• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I wouldn't know where to start

Her midnight eyes roll in a good-natured manner when he destroys any possibility she might have thought he was strangely sentimental about children (and she had been surprised, for a moment before he chased it away).

In an odd way his ambivalence about their encounter makes her feel better - relieves some of the guilt. She hopes this is the last time they ever talk about it, though, hopes she can just brush that memory aside.

As if she was any good at not overthinking her mistakes.

And then - she can’t help the short, strangled laugh at his response to her question and his scowl - as though he were just as disappointed with that truth as she was. So she had gone there for nothing.

“Well why not?” The words are a harsh whisper as they are spat out. It’s an odd thing, knowing someone you’ve considered an enemy for most of your life isn’t actually evil incarnate. Still a bastard, of course, but it had to mean something that he would not have killed her just because she asked. Could it have been to spite her, because she had wanted it, or had a heart regrown in his chest? Easier to believe the first. To believe she wasn’t even worth the effort of an easy kill.

Whatever the reason, she tastes the bitterness of the realization that she wouldn’t kill him either. Not now, certainly not in cold blood. Had that changed recently or had it always been true? Even when she had let those murderous intentions eat at her soul, convince herself she wasn't whole.

She thought she would leap at the chance if it ever arose but she can feel that certainty slipping away.

Surely it will come back with his next shrug, next careless remark.

we are made of starstuff

artwork by yoricade

@[atrox]

Messages In This Thread
    I wouldn't know where to start - by Agetta - 07-20-2020, 10:34 AM
    RE: I wouldn't know where to start - by atrox - 07-20-2020, 11:21 PM
    RE: I wouldn't know where to start - by Agetta - 07-21-2020, 08:51 AM
    RE: I wouldn't know where to start - by atrox - 08-09-2020, 04:10 PM
    RE: I wouldn't know where to start - by Agetta - 08-24-2020, 08:38 PM