• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I can see a fire from a mile away
    chasmata
    It had been a double-edged sword, the sun’s return. 
    On the one hand, it had been nice that she had never had to worry about finding someplace to hide from its light. On the other hand, it had never truly been night, which meant that her vision never truly sharpened. She had existed in a perpetual state of half-blindness for years in the darkness, vulnerable. 
    (Not to mention that the sun had returned so suddenly that she’d been caught out and unawares, blinded completely and unable to find shelter until nightfall. She had been convinced then that if she’d had to wait even a couple hours longer, it could have killed her.) 

But she has eased herself back into the routine she’d established in her youth. She tucks herself away in caves during the daylight hours, hidden safely away from the light, and emerges again around sunset. 

And she wanders without any real direction, sticking mostly to the common lands because she knows her way around. Because she knows her way back to the cave that shields her from the light. Because she knows that she is safe here. Because this is where she weathered the darkness and she is not certain if her parents made it through or if they still call the Cove home. Even more than that, she’s not sure she wants to know.

So, she ventures down to the river and cannot stop the grin that creeps across her face at the sight of a familiar blue spark. (Though those sparks had burned her once.)

I should have known I’d find you by the water,” she calls as she approaches, smiling still. It is not lost on him how hesitantly he reaches toward the water and she jerks her nose in the direction of those blue sparks. “Can’t you just heat up the water with those?” she asks in a teasing tone.

the moonlight, baby, shows you what’s real
    but there ain’t language for the things i feel

@[Laurelin]

Messages In This Thread
    I can see a fire from a mile away - by Laurelin - 05-27-2021, 07:52 PM
    RE: I can see a fire from a mile away - by chasmata - 05-28-2021, 06:33 PM