• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

one warm day is all I really need; Mazikeen

She splashes down in front of him and he is sprayed again, though this time by water rather than stink – a much more suitable solvent.  Through beaded droplets on his eyelashes, he sees her rise from the shallows as the dreaded beast they had only just battled and defeated.  Her eyes are playful though, and he knows he has little and less to fear from this version of their enemy.  Besides, she doesn’t stay in the shape for very long.  In another moment, she shifts into the white-furred canine she had been before.

The transformation elicits a renewed spark of joy in his own borrowed body.  He feels himself waggling in the water from head to tail, creating little swirls and eddies around his limbs.  Maze tells him the stink is temporary, but even that trouble seems infinitesimally small to him now.  Life has always been easy to Barrow and smiles have always come readily, but there is something about being a dog that makes even his sunny past pale in comparison to now.  All he can even think about is now, he finds.  Everything else is insignificant.  All that matters is what is in front of his gentle eyes.

And right now that is his very best friend.

“No!”  He barks out emphatically, shaking the thick scruff around his neck at the same time and hopefully sending a few retaliatory drops in his companion’s direction.  Barrow grins at her before tilting his head and really considering her question.  “I mean, I don’t think so.  I did have a rather strange and vivid dream a couple of months ago…perhaps it was less of a dream than a quest.”  Their world is fantastical, after all; it wouldn’t surprise him to learn what he had experienced was more real than surreal.  If all he came out of it with is his newfound ability to become a canine and no permanent mental or physical trauma, then he knows he is truly fortunate indeed.  Oh, the horrors he’s heard about other thrill-seekers who did not fare as well after their adventure ended.

“What about you though, and your own test of mettle?  How did the Alliance go?  All that fighting and sweating and bleeding…” He shakes his head again in somewhat mock unease.  The idea of it is wholly unappealing to him, but he knows the same cannot be said for Maze.  She looks well enough, but he wonders if there is more than meets the eye.  She seems happy enough, too, and he has no reason to believe it could have been anything other than a spectacular experience for the feisty young mare.  He’s even smiling as he steps forward to eye her new marking with a curious glean to his expressive, tri-colored face.

Barrow

photo by: Jorge Alcala

@[Mazikeen]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: one warm day is all I really need; Mazikeen - by Barrow - 01-19-2021, 03:07 PM