• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  won't you help me recover?
    aquaria
    - THE TIDE IS HIGH, IT'S SINK OR SWIM -

What she saw was not what she'd been expecting. A quartet of equids, pale as seafoam on her shore. Ghosts, she thought. They had to be. There was no other explanation, when the stallion at the forefront was one she'd long since given up as dead. 

The phantom illusion was ruined when he opened his mouth. The others chimed in, Aegean and her own son making their introductions while the pearl scaled woman watched. Creatures foreign to their island emerged from thin air, spun into other shapes and eventually faded into the sunlight. Was it like the little watery figures she drew from the sea for her restless children? Figments of her imagination painted in crystal liquid to catch the light. 

Halcyon's whisper returned her thoughts to the current place. With a flat nod, she turned to murmur back to the youthful tiger. "Halcyon. Later on, you and I are going to have a serious discussion about the definitions of the words "surprise" and "honesty"". Nostrils flaring like pink flowers blooming, she made no move to get any closer to the newcomers. 

She did not miss Pteron's reluctance to meet her gaze, nor the affection that passed between he and his apparent mate. Aegean, who was himself painted so similarly to the mermare. Violet and white, with otherworldly airs. She smiled grimly at his greeting. "Funny. My parents considered the name Aegean for me, had I been born a colt. I can't say though that I have heard much of anything about you." 

At last she let her own dusky eyes rest on the pale stallion who was the center of this reunion. An ache sat deep in her chest, one that had been weighing on her for long seasons. It had dulled over the years, had gotten livable as she had gotten on with her life, but now it flared back to molten life. "Pteron," she said, a dead man's name attached to the living being before her. "Well. I suppose I should be happy all of our practice paid off for you." 

The same bland tone. Emotionless, because if she let emotions in, she would fall apart. Halcyon wasn't supposed to find him. He wasn't supposed to be here, let alone with a whole other family. Not when he'd had a perfectly good one here. Once more she found her eyes drawn to the white stallion. Aegean. Beautiful, mysterious Aegean. Had she only been a cheap imitation of this, of him? 

Her ears tipped slowly backward, tremors of uncertainty making her crest stand on end. This was what Halcyon wanted. Maybe even needed. And Cormorant... She would have to find him. Speak to him first, and hopefully prepare him in a way she hadn't been for this meeting. With a switching of her rigid tail, the mermare nodded sharply. "Do what you must." It was what he did best, after all. 

It was rude. She knew she'd been rude, and there was no helping that now. They were here, and she wouldn't kick them off island. But she also didn't have to keep looking at them. Not until she was ready. Wordlessly, Aquaria walked stiffly to the water's edge, and further. Until the waves closed over her head, and she could release the tears that had been threatening without witness.

- MY ONLY RIVAL IS WITHIN -

@[Halcyon] @[Pteron] @[aegean]

Messages In This Thread
    won't you help me recover? - by Halcyon - 06-25-2020, 08:41 PM
    RE: won't you help me recover? - by Aquaria - 06-26-2020, 06:48 PM
    RE: won't you help me recover? - by Pteron - 06-28-2020, 12:43 PM
    RE: won't you help me recover? - by aegean - 06-29-2020, 05:07 PM
    RE: won't you help me recover? - by Halcyon - 07-10-2020, 11:09 AM
    RE: won't you help me recover? - by Aquaria - 07-14-2020, 06:23 PM