• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I met the devil when I was a child, and I've never forgotten
    Nexu doesn’t miss her target very often. She is a lonely shadow, unlike this pair, and it has made her an excellent hunter. She has been forced to rely solely on her own strengths to feed herself; and though there had been a time where Partner had caught her meals on occasion, these infrequent gifts had never dulled her capabilities. In this way, her seclusion from a hive has sharpened her, made her into a Predator fit to hunt any Prey with deadly independence.

Yet she miscalculates this charge and when her crown swings on empty air, she gives a low chitter of disapproval. She doesn’t like to fail (and the lingering weight of Partner’s disappearance combined with the fact that she has failed her species so far, with no hive or children of her own, further fuels a fire that has already been burning) and her eyes flash with anger when the creature lands a blow on the smaller Predator.

The monster, white-eyed and slippery, grabs the Queen and even Nexu knows how precarious of a situation this is. Father and Sisters had been her hive as a child, but none of the daughters had grown into a high-crowned Queen. But there is something instinctual — a thrumming war-drum in her blood — that tells her she must protect the Queen at all costs, even if it means sacrificing her own life as the next generation.

She doesn’t charge, certain the creature’s claws will slice her thick armor, but instead nimbly dashes to its backside. With its forelimb grasping the Queen, it would be difficult for the Other to pivot in such a way as to face Nexu. And she is correct; despite the monster’s size and agility, it can’t twist to face her, and nor does it appear willing to do so, with the Queen and her companion facing its front.

It doesn’t take her long to identify the creature’s tender points (a technique Father taught her, for every creature has a weakness) and as she races forward quickly, she aims her crown for the splashes of boiling oil where the acidic blood had sprayed. Her only hopes are that the Queen will keep the Other tied to its place and her approach will be silent enough to be a surprise.
    credit to fangs of bearbones.

@[Ripley and Nostromo]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I met the devil when I was a child, and I've never forgotten - by Nexu - 01-08-2021, 12:04 PM