• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I could make it better for you
    I am pleased when the bony face turns to me, and then my mouth forms an O of surprise at the words he says. "But-" I stammer, my world suddenly shifting on its axis. "You're not supposed to say no. They always come home with me." I'm whining, and I know it, but my world is not working how it ordinarily does, and it feels like a trick. 

My little objections are quickly overrun by the arrival of others. I can hardly see the lady who speaks, her coat is so blended with the dark. The wolves she mentions take me by surprise. I had missed their presence, had been dozing when they left. The words she directs at me grate on my chest, the way she talks to me like I'm a baby. I push down the annoyance. Talking back only ever gets me bruises. 

So I subside into the shadow, while the grown ups talk about wolves. I've been denied my new friend, and I'm sulky about it. He seems to have more independence than the bony companions I usually find in the woods. Should have known it was too good to be true. 

My mind wanders now as I wonder if they will care if i leave. I doubt it. Unless I'm in trouble, it's rare anyone notices if I'm there or not. It's only because I turned to go that I catch a glimpse of another moving figure against the black backdrop. The flicker of eyes, yellow, dart and disappear. New eyes, white this time, gleam unnaturally as they pass over this little grouping. 

I edge nearer, curious but wary. Balto's eyes look that way sometimes. Cold and distant, and that's usually when it's not a good time to be near him. Maybe it's the same with this shadow, but there's only one way to know for sure. My delicate hooves impress on the damp earth as I look up at it. "Hello," I say softly, wondering if I'll even get a reply, or just a swift bite to the shoulder. 

@[Livinia]

Messages In This Thread
    I could make it better for you - by Tamlin - 01-24-2021, 07:03 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Calavera - 01-25-2021, 05:27 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Livinia - 01-25-2021, 10:45 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Niklas - 01-26-2021, 03:26 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Tamlin - 01-28-2021, 06:05 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Calavera - 01-31-2021, 05:19 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Livinia - 02-03-2021, 01:04 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Niklas - 02-10-2021, 05:44 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Tamlin - 02-13-2021, 04:52 PM
    RE: I could make it better for you - by Calavera - 02-16-2021, 06:59 PM