that night. Mazikeen even had an excuse while it was still autumn - wanting to make absolutely sure that she was pregnant. It was a good excuse, she thought, and one that always started her on the hunt, sometimes a few times a day, but in the end she would force herself to do something else. Anything else.

There’s a small moment, when he greets her with a kiss and lingers nearby, where she wishes she hadn’t convinced herself to stop - where she thinks about how many times they could have met between then and now - but whatever desire there is in his proximity it is buried beneath the weight of everything else. The furious look in his eyes helps keep it down and away from her. She frowns back at him, her glowing markings solidifying - her own anger wanting to rise to meet his.

Mazikeen isn’t entirely sure what he’s warning her about, what her part is supposed to be in this, so she tries to follow his lead. That is familiar ground, at least. So she reaches out to touch him back, a brief, I understand touch (though she does not understand at all) and she finds a smile to erase the pain and confusion on her face. She turns from him to their daughter and forces some lightness into her tone - the same as she had done in Taiga. “You did surprise me.” The words are easy to say because they aren’t false, and neither are the ones that follow. “But it’s good to see you here in Hyaline, Sickle.”

The girl mentions going back to Tephra and Mazikeen’s attention drifts back to Gale, something akin to cold amusement on her expression. She doesn’t want to needle the Curse’s temper in front of Sickle, or anywhere there are other victims, but she makes no move to answer this question - leaving it for him to explain whether or not Sickle will go back to the only home she’s known.

@Gale

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I'd pray but I know there's nothing else - by Mazikeen - 06-26-2021, 09:21 AM