• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Deep in the darkness lies my beating heart [Yanhua]

one lives in hope of becoming a memory

The silence of the forest is deafening. It makes the seconds stretch into minutes, and the minutes into hours. It feels like a lifetime of laying there, crying into my knees, when in reality, it was probably only a matter of minutes. In those minutes, my mind wanders far from this little corner of the woods in which I lay. I wonder what mother is doing now. Had she woken up and panicked that I was gone? This was such a terrible idea, wandering away from her. She was probably freaking out, as we speak.

Though it is summer, the morning is still somewhat cold, and now that I’m not walking, the cold sets in, biting at my thin coat. I begin to shiver. Perhaps it was the cold, perhaps it was the anxiety running through my veins. Part of me wanted to get up and run, but I had no idea where I was. Mother and I had only been here for a few days, and I hadn’t yet had the opportunity to explore the lands yet. Not only that, but the place where I was born had been a massive meadow, so there wasn’t a lot of forest to explore. This entire world was foreign and, now that I was on my own, scary. I should have waited for mother to get up.

I am so consumed by my own emotions that I don’t sense the stallion approaching. Nor do I hear his cloven hooves on the soft earth of the trail. It is his voice that raises me. The melodic sound rings into the chilly morning air like a lullaby. Still, it startles me, and the moment I hear it, I scramble to my hooves, clumsily whipping around to face him.

My first impression of him is that he is so big. I mean, I’d met him before, when mother and I had first come here, but without her by my side, the world felt bigger, and he did, too. It could also be the fact that I’m scared witless right now. My legs tremble beneath me, and my eyes are large saucers, the whites obvious on the edges of my blue eyes, blue eyes that match his. My color is the same as his, as well, well, except the fact that my tail was blue (a detail that bothered me, since my mane wasn’t blue to match).

He asks me why I’d left my mother, and for a moment, all I can do is stand there and gawk up at him, my mouth falling open idiotically. I blink for a few seconds, then shake my head, my soft, flaxen mane wiggling like jello. “Um…” I say, unsure of what to say exactly. “Mama was sleeping, and I… I hesitate for a moment, shifting my eyes down to the ground while I shuffle my hooves in the dirt. “I wanted to see you, actually.”

Now that he’s here, though, I’m not sure exactly what I wanted to see him for of what I wanted to say. I mean, there had been a thousand questions in my mind before about him, none that I’d asked mother. I’d been afraid to mention him, because I knew that she was sad about him, and I didn’t want to make her anymore sad than she already was. All of those questions, however, had simply flown from my mind the second I realized he was there, and instead, I’m left standing there before him, looking like an idiot.

memorie

Photo by Saffu from Unsplash

@[Yanhua]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Deep in the darkness lies my beating heart [Yanhua] - by Memorie - 12-05-2020, 09:40 PM