• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I am a mermaid that you dreamt // Moira
    The kitten-guppies prefer to spend the midday sleeping, so I leave the trio of baby felis marus to their dreaming and lazing about in search of something else to occupy myself. I know that Acciona is busy, but I wander toward her favorite beach anyway because there is a slim chance the porpoises might be passing by on their way to their afternoon hunting and I could join them for a swim.

I walk toward the sea, my dark hooves sinking into the bone white sand. I have been out of the water for some time, caught up playing with the more terrestrial of the marus kittens, and the glittering gold and violet fins along my dark body droop in the bright sun. I consider skipping into the surf. But touching the water will begin the shift quickly, and my twin sister’s cove is not the best for a nereid’s sand-to-sea transformations.

Better to stay on land, I decide, and begin to trot parallel to the ocean along the firmly packed sand just out of reach of the surf. The spring sunshine is warm on my satiny grey sides, and even though they do not look their most glorious on land, the glint and glitter of the fins along my neck, sides, and legs and the scales on my underbelly are a lovely sight.

I am ever hopeful that the next visitor to the island might appear on my watch, and for a moment my heart skips a beat when I see movement ahead. Closer, I find that it is my mother rather than someone unknown, but I still leave the shoreline to come closer and affectionately bury my face against her neck before pulling away.

“Hey Momma!” The kingfisher that has been following along through the trees now comes to rest on my back. The sensation of his small claws reminds me of my companion’s other new-found ability, and my violet eyes light up at the prospect of telling my mother.

“Look what we can do!” I glance over my shoulder at the bird whose gold, purple, and white coloring matches my own, and nod my head. The bird with no name opens its black beak and emits a noise unlike any other kingfisher. To me it sounds like the waves on a summer day, a compelling noise that draws my attention, and I am curious what my mother might know of it.

Satisfied, I nod and the noise stops, and I look back at my mother.

“What do you think?”

@[Aquaria]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I am a mermaid that you dreamt // Moira - by Moira - 05-26-2021, 09:42 PM